• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Searching for Star Blazers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott Dimmerman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:56 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:32 am Reply with quote
Scott Dimmerman wrote:

That isn't a link to a product, it's to search results. And the only thing in those search results that matches your description is a bootleg.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:44 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Jesus man, how conceited do you have to be to say something like that ?
I'm sure Mike Toole loves Yamato 2199, and frankly speaking between spending 100 $ for the whole show and 400 $ the choice is obvious. Unless you're shitting greenbacks all day long. And for good measure, the Italian version of Yamato 2199 is as good as the Japanese one. So you're paying 300% more for nothing if not bragging rights by buying the Japanese one.

Go to google and type "cdjapan yamato 2199 box" and you'll get the box set as first result. It's roughly $300 dollars. Of course there's shipping but so is if you're in US and importing from Italy.

If that's not enough, take the ISBN from that page, "4934569361936", search with google, and you'll get the amazon.co.jp page for it as the first result. As right now it's available there for roughly $240. It's still more than the Italy one, but for a two-cour Japanese release, it's pretty damn affordable...
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I’d like to be clear on a couple of things. One I am a die-hard fan of Space Battleship Yamato, grew up on Star Blazers in the day.

That be said, I’ve grown up and don’t need “Star Blazers” emblazed on new series get me to know that this about Yamato. We don’t need to disguise the show’s origins as a Japanese theme scifi show anymore. Reason why I don’t want a imported version of the show is because I don’t want bad dubbing and names of the characters changed because their hunting for the out of touch fan the show to watch it. However, I’m realistic and have deal with what (if ever) the show will be imported. I’d imagine that show runners over at Toonamie didn’t have the budget for the likely ridiculous broadcast costs to show Yamato.

Star Blazers 2199 and 2202 can LEGALLY be bought at ridiculous prices. Amazon Japan sold the 2199 shows legally with English subtitles inside. It’s just not Japan you need look but Asian Region ones that have English because Hong Kong and couple other former British Colonies still speak/read English.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:35 pm Reply with quote
treatment wrote:
Too bad that the current japanese producers is giving us US-fans the big middle-finger by making Yamato-2202 subs-less. They just don't want my money, I guess...

Yeah, this show is a case where I would have imported the volumes again had they had subs again like last time given the almost 0% chance of real US release (let alone one that would get a dub, let alone a real faithful dub and subs).

That said, I could understand anyone not being willing to shell out so much money for this when there's literally hundreds of big anime series to buy at US friendly prices in addition to all the other entertainment stuff vying for our money. I know I can't do it super regularly and have to be picky about the ones I do it for along with all of my other anime/games/movies purchases.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:06 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Any continued use of "Star Blazers" to refer to Space Battleship Yamato is enough to send me into a rage.

My take on it is that Shouji Nishizaki and company (wrongly) assume that because Space Battleship Yamato has such a huge nostalgic following in Japan that the same would be the case in America for the Star Blazers name. That anyone who saw and loved the series as a kid would be passing it onto their kids nowdays. This is true, I know of Star Blazers fans who have passed 2199 onto their kids and nieces and nephews, but the key thing as we all know is that the Star Blazers name isn't critical to enjoying it, but it might expose the Yamato 2199 universe to a new generation through the people who only know of it as Star Blazers. A much better way to do it would have been something along the lines of promoting it as Yamato 2199 but including the link to Star Blazers in the marketing.

Lastly, while I always thought the subtitles were overall very good, I did notice some inconsistencies in naming, for example Gamilas (the original series spelling used in the first chapter) became Garmillas (which was the spelling used throughout the remainder of the series and used as the romaji on books and model kit boxes) only to become Gamilas again by the time the movies came out in 2014. Were these spellings provided by the production team or were they sourced otherwise?

penguintruth wrote:
Well, 2199 wasn't that amazing, anyway. It lost the Kodai-Okita father-son dynamic and a lot of the original's heart. But it did have more gender diversity and more about the Gamilians, at least.

Zeino wrote:
The original's heart was a nasty undercurrent subtext of "Japan did nothing wrong in World War II" right-wing ideology. 2199 is vastly superior for going out it's way to fix that.

Especially when you factor in the plot that spoiler[Earth fired first, which in the cosmic scheme of things would have been preferable to the alternative of outright surrender to Gamilas, that really opened a grey area and prompted some introspection for a number of the characters, Especially Shima and Yamamoto.]

As for the Okita-Kodai dynamic, it was still there, just not as profoundly, because Kodai wasn't as much the focus. For me, it still worked just as well, and the improved overall storyline (including bringing elements from later Yamato productions, such as spoiler[Gatlantis and Hijikata]) more than made up for the difference. Kodai's character development has been slightly more gradual than in the original, but so far it's looking to pay dividends in 2202.

samuelp wrote:
As the person who was i charge of the English subs on those Japanese blurays, I believe I should add all I can about how those came to be included.
So why are there no English subtitles on 2202? Probably the simplest reason is that the producer whose idea it was, Mikio Gunji, is no longer a producer on it. I do not think many people were even aware the blurays HAD english subtitles in Japan.

SamP, firstly thanks for that insight. It was something I wasn't aware of, and it gives insight into how the subs eventuated. Disappointing that it wasn't a planned move on the part of Voyager, but grateful for it nonetheless.

To me, the logical reason for not including subs in the Japanese release of 2202 is that it severely undercuts revenue potential for licensing in English-speaking countries, and may have played a role in the failure of not only the Voyager release stateside, but Voyager's inability to find a local licensee such as Funi. By the time the US release had come out, many of the really hardcore fans would have bought the Japanese Blu-Rays which would have had an impact of some degree on the US sales.

SolHerald wrote:
I just wish the Yamato franchise was in the hands of more competent licensors. There is no reason such a classic series and its remakes shouldn't be streamed and have home releases.

I agree, my personal view is that it should be streaming internationally as it's released (which 2202 actually is in Italy), but it's been pointed out to me by cooler, calmer heads that maybe the licence deal has been done but they're waiting for a completion guarantee before they commit to it. From my perspective, while that may be well and good as far as mitigating risk for the home video release for 2202 goes, in the age where many weekly series are simulcast in multiple countries (and languages), they could be releasing English-subtitled episodes when the Japanese streams go live (2202 is being streamed for rent in Japan, Chapter 2 was available on cinema opening day). In any case, there's no reason they couldn't have dubbed and released 2199 and the movies by now.

Nyron wrote:
Apparently Voyager Ent is like, three 70yr old people who are probably lazy and retired and forgot they have the license. I'd love to know more lore on them.

Voyager Entertainment is the Japanese company that owns the Space Battleship Yamato property. It's currently headed by Shoji Nishizaki, the adopted son of the original Yamato's executive producer, Yoshinobu Nishizaki, who died in 2010. All the lore can be found at ourstarblazers.com.

DeTroyes wrote:
Because somebody in the west recognized them for what they were, jumped on the rights, and thought they could make a fortune if only they and they alone controlled it. But unfortunately, none of those people had the talent, connections, or the cash to take it any further.

That's not the case with Yamato, because unless a new licence has been issued to a US company without any official announcement as yet, the rights are solely with the original Japanese company - Voyager Entertainment. The old DVDs of the TV series and movies that were released in the US were released by the US subsidiary Voyager Entertainment USA - which was dissolved back in 2012 when Tim Eldred's relationship with the company ceased.

Zhou-BR wrote:
What bothers me even more is the lack of a Blu-ray release for the second classic Yamato TV series. I thought they'd finally get around to it now that the Comet Empire saga is being remade, but no dice. Hopefully there isn't anything wrong with the film masters.

Hopefully. The TV Box Set for the original series came out around the same time the second movie of 2199 opened in cinemas, so I'm kind of surprised there's been no announcement, especially since all five movies have already received the Blu-Ray treatment.

mrsatan wrote:
I'm totally confused as to what Voyager Entertainment is. I thought I'd read somewhere that Nishizaki himself created the company, hoping to distribute his shows in America all by himself. But I don't know where I saw that. If so, I don't understand how such an unprofitable enterprise stays in business. You'd think the Nishizaki family would close it down.

That's Voyager Entertainment USA, which was closed down in 2012. Voyager Entertainment Japan is the original rights holder to SBY which holds it to this day and is the key player in the Production Committee for the 2199 and 2202 productions.

Wrangler wrote:
Star Blazers 2199 and 2202 can LEGALLY be bought at ridiculous prices. Amazon Japan sold the 2199 shows legally with English subtitles inside. It’s just not Japan you need look but Asian Region ones that have English because Hong Kong and couple other former British Colonies still speak/read English.

I'm not aware of any legal, English language licence of 2199, let alone 2202 aside from the aborted US release of the former. I've seen English-language bootlegs from Malaysia, but that's about it. If you can direct me to such legitimate releases, I'm all ears. I'm highly skeptical, given I know several very knowledgeable people in the fandom who would have heard if there was a legitimate release with English subs anywhere.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:25 am Reply with quote
@ValkyrieZeroZeroOne
I am talking about English Subs not dubs. A friend mine bought for regions in Asia/Hong Kong. Which is fine with me, these are not subs that needed an American dubbing company to spruce up for a American audience. Over the years, there are bad and good subs, but the ones Yamato did were perfectly fine. I've come to not like Dubs done since they seem to have this nack of changing the dialog for no good reason or don't have enough diversity in their dubbing casting to give better voices to characters.

The old 1970s dubbing of Star Blazers had excellent voice-over staff, but signs of industry trying save money creped in there. When the failed 3rd Season of Yamato came on, the acting was radically changed they didn't even bother broadcasting it, it was so bad.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
@ValkyrieZeroZeroOne
I am talking about English Subs not dubs. A friend mine bought for regions in Asia/Hong Kong. Which is fine with me, these are not subs that needed an American dubbing company to spruce up for a American audience.

I wasn't talking about dubs, either. I was talking about licences. There's no Asian licence for 2199 to my knowledge - the only licences Voyager issued outside of Japan were to itself in the US, and to Italy. The only Asian release I know of is a Malaysian bootleg release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4