• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FLCL 2&3 Trailer Reveals More Staff, 2018 Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
So there's something I've been wondering about for a while now. To this day, I've yet to see Gunbuster, but I did see Diebuster on Crunchyroll last year. I've been aware of the fact that while not the same as how FLCL 2 & 3 are presenting themselves as, Diebuster is technically a sequel to Gunbuster, having come out 16 years after the first with a somewhat different production staff.

What I would like to know is to those that saw and liked Gunbuster, did you feel that Diebuster needed to exist? And if you saw Diebuster, did you like it enough that whether or not it needed to exist didn't really matter to you? I want to compare this to the whole FLCL and its sequel thing, but because I still haven't seen the original Gunbuster, I'm honestly not sure. Regardless, I'm curious to know.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
So there's something I've been wondering about for a while now. To this day, I've yet to see Gunbuster, but I did see Diebuster on Crunchyroll last year. I've been aware of the fact that while not the same as how FLCL 2 & 3 are presenting themselves as, Diebuster is technically a sequel to Gunbuster, having come out 16 years after the first with a somewhat different production staff.

What I would like to know is to those that saw and liked Gunbuster, did you feel that Diebuster needed to exist? And if you saw Diebuster, did you like it enough that whether or not it needed to exist didn't really matter to you? I want to compare this to the whole FLCL and its sequel thing, but because I still haven't seen the original Gunbuster, I'm honestly not sure. Regardless, I'm curious to know.
That may not be the best example, because Diebuster is not a sequel to Gunbuster, it has a very similar plot, but the characters and world are completely different. To answer the question though, yes I do belive that, though others have called it a cash grab(even though Diebuster was quite an expensive OVA series).

FLCL will be a different kettle of fish as it continues on, so you watch it to see what happens next, you don't watch Diebuster to see what happened to Noriko.
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
So apparently, an artist is claiming that the animators ripped off the original design for her cat-ear headphones without asking for her permission. I don't know if there's actually something to this story or if it's just one big coincidence, but here's a link: https://yuumei-art.tumblr.com/post/162540267464.

And here's the link to the website that sells her headphone design: http://www.axentwear.com/
tentensan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Kiddo626 wrote:
So apparently, an artist is claiming that the animators ripped off the original design for her cat-ear headphones without asking for her permission. I don't know if there's actually something to this story or if it's just one big coincidence, but here's a link: https://yuumei-art.tumblr.com/post/162540267464.

And here's the link to the website that sells her headphone design: [url]http://www.axentwear.com/[/at]

Yeah I heard about this... that really sucks to be honest. I mean, I heard about all the things that artist had to go through on instagram to even get those things produced. She really carws about what she made and I can understand her disappointment and frustration. I mean, to be the devil's advocate though, many people have said that "There are rip offs of the headphones everywhere so it shouldn't matter to her". The thing is she does care and it does matter to her. On her Instagram post she even said how all of them are copyrighted by her and she holds the patent. People also have told her to go after the animators but they also said that she wouldn't have much of a case. They said how things get knocked off all the time in anime and cartoons. That's why you see things like "WcDonalds" and things of that nature. It's to dodge having to pay companies or the people involved.

Honestlt, i'm curious to see what the artist plans to do about these. In the mean while, I plan on buying these from her because they look really cool. Very Happy
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I heard about that Yuumei thing. On the one hand I feel bad for Yuumei as it seems lots of people have ripped her off and the FLCL ones do look very similar, but on the other hand it's like, this isn't a super original idea, and it is possible it was a coincidence or something. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if people had thought of headphones long before Yuumei had, but they just hadn't had the thought or fanbase or support to get them actually made.

Anyway, FLCL wise, I never watched the series so I don't know if it needs a s2 or 3 or whatever but I'm sure this will be fun anyway, and hopefully won't be too reliant on nostalgia to create the enjoyment.
teferi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:26 am Reply with quote
Kiddo626 wrote:

And here's the link to the website that sells her headphone design: http://www.axentwear.com/

https://www.yuumeiart.com/shop/?category=Fanart

Meanwhile she's selling prints of evangelion fan art. Sounds like that whole thing about people in glass houses throwing stones.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:45 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
That may not be the best example, because Diebuster is not a sequel to Gunbuster, it has a very similar plot, but the characters and world are completely different. To answer the question though, yes I do belive that, though others have called it a cash grab(even though Diebuster was quite an expensive OVA series).

FLCL will be a different kettle of fish as it continues on, so you watch it to see what happens next, you don't watch Diebuster to see what happened to Noriko.

I think a better franchise to use as an example would be Toy Story. The first movie told a complete story, and people at that time called it lightning in a bottle too, as it was a studio's very first non-short release and no one had any faith in 3-D CGI working. Then, Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3 came out, and while opinions vary on which of the three is the best, all three are still universally regarded as very good movies, each building on and deconstructing the previous one.

That was what came to mind when I first heard about FLCL 2 and how it would be what Haruko has been doing in the years since, because the Toy Story sequels expanded on the world of the franchise: Toy Story 2 was about what happened prior, and Toy Story 3 was about what happened many years later. Any time you feel a story can't be added onto, that's a safe place to explore it further. I don't believe there is such a thing as a story that can't be added to it, just a story where nothing can be subtracted from it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3