Forum - View topic
The Summer 2017 Anime Preview Guide


Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Psycho 101
Moderator


Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 14687
Location: The Bannered Mare
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

I agree that they should just ignore a show that they don't care for, but for some reason some people seem to require that if they don't like a show that they have a holy duty to convince others to do the same.

That's one of the 3 purposes and foundations of the internet. #1 is porn. Obvious. #2 is cramming your opinions down other people's throats, whatever the topic, every chance you get, and #3 is funny/cute animal photos and videos. That's your father, son, and holy spirit of the internet right there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Zoneflare



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Posts: 468
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I've found myself liking netsuzou trap. Don't know why but my tastes in anime have been different since coming back from a break in 2015.

I ended up getting the manga which makes me question the allotted time for the series. So much more dialogue is passed over that the anime should have been at least 15 minutes long.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Covnam



Joined: 31 May 2005
Posts: 1413
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:33 am Reply with quote
I only skimmed through it, but the eyes in Clione just seem off. Like they're pasted on stickers or something.

I haven't started anything from the new season yet except Teekyu's return, but it does seem like there's quite a number of interesting titles to watch.

Based on the preview guide and from what I've skimmed, probably going to watch Restaurant, Tsuredure (though that might be better binge watched) & Aho girl if I find it funny. Kakegurui, Princess Principal and Gamers also seem to be worth checking out. That'd be a lot for me for a season, but with most of the live action shows on break (GoT in 2 days!), that does give me more room to watch shows as they're airing.

trilaan wrote:
As possibly the biggest fan of the original Irresponsible Captain Tylor in the entire world(seriously, everyone should take advantage of the fact that it's free on YouTube and at least try it) the new short series, the first episode at least, does nothing for me. It certainly won't do anything for newcomers, possibly even turning them off trying the original series(a real shame). I'll watch it to see where it goes(if only to get some pleasure out of any references it makes to the original), however, I don't expect my opinion to change. I can still hope, though.

The original series is coming to Blu-ray next year, by the way. For that, I am excited(this will be my 6th time buying the series).


As a fan, I'll have to watch it as well (or at least try it), but it is so odd to have this instead of more Tylor based on the novels or something original & unrelated.

I hope that BD has a nice quality upgrade. I wouldn't mind buying it again either =)

James Beckett wrote:
. I have never seen the original Captain Tylor anime, nor do I have any familiarity with the series

James, if you have any interest in sci-fi, please check it out, it's a great show =)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mangamuscle



Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 2372
Location: Mexico
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:00 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
1. Aho Girl is over the top slapstick humor. Like much of that type of humor it has an underlying mean streak based on making fun of people. That can be quite irritating.


I would understand the uproar if Aho Girl was making fun of people as in, making fun of one individual to enclose a whole group (females or schoolgrils or twin tailed or banana loving or whatever). But it is clear that Yoshiko is not a placeholder for anyone else, she channels the three stooges (by herself), but in steroids, she makes Joey (from Friends) seem normal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mad_Scientist
Moderator


Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 2968
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:45 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
1. Aho Girl is over the top slapstick humor. Like much of that type of humor it has an underlying mean streak based on making fun of people. That can be quite irritating.


I would understand the uproar if Aho Girl was making fun of people as in, making fun of one individual to enclose a whole group (females or schoolgrils or twin tailed or banana loving or whatever). But it is clear that Yoshiko is not a placeholder for anyone else, she channels the three stooges (by herself), but in steroids, she makes Joey (from Friends) seem normal.


What "uproar"? The reactions of the preview guide on the show were mixed, about evenly matched between positive and negative, and the negative reactions weren't that extreme. Were there a bunch of ranting posts in this thread bashing Aho Girl that I missed or something?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Cam0



Joined: 13 Dec 2009
Posts: 3934
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:32 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I haven't seen any "uproar" about Aho Girl here either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village ElderVillage Elder


Joined: 25 Aug 2010
Posts: 8541
Location: Virginia
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:22 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Quote:
I would understand the uproar if Aho Girl was making fun of people as in, making fun of one individual to enclose a whole group (females or schoolgrils or twin tailed or banana loving or whatever). But it is clear that Yoshiko is not a placeholder for anyone else, she channels the three stooges (by herself), but in steroids, she makes Joey (from Friends) seem normal.


There is a whole genre of comedy that is based on a straight man and a funny guy. It has nothing to do with making fun of specific groups. The funny man says or does something stupid and the straight man verbally or physically abuses him for it. This type of humor remains very popular and fairly common in Japan from all reports. I suspect it still has its adherents in the US though I can't confirm that with recent examples.

This type of humor can be very off putting or uncomfortable to many people. Others still think it is extremely funny. It is an individual thing. I agree with those who say there hasn't exactly been an uproar, just several people saying they don't like that sort of humor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont



Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Posts: 1877
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:45 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
This type of humor can be very off putting or uncomfortable to many people. Others still think it is extremely funny. It is an individual thing. I agree with those who say there hasn't exactly been an uproar, just several people saying they don't like that sort of humor.

Humor can be very specific culturally. I could compare it to examples of British humor in shows like Benny Hill Show and Monty Python, where I perhaps because being a Scandinavian simply don't get the appeal, humorwise or not...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alan45
Village ElderVillage Elder


Joined: 25 Aug 2010
Posts: 8541
Location: Virginia
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:59 am Reply with quote
@Blanchimont

Welcome to the club. I also find a lot of British humor to be incomprehensible. My reaction to much of Monty Python was that I could see what they were doing but it didn't seem funny. It is an acquired taste I suppose.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Blood-



Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 20224
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:07 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
This type of humor can be very off putting or uncomfortable to many people. Others still think it is extremely funny. It is an individual thing. I agree with those who say there hasn't exactly been an uproar, just several people saying they don't like that sort of humor.

Humor can be very specific culturally. I could compare it to examples of British humor in shows like Benny Hill Show and Monty Python, where I perhaps because being a Scandinavian simply don't get the appeal, humorwise or not...


One hates to trade in national stereotypes, Blanchimont, but aren't Finns famous for not having a huge sense of ha-ha at the best of times? Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Cam0



Joined: 13 Dec 2009
Posts: 3934
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:25 am Reply with quote
Hey, I'm a Finn and I think British humour can be hilarious. You can check up the kind of face I make when I find something to be funny from the Kimi Räikkönen emotion chart.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Blood-



Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 20224
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:55 am Reply with quote
Way to ruin a perfectly good national stereotype, Cam0...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon



Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 7163
Location: Another Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
There is a whole genre of comedy that is based on a straight man and a funny guy. It has nothing to do with making fun of specific groups. The funny man says or does something stupid and the straight man verbally or physically abuses him for it. This type of humor remains very popular and fairly common in Japan from all reports. I suspect it still has its adherents in the US though I can't confirm that with recent examples.

This type of humor can be very off putting or uncomfortable to many people. Others still think it is extremely funny. It is an individual thing. I agree with those who say there hasn't exactly been an uproar, just several people saying they don't like that sort of humor.


That sort of setup in Japan originates from manzai comedy; the funny man will do or say something dumb or off-topic, and the straight man (I forget which role is called which) will typically give the funny man a light hit with a paper fan.

Since manzai is obviously not a universal tradition, this sort of comedy can be offputting or groan-inducing for people who didn't grow up with something similar to manzai. Western fiction DOES have the comic duo, of course, where we got the terms "straight man" and "funny man" from, but the way they interact with each other is much different from manzai. Most often, the straight man in western fiction will attempt to reason with, work with, or work around the funny man rather than, as manzai does, directly explain what's wrong with the funny man's logic. The humor in a manzai duo comes from the funny man being weird and nonsensical, whereas the humor in a western comic duo comes from the straight man attempting to remain patient with the funny man around.

Examples of comic duos in western entertainment include Laurel (funny man) and Hardy (straight man), Pinky (funny man) and the Brain (straight man), and Jay (straight man) and Silent Bob (funny man).

Blanchimont wrote:
Humor can be very specific culturally. I could compare it to examples of British humor in shows like Benny Hill Show and Monty Python, where I perhaps because being a Scandinavian simply don't get the appeal, humorwise or not...


Humor is VERY subjective, and what you find funny is based on what you, as an individual, grew up experiencing, and what your close acquaintances find funny. It's the primary reason why people say comedy is hard, and it's why comedy is by far the most subjective, your-mileage-may-vary genre of storytelling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alan45
Village ElderVillage Elder


Joined: 25 Aug 2010
Posts: 8541
Location: Virginia
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon

You forgot a few: In no particular order

Abbott and Costello
George Burns and Gracie Allen
Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis (closest to what you describe as manzai)
Bing Crosby and Bob Hope
Rowen and Martin (Laugh in, they also had a whole stable of "funny men")
The Smothers Brothers
Buggs Bunny and Elmer Fudd or Daffy Duck
Peter Sellers and the world.

The Three Stooges were already mentioned.

and I'm sure I've forgotten some.

It is not the format that causes people problems it is the level of meanness in the response.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo



Joined: 01 Feb 2010
Posts: 2940
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Also, in Western content, the straight man usually ends up losing out in the transaction. The funny man does act outrageously, but through dumb luck or circumstances, the funny man usually ends up in a better position than the straight man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 33 of 35

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group