• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio Trigger Announces 3 New Anime Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:59 pm Reply with quote
The fact that all of these are co productions has me worried. Hopedully at least the Imaishi one will be good. Can't say I'm excited about the others. Urgh, did they really have to collab with A-1?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:01 pm Reply with quote
More Imaishi yes please.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Got all those nostalgia feels from the Gridman announcement. Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad was my jam when i was a kid.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
The fact that all of these are co productions has me worried. Hopedully at least the Imaishi one will be good. Can't say I'm excited about the others. Urgh, did they really have to collab with A-1?

Am I missing something? I get that people hate a-1, but you can't say their shows haven't been hits. Like it or not, they're one of the biggest players in the industry.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
YES! more original Anime from my favorite animation company Studio Trigger is always welcome. Very Happy
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:45 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:

Am I missing something? I get that people hate a-1, but you can't say their shows haven't been hits. Like it or not, they're one of the biggest players in the industry.

I've tried and failed to really present my own way of "defending" A-1 Pictures, but I found this video that says everything and more: https://youtu.be/ZxOLsijykuo
The guy isn't saying A-1 Pictures is innocent, but that they are more or less a product of the complex internal and external structure of anime today. In retrospect, it often means that each project from A-1 is better judged on its own terms instead of placed in comparison to others within the studio. The other [unaddressed] complaint people have about A-1 is that the characters will often look similar in their face and body structure. That isn't as consistent as people say, but depending on the staff, it can show up. That's more going to depend on what kind of variety or lack of variety you're able to put up with, visually.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
A-1's work is very staff dependent in quality and people too often only focus on studios and grab onto failures. Their planning isn't always great, but they are not without good works. Though some of their work you might put their flaws more on the source than the studio. You could take issue with much of one of their recent works, Eromanga Sensei, but the production values and animation was decidedly not one of them. I'd want to see the staff involved but I have no issue with Trigger co-producing with A-1.

I'll definitely check out these shows when the come out. I don't know if I would say they are the best or my favorite, but they are certainly one of the better studios.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:

As others have noted, and Juno16 linked that great video from Canipa, it being A-1 means nothing but good. Because all it really means is that a producer at that studio knows some freelance creative staff who are available and they can get them some money. A-1 is not even remotely like what haters think it is. It's just a bunch of producers and most of their projects are built by freelance creative staff who have worked for all sorts of other studios already in the past.
Davonepresley

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Also, in regards to the A-1/Trigger collaboration, this isn't the first time that A-1 Pictures teamed up with another studio directly. 2012's Occult Academy for instance was a joint production between A-1 and XEBEC.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:22 am Reply with quote
Wait, the Japanese studio is busting out the SuperHuman Samurai Syber Squad name? That's soooooo strange, but soooo awesome.
Marzan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:50 am Reply with quote
In this world of myriad generic light novel adaptations, i can only thank the heavens for Trigger 's testicular fortitude.
Fatt_One

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:55 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Wait, the Japanese studio is busting out the SuperHuman Samurai Syber Squad name? That's soooooo strange, but soooo awesome.

That's actually amazing and hilarious. It's not the first time I've heard of a series embracing a localized name as a subtitle but this might be the first time I'm aware of that it has happened in anime.

The only clear example I can even think of is Biohazard 7: Resident Evil but that's a very different situation.(and they even reverse the names for the english version!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:40 am Reply with quote
Nice, more original made anime.
I hope this will be a trend in future. Getting tired with adaptation type anime.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:16 am Reply with quote
Dear people, instead of dooming a collaboration because of a studio's name, wait for the *staff* to be announced. That's what matters. Especially in the case of an almost exclusive freelancer studio like A-1 Pictures. People who judge the quality of a title based on the name of a studio don't seem to understand the industry very well.

As for the announcements: I'm not particularly excited about any of the projects yet. Don't really care about Ultraman and super sentai. The other two projects might be interesting, I'll be keeping an eye on those.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
Not only has A-1 Pictures made good shows, they also will more than likely be doing support work; in-betweening, paint, audio etc. Trigger will most likly be handeling directing, key-animation, backgrounds etc. Really it is a good thing, since they are small and working on 3 projects at once.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3