• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Castlevania Animated Series Renewed For 8-Episode 2nd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:15 am Reply with quote
This isn´t an anime, as it´s a US-Canadian production, but whatever. Anime of the year goes to Castlevania! Well done Mr. Ellis, you found the story in a NES side-scroller.

If Netflix would now get to adapting Berserk, Vinland Saga and Urasawa´s unadapted suspense manga. One can only dream...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Farewell Days of Youth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:56 am Reply with quote
I guess I am in the minority here. I thought it was animated fairly well, if not great in some parts (the opening in particular), but the writing left me a bit "meh." In particular, the language. It felt like a '90s comic book more than anything. Yeah, we get it, you are making "adult" animation, but when all I remember from the first episode is a mangled kid, lots of entrails, and guys going way too much into sheep [expletive] there is a problem. And trust me, I swear like a sailor in real life so its not a manner of being straight laced and whatnot.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:06 am Reply with quote
Awesome news!! Absolutely loved the first 4 episodes. Can't wait for more
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:15 am Reply with quote
Watch the end credits, the americans that did the intro get all the promotion then all the korean and chinese names of those that worked on the show itself get much less thanks.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
Farewell Days of Youth wrote:
I guess I am in the minority here. I thought it was animated fairly well, if not great in some parts (the opening in particular), but the writing left me a bit "meh." In particular, the language. It felt like a '90s comic book more than anything. Yeah, we get it, you are making "adult" animation, but when all I remember from the first episode is a mangled kid, lots of entrails, and guys going way too much into sheep [expletive] there is a problem. And trust me, I swear like a sailor in real life so its not a manner of being straight laced and whatnot.

That's a recurring problem with adult animation. A lot of them have also worked on kids shows which are really limiting in content, so an adult writing gig tends to lead to them going overboard

Personally what turned me off more was the dialog. Aside from the swearing, what prevents me from enjoying a lot of modern American works is everything takes a page out of the Whedon and Bendis book of dialog (or Ellis, in this case I suppose). Everyone talks all cutsey and snarky to one another. It gets old extremely fast for me.

-Stuart Smith
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:05 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Farewell Days of Youth wrote:

That's a recurring problem with adult animation. A lot of them have also worked on kids shows which are really limiting in content, so an adult writing gig tends to lead to them going overboard

Personally what turned me off more was the dialog. Aside from the swearing, what prevents me from enjoying a lot of modern American works is everything takes a page out of the Whedon and Bendis book of dialog (or Ellis, in this case I suppose). Everyone talks all cutsey and snarky to one another. It gets old extremely fast for me.

-Stuart Smith

Are you trying to tell me that extended bit on Goat loving did not elevate this master piece to Citizen Kane levels?
MajorZero

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Everyone talks all cutsey and snarky to one another. It gets old extremely fast for me.

Good thing you can always come back to anime where everyone either states the obvious or speaks like a victim of severe brain damage.

It's hilarious how some members of anime community are ready to belittle anything made in the West. It's horrible than Ellis writes a joke about a sex between peasant and goat yet it's absolutely fine for anime industry to churn out a copious amount of crap about accidental perverts every year. Anime fans sure love to indulge in doublethink.
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
Great Very Happy i really enjoyed the 1st series shame it was only 4 episodes long

i just hope this leads to us getting a new Castlevania game
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
This thread sure crashed and burned quickly... I will note that the script was pure Warren Ellis, just a tiny bit less cynical than his main works. I expected more salty language though, as the show is set during what is best described as a biblical plague, with an alcoholic protagonist on top. What were some of you expecting? They didn´t spare with gory details either, as the studio had the balls to show a torn apart child corpse on screen. The skull bursting effects were mighty fine too! The only thing missing was a joke about erotic violence Laughing .

2018 is so far away, with only 8 more eps. on the horizon for this project. The studio should to Symphony of the Night next, with flashbacks to Lament of Innocence, as the series is a bit too brief of set-up as of now.

@Sage Do you mean 2018´s Bloodstained?

Last edited by residentgrigo on Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Farewell Days of Youth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:10 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:
Everyone talks all cutsey and snarky to one another. It gets old extremely fast for me.

Good thing you can always come back to anime where everyone either states the obvious or speaks like a victim of severe brain damage.

It's hilarious how some members of anime community are ready to belittle anything made in the West. It's horrible than Ellis writes a joke about a sex between peasant and goat yet it's absolutely fine for anime industry to churn out a copious amount of crap about accidental perverts every year. Anime fans sure love to indulge in doublethink.

Actually, I was pretty excited that the west was coming out with this, so I guess that is why I was disappointed and was expecting more from it. And who knows, maybe the second half will pick up? I am going to check it out when it does. Finally, yes, you are absolutely right, there is a lot to desired on the eastern end of writing as well.
Rai The Noblesse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
surprised at how good it was, .. just wish they used the game soundtrack even more.., and Alucard would not want to kill Dracula., but just stop or re-conveince him
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Awesome news!!
I quite enjoyed this one, alot.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Having watched it I have this to say: they nailed it. They finally made a good video game adaptation in the West. Hats off to Ellis and Shankar for seeing it through and for performances of the cast, even if MacTavish and Callis had little screen time. The series really drips with the kind of atmosphere I'd expect out of the series, giving that Gothic horror, dark fantasy oppression straight out of Vampire Hunter D or Berserk. Definitely looking forward to Season 2.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:

That style of dialog is not present in every anime, and we should not assume to know what type of anime MajorZero enjoys from his statement.

The cheesy dialog in some anime shows does aggravate me, but extreme violence and vulgarities is much more displeasing to me. I think there are benefits and detriments in all of media, Western and Eastern. People don't have to make their criticism exclusive to any media culture.
Peebs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Oh, boy. Are we spoiled or what?!

I felt the same way about a 4-episode season on Friday after I watched the show. I was expecting 12 episodes and when I get to the 4th one and the description gives a climax to the story, I was shock.

So I started thinking. We're in this forum because we watch anime. Those shows run between 11 to 13 episodes on average. Anything less and we're flipping tables in righteous indignation because the producers didn't give us what we wanted. At around 23 minutes each of Castlevania, it's almost a full movie's length. I mean, I even got to watch less than that 'cause the player was skipping the OP altogether. Oh how sweet that is! I did not mind at all!

I think we need to calm our tits down and take it in stride. There's going to be a second season. Think of the first one as a very long episode 0.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4