• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III Gets 5th Anime Series Set in France

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:01 am Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:

I don't blame you. I blame French copyright law and Maurice Leblanc's estate.
MAKE LUPIN GREAT AGAIN!

Yeah, silly them. Who can understand they didn't allow a breach in their rights with an un-authorized sequel?

Just imagine someone try to do a comic series called Mickey Mouse the 3rd. I am sure they wouldn't have any problem. :p
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:35 am Reply with quote
Great news! France will make an amazing backdrop.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:29 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
I hear this show is a ratings bomb on Toonami right now, I guess people in the west just don't care about Lupin ? getting 0.23 on the 18-49 demos.

Nice trolling there.
It would be more correct to say that the american populace doesn't give a damn about Lupin III. After all Toonami doesn't air worldwide does it ?
Lupin III is as close to a cartoon deity in Italy and France so there you go man. Laughing
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:35 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Clyde_Cash wrote:

I don't blame you. I blame French copyright law and Maurice Leblanc's estate.
MAKE LUPIN GREAT AGAIN!

Yeah, silly them. Who can understand they didn't allow a breach in their rights with an un-authorized sequel?

Just imagine someone try to do a comic series called Mickey Mouse the 3rd. I am sure they wouldn't have any problem. :p

At least the Arsène Lupin character and novels (upon which the anime series is based) entered the public domain in France a couple of years ago. So there should be absolutely no problem in naming the anime Lupin III also in France. No more name changing necessary.
Now tell me when is the Mouse going to enter the public domain in the US ? Rolling Eyes
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
Greed: I imagine everyone who had a finger in that pie in the early 2000s was expecting Lupin to take off way bigger, 'cus of the bubble in general. But for what it was worth at the time for an older series, it helped up fairly well for quite a few years before being briefly 'retired' here. Compared to, say, Saint Seiya, at least.

Jay: Had to wait for the character to go public domain in France. But it wouldn't be Lupin III's first 'French' adventure, as there are episodes in the second series which take place there.

As for AS's ratings for Part IV, TBH, my suggestion was to put it alongside Archer on FX, where at least it would be noticed better. But since that idea was shot down, I just hope whoever is watching it on AS is at least taking enough interest in it to find out more about the series in general and spread the word.

kgw:
Quote:

Ironically, Lupin goes to a costume ball where someone dresses in a Mickey Mouse costume in one of the episodes which didn't air here in L.A. on UTB. Of course, I'm not a lawyer, but that's technically fair use, because of the parody nature of the costume. But either way, I kinda like the new paradigm where the rights-holder at least gives the fan a chance to do their own take, as long as said fan goes through the proper channels. For example, that Star Trek fan video and Garfield Minus Garfield. 'Cus the only last notable thing they were officially doing with Arsene Lupin was some forgettable '04 live-action movie with Romain Duris and Kristin Scott Thomas.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
but I'm still a little surprised since adult swim only picked up some episodes of Part II, and then ran those same episodes over and over, rather than license more Lupin,

Wouldn't have made any sense though considering Part 2's ratings never justified doing such a thing and ultimately the series was only dubbed up until about episode 80 or so.
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:39 am Reply with quote
As long as Fujiko is in it because the world needs more Fujiko and that the OP contains spoiler[nipples] then there shouldn't be a problem.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:18 pm Reply with quote
A shame people don't have the brother Cartoon Network that has Adult Swim starting at 8:00 like I do. Maybe shows like Lupin could get more viewership and not get the boot so easily.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3