• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
It's not that surprising. FUNimation probably thinks it has broader appeal than the usual Gundams, and is hoping to continue cashing in on Attack on Titan.

Last edited by GATSU on Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Cool, now Funi, push out SEED and 00 as well please (since Rightstuf clearly has no intention beyond older shows)
SEED is hot garbage I would not buy that no matter who distributes it. 00 however I would gladly give them my money
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
Cool, now Funi, push out SEED and 00 as well please (since Rightstuf clearly has no intention beyond older shows)
SEED is hot garbage I would not buy that no matter who distributes it. 00 however I would gladly give them my money

SEED got me back into Gundam so it still holds a special place in my heart, SEED Destiny on the other hand can go die in a tire fire.

00 I will gladly take as well, but the movie gets a HARD pass to the trash. The only thing I liked about that mess was that Setsuna and Feldt had a little moment.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

Implying something there that might not be true. If that were the case, why is RS doing Thunderbolt and G-Reco?

Who knows what their licensing agreement looks like. Why is RS not doing IBO? People were asking for Wing for years and are only now getting it. At this pace, it'll be 2022 before we get the 2000s shows (and people seem to be more vocal in those than Turn-A or X or whatever else they're prioritizing)

theNightster wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

Oh look, another kid on the internet that can't comprehend his opinion is just a drop in the sea, and other people have their own preferences.
Vash1306

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

Who knows what their licensing agreement looks like. Why is RS not doing IBO? People were asking for Wing for years and are only now getting it. At this pace, it'll be 2022 before we get the 2000s shows (and people seem to be more vocal in those than Turn-A or X or whatever else they're prioritizing)

Rightstuf is releasing what Sunrise allows them to. They said from the beginning that their goal was to release all of the UC shows and other series that has never before released in North America.

Never before released in NA such as:
Turn A
G-Reco
X
ZZ
Victory
Build Fighters
Build Fighters Try

Rightstuf release Origins and Thunderbolt. Both being the more recent Gundam Series outside of IBO. FUNimation / Chrunchyroll probably had a deal with Sunrise for streaming it.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:08 pm Reply with quote
That's going to be a pretty cool LE. Already told my husband and he's interested in picking it up if it's a good price. IBO is my first Gundam show, and I did enjoy it. And looking forward in October for Season 2. Smile
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

Oh look, another kid on the internet that can't comprehend his opinion is just a drop in the sea, and other people have their own preferences.

Hello pot, meet kettle. Quite funny you say that considering you're doing the exact same thing. While theNightster could (and should for future reference theNightster) elaborate why they consider it hot garbage they are allowed to feel that way without someone else being condescending and rude towards them. Especially since they kept their dislike to the show and not the fans nor you personally,

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

Hello pot, meet kettle. Quite funny you say that considering you're doing the exact same thing. While theNightster could (and should for future reference theNightster) elaborate why they consider it hot garbage they are allowed to feel that way, especially since they kept their dislike to the show and not the fans nor you personally, without someone else being condescending towards them.

lol, I literally said I'm happy Funi is getting IBO since maybe they can put out other more recent Gundam shows? Hello kettle
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget the part where you "literally" were condescending towards a user who expressed their own dislike for a show you mentioned. theNightster simply expressed his/her dislike for SEED and that was it. Nothing regarding you personally nor fans of it. You then felt the need to be condescending and belittling towards them in your response.Which is rather hypocritical considering you tell them that they are just some kid that "can't comprehend his opinion is just a drop in the sea, and other people have their own preferences" while displaying the exact same behavior by being condescending towards them for not liking a show you do like. You claim they need to except people have differing opinions ya you belittle them for having a differing opinion.

So I suggest you follow your own advice and realize that everyone has their own preferences and move on without any further rude comments towards users.
Nyren

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:

Implying something there that might not be true. If that were the case, why is RS doing Thunderbolt and G-Reco?

There isn't much left for RightStuf to release other than SEED and 00, and I believe Unicorn needs to be re-released as well. But really that is all that's left. 0079, 0080, 0083, Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack, F91, Victory, X, Turn A, G-Reco, Thunderbolt, 08th MS Team, IGLOO, Evolve, Build Fighters, Build Fighters Try, ah, right, they haven't released G and AGE yet either. Wing is at the end of the year. And I guess they technically forgot about SD Gundam Force, but I'd rather we all forget that exists.

To sum up, we still need G, Endless Waltz, SEED/SEED Destiny(preferably the remasters rather than the originals. Wouldn't mind the comp films either.), 00(Toss the comp films in too please.), Awakening of the Trailblazer, AGE(Memory of Eden when?), and lastly, Unicorn(Re:0096 is fine too.). I could see them getting that done by 2019.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:43 am Reply with quote
Nyren: If they run out of Gundam, they can look into other Sunrise properties. I brought up City Hunter not too long ago. Cool
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:42 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

How did you come to that conclusion? Sunrise did stream wing, see, and 00 all at the same time so a home release might follow the same trend. Besides I'm more curious how they are going to handle seed remastered seeing how there are extra scenes. Will it be sub only or will they be able to use most of the original dub and simply contract ocean studios to do the extra scenes.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:44 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

Someone's mad their interests aren't being catered to.
They will get to them eventually(They do 1-2 releases every 1-2 months. There's a lot to catch up on. More importantly I think fans of OLDER content that has had either zero English releases or poor releases have been waiting longer than fans of more recent content that already has already been released previously.), SeeD especially is going to be a nightmare. The Blu-ray will either be Sub only or will have to be redubed.

Plus, you are forgetting to add in the fact that they can only release what Sunrise allows them to. After all, they aren't releasing it themselves but only are distributing barebones English releases directly for Sunrise themselves. (The recent releases of The Origin collection and TB are puzzling as they are so recent honestly. I wish Sunrise would just directly sell us the Standard singles of The origin instead of only the LEs with untranslated extras through TRS.)
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:07 am Reply with quote
MrBonk wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

Someone's mad their interests aren't being catered to.
They will get to them eventually(They do 1-2 releases every 1-2 months. There's a lot to catch up on. More importantly I think fans of OLDER content that has had either zero English releases or poor releases have been waiting longer than fans of more recent content that already has already been released previously.), SeeD especially is going to be a nightmare. The Blu-ray will either be Sub only or will have to be redubed.

Who's mad, I'm delighted that Gundam is now at least a little free from RS' hands! Funimation is far more reliable and puts out much better quality releases. And if having 2 distributors speeds up the process, then I'll get SEED and 00 even quicker, which is the best outcome. As for SEED, since you don't like it so much, it doesn't need to be a nightmare since it can be a normal release of the old version that ain't the HD re-release. All I see is shade from people who are annoyed for some reason that somebody likes SEED and that RS isn't the only one with Gundam's piece of the pie anymore. Meanwhile I'm doing backflips out of happiness.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:28 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

Who's mad, I'm delighted that Gundam is now at least a little free from RS' hands! Funimation is far more reliable and puts out much better quality releases.

How so? I'm asking because you are literally the only person I've ever heard make this claim. I've encountered a/c issues with a number of Funimation releases in the past, but I've never encountered a problem with a Right Stuf release, so it strikes me as rather odd.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4