• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: anohana's Mari Okada Debuts as Director With Sayonara no Asa ni Yakusoku no Hana o Kazarou Ani

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Never thought I would see Mari Okada doing direction. They definitely needed someone more experienced in the position, and specifically the visual portion of direction, to assist Okada like the chief director. It looks good, so if it becomes available over here, I'll check it out.

Toshiya Shinohara has a lot of pretty good shows under his belt. In particular, if it is the visual portion you're concerned about, he directed Red Data Girl, and regardless of what you might think about what the limited episode count did to the story of that series, there is no arguing that the visuals are STUNNING! He also directed Nagi no Asukara (A Lull in the Sea), which was another visually stunning series.

In general, I don't think visuals are something we have to worry about when PA Works is involved. they have people to handle that.

I always see people trash talk Mari Okada's work right and left and have never understood why. Like this early comment from this article:
nagpo wrote:
I'm honestly surprised Mari Okada gets work. I've disliked every single thing she's done.

Really? Every single thing?

You've disliked every show she's been associated with as doing series composition or scripts? That is a huge number, and breadth of anime. She has worked on a bunch of different genres in her career. There are 64 entries on her ANN profile. Many of them are sequel series, If you take out the sequels it takes it down to 50 franchises, with genres ranging from Mecha to Romance to Action to Drama to Science Fiction to Mystery to Horror to Fantasy to Slice of Life to Supernatural to Comedy ... you name it.

If you don't like any of the things she has written scripts for, you probably just don't like anime...

Black Butler (average ANN rating of 7.86)

Toradora! (average ANN rating of 8.49)

Lupin III (average ANN rating of 7.77)

Aria - The Natural (average ANN rating of 8.12)

Gosick (average ANN rating of 8.29)

anohana (average ANN rating of 8.82)

And an original work she wrote, mostly, herself:

Hanasaku Iroha (average ANN rating of 8.33)

On average, people like her work... A lot... Anime she is the script writer or series composition artist, or both, for tend to be rated highly and sell well in both Japan and abroad.

That would be why she gets work. She's good at her job. I look forward to seeing what she does as a director.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2