• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Princess Principal (TV + movie).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I feel like this show will likely get a second season in the future. Maybe not soon but eventually as the finale seemed like it wasn't complete.

I liked the spy thriller feel of the finale in particular when the others went to save Princess. I also really like Ange and Charlotte's relationship throughout this anime including the finale. The final episode felt kinda rushed and really open ended. Not the best to be honest but for the rest of the show, it definitely felt appealing to me.

I hope this to at least get some epilogue or something in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Sequel! I want a second season!

Okay, after yelling that through written word, the episode. Figures about how dark things were, there were some twists to come, and I would not even call them ass pulls as I think they were actually foreshadowed. The first bit was what happened to Dorothy, and it indeed appears that she was put in a counter plan. It did not spell it out, but it appears the general had forced his way into the intelligence agency, doing something to one of the leaders. And a number of people were able to work to have everything come to a head with bringing him back with undercutting the General unapproved plan of tricking the slighted colonies into a suicidal attack to sow chaos. The part where Ange (Charlotte) got berated by Dorothy for ruining their plans was pretty funny, that being we find out shortly that Dorothy was lying here as a sort of teasing of the girl who is always lying.

I think what might be sort of interesting here is that the plan kind of relied on the expectation that Ange (Charlotte) would never harm Princess (Ange), almost like someone is well aware of how protective Ange really was. The ending actually seems pretty clear that Ange and Charlotte are actually really close, at least to the rest of the team. I think what also good is that we got kind of a different side of Ange than normal, being a lot less cautious when on mission to save her friend, and probably some more genuine sides of her. I think it is somewhat interesting that when we see what is the real Ange (Charlotte), she sounds a lot like her cover personality, which in step of what we had seen, especially along the lines of the scene she says that she will lie to herself. The other part is that we really see what drives Princess (Ange), that something I did not think about before is that Ange was saying she wanted to break down walls before there even was the physical wall, and she sees that she took away what Ange might have originally been able to do and thus wants to do it for her in her stead.

A little honest, despite being generally good, I kind of have this feeling of disappointment in the ending, and I cannot even quite say what it is right now. There is not quite this level of satisfaction and finality, which I can say I am really happy with, or just that this last story did not quite sit right for whatever reason. All the more that I really want this series to continue, if not with another season, I think a movie could work, even if that would feel to kind of go against the series appearing kind of episodic with its episode timelines being mixed up. I think that I kind of feel that as despite the episodes generally separating out all of these cases, each one felt like they were actually a piece to a puzzle that we really found out how each character tics, and this last arc did not feel to give enough for putting all of those pieces together. Looking at myself, it might be because of something as small as these last arcs were little on my favourite character of the show, Beatrice. Something that somewhat surprises me that without irony or just because she is a the moe blob high pitched girl, but I amongst all of the characters I think it was Beatrice I liked the most, and felt she often had some of the best chemistry with all of the other girls. And she did not have much to do in this last two episodes.

I have been putting some thought into how I might rate Princess Principal, and it might really sound odd that I will do this after what I wrote in the previous paragraph, but I am rating it Masterpiece (10/10). It might not make sense that I could call it pretty much perfect, or that maybe I throw around that rating pretty easily but from the now 918 anime I have seen and put in my My Anime, this will be the 22nd Masterpiece, I did not even give Kobayashi-san this rating despite it was in line to perhaps best of year where I thought it was pretty amazing. And I am calling this anime a Masterpiece, because despite me saying I had a bit of a problem with feeling in how it ended, I actually cannot find places that it lacked in. Which put in other terms I think that this show managed a whole breadth of different emotions, and sold me on all of them. It was an original property, which I would say even took advantage of elements of the medium, not sure how the mixed up episode order would work in a manga or light novel.

And probably worth mention of that large breadth, is how it handled some of these different stories. The best episode I would say was the Dorothy episode with the morgue, so much mixed up feelings, with interesting world building, and a hauntingly beautiful although sad ending. Maybe I don't really know what I am talking about, but it also felt delightfully a risk. I also want to give praise with also how this show handled this decisively not Japanese setting, that I think it surprisingly not too Japanese/anime, that it probably could be something a broader audience could enjoy. I have been really wanting to recommend it, but people here the "Princess" in the title, with the cast of young girls, and get assumptions. And also, I think that this show might have had both the best OP and ED of the season, or at least the best in terms of both combined, I would kind of equate to Spice and Wolf.

Again, I really hope that this will be the end of this series. It also has some really nice potential if the right people worked on a dub. So here's to Princess Principal (Season 1).
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching Princess Principal and I really liked it. I agree with DuskyPredator that the best episode is the one about the morge. But there is a problem with the plot for me: spoiler[why central allowed the girls to come back into the spy agency after they deserted to save the princess? They were ordered to execute the princess and in the end they didn't and prevented central from killing her. Then in the aftercredits we see then in another mission as if nothing had happened.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
spoiler[why central allowed the girls to come back into the spy agency after they deserted to save the princess?]

I think we're far enough out from the show's release to make spoiler tags unnecessary, but anyway...
spoiler[I thought it was because those behind the military coup lost, and the original agency head was put back in place.]
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:41 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[I see. So there was a twin coup attempt that happened in both countries. I didn't understand that part.]

I though spoilers tag should be used to make everyone who might see the show and didn't yet to not learn about its plot before watching it. For example I usually binge watch stuff after it is finished.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:27 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
spoiler[I see. So there was a twin coup attempt that happened in both countries. I didn't understand that part.]

Not sure if I am already explained what is understood, but what happened was that an upper branch of the military discovered some of what the spy part of the country, Central, had, and decided he wanted to use it much like the military might. The reasons can be of parts like he wanted the honour of being a general in such a war, to him simply seeing his job to kill as many of the enemy as possible. To do so, he kidnapped the head of Central, who would probably be the only one who could challenge his authority of taking command, and then changed the heading of the spy agency to a much harder stance, something they clearly were not comfortable with. The plan could actually be really bad for the safety of their country for collateral damage, to things that would really harm getting allies.

The girls kind of aided in returning the head of Central to his post, undoing the coup that the general pulled, which would be a crime against their own country. The team still showed loyalty to the agency, and is still a massive asset, both in their skills, but in general what it means to have Princess Charlotte.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:51 am Reply with quote
I’m really glad that Princess Principal is being advertised here at ANN...but unfortunately, the anime is delayed until November 13th Sad
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:47 am Reply with quote
Crown Handler (movie 1)

As a full disclosure, I really try to avoid watching the less legal releases of anime movies, but seeing one for this series was enough that I kind of had to break it because I love this series. I was so ready for more, and I want to watch more, and I promise to get the BD when possible.

I at least think this was the first movie, I didn't catch much of a way in explanations for how the girls seemed to get back to normal after everything that happened. Back to normal is good, although with Ange and Charlotte having improved their relationship in being more open with each other. The movie itself was kind of self contained, about them checking in on a mole they have on the palace, and interestingly said mole could see straight away that Princess Charlotte was actually Ange who is actually Charlotte (names are still confusing). Ange herself was mostly the principal character, with the man being someone who was important to her before the switch, although I might have thought he might have had some more relevance to Charlotte who needed allies after the switch. He claimed to had not figured out that Charlotte was an imposter until after he saw Ange.

The movie kind of set up at the beginning that Ange has a soft spot for the elderly, so she was going to help Wintson even if orders looked to put him in trouble. Although there is some intrigue still over who else he was in contact with. He also seemed to be a cautionary tale for what Ange might become if she cannot separate out who she is from the lies she makes, and how it might close in on her. Most of the other characters were kind of secondary, which I think of as kind of sad, since I am fond of all of them, which I guess is a limit to the whole story to 50 minutes. So I would love to see more movies that with involve the other characters more.

My rating for the movie will be Good (7/10), which does seem like a far cry from the perfect score I applied to the tv series, and I will put that down to kind of not feeling really satisfied at this much. Which I might put down as a little crummy, since what it does do is still great, although the cracking a code thing practically feels like just cliff notes for what could be a longer story, such that I could easily see the movie extended to a bit more easily that would have fit over 3 episodes. And more setting stuff too, even though one might think already made stuff should mean is fine, I kind of had a soft spot to those parts in the series that felt more lived in, like laundromat episode or sticking around the pub at the end of the Dorothy's father episode. I can think of one moment in the movie where Dorothy was being commented on that she was putting too much brandy in her tea, and thus why doesn't she just drink the brandy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3