• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Is Anime Dialogue Recorded After Animation Is Done?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'll never understand just how the Japanese voice process can so accurately match good performances with already-done animation

It is not only in Japan, here in Mexico we also have been dubbing animation and live action with high levels of performance at least since WWII.

There is an urban legend that Walt Disney once came to Mexico city and journalist wanted to hear him speak spanish since in the Disneyland TV program he recordes a live action intro to the show that were later dubbed to spanish. They say he got so angry that he asked said the voice actor should do a bad job so people stopped saying he could speak spanish.

I suppose the same thing applies to other languages (making the USA the odd ball), would like to hear comments from other people.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
The director can always tell an actor to knock off the ad libbing in the booth if it isn't working. Some ad libbing is brilliant, of course, like Robin Williams in Aladdin. They certainly didn't start by a committee deciding that they would animate William F. Buckley Jr.

Just off the Robin Williams tangent--
In the US, Fleischer studios, in their early-sound Betty Boop 30's, still animated in the style of the silent cartoons, by animating the big over-physicalized prominent dialogue, and post-dubbing it later in the studio booth with the sound effects and music.
Making the '30's-to-WWII B/W Popeye cartoons famous for Jack Mercer letting Popeye "mumble" crazy/snarky gag lines that weren't in the script, when the character's mouth wasn't moving or his back was turned. Creating, basically, the first "ad-libbing" cartoon character, and very much inspiring Williams in the '80 Robert Altman movie...Watch a 30's B/W Fleischer Popeye, and you'll KNOW why they cast him. Wink

By the time the Fleischer studios moved to the slicker, more mainstream Famous studios to give us the color 50's Casper/Popeye, the Disney-style idea of recording first and animating later was now standard in the industry, and the character lost most of his unscripted dialogue.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Ditto in Spain. In fact, the strange thing is thinking they have the voices recorded before the animation is done. Confused
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
Simple: it's cheaper and faster. Doing "pre-lay" recording for Western animation adds a lot of lead time to the process. First the scripts have to be finalized, then the audio recorded, then edited. Then an animation supervisor has to go through the recording and map out which frames get which mouth sound -- a tedious process at best. Only then, after all that is done, can the actual work of animation begin.

This makes me wonder if shows involving the use of pre-animation dialogue is really as common in the West as it seems...
Plus, in addition to post-animation dialogue being cheaper, quicker, and even simpler, perhaps it's also more environmentally friendly in regards of saving paper?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Overall, I don't mind that anime is done in the order that it is. After all, dubbing into other languages works in large part due to the fact that most lip flaps are simple open and close animations that don't appear to form distinct words on screen. From the commentaries I've listened to, it does present an added challenge to adapting the script when a character's mouth makes a distinct movement since now the word choice also has to incorporate something that fits.

Yeah, I think the basic open and closed lip flaps are a really big plus for this and as time has gone on dub actors and actresses have gotten really good at working within them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
#861208 wrote:

The show is one of the most brilliant things ever and it deserves a high quality release, dub, sequel, etc., but barely anyone watches it.

Is there a reason you have not named the show you are talking about. It seems you have went out of your way to not name it.

Because it's based on an otome game, and people would just think it was ridiculous for someone to think an otome game based anime is that good, and disregard the rest of what I was saying.

(it's Kamigami no Asobi, by the way. Not at all a typical otome game anime - barely a harem at all, actually, and with amazing voice acting. Please watch it.)
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
This makes me wonder if shows involving the use of pre-animation dialogue is really as common in the USA as it seems...

The day it becomes less common will be when dubbing in the USA levels up since the principal reason to do it nowadays is not to get more artistic freedom to the animators (since most animation is anyway done in Asia) but due to the lack of english voice actors that can lip sync.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
The day it becomes less common will be when dubbing in the USA levels up since the principal reason to do it nowadays is not to get more artistic freedom to the animators (since most animation is anyway done in Asia) but due to the lack of english voice actors that can lip sync.

Considering that your average (maybe SLIGHTLY above average) amateur AMV editor can do a passable job of editing existing footage to match dialogue, I think the professional media companies can easily make minor modifications to align existing footage to dialog in MOST animation. I mean if you're talking about a $100million major motion picture release, ok, but for garden variety TV animation, I don't think you need to worry about people noting the variance between "Ah" and "Bu"
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:07 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Considering that your average (maybe SLIGHTLY above average) amateur AMV editor can do a passable job of editing existing footage to match dialogue, I think the professional media companies can easily make minor modifications to align existing footage to dialog in MOST animation. I mean if you're talking about a $100million major motion picture release, ok, but for garden variety TV animation, I don't think you need to worry about people noting the variance between "Ah" and "Bu"

I am definetively not talking about high budget (reads as "millions of dollars") CGI animations. Back to our garden variety USA animation, twenty years ago ocean group (the ones that dubbed to english Ranma 1/2) already had the technology to adjust dialogue to fit the screen, but that is imo highly unprofessional, you brain is bound to detect something funny when you hear a word is compressed or enlarged even half a second.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I think that it would be easier for animators to make most of the animation first, allow voice actors to dub along with the animation, and then make adjustments as needed.

Seems like it would be simpler that way, but I am not an animator so I don't know.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
ptj_tsubasa wrote:
Also… it's the animation staff that ultimately creates the show. Would we really want them to give away their creative freedom and the flexibility of the script and directing just so that the voice actors could finish their work early?

Depends on the show. Symphogear, for instance, is pretty obviously taking ideas from the VA cast as well. If I remember right, it was Ishikawa's (Genjuro's VA) idea for the Hero Story cover and training montages. Plus there's Tsubasa who's basically Nana's self-insert (which is kind of amusing.) There was also the moment in Season 2 where the staff was arguing over the idea of spoiler[Mikugear.]

I could be wrong as its been years since I looked heavy into it though.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:52 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:

Because it's based on an otome game, and people would just think it was ridiculous for someone to think an otome game based anime is that good, and disregard the rest of what I was saying.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, shouldn't let the idea of people dismissing your praising of the series in question cause you to second guess yourself.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:19 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
Sentai's DVD release of the series is even harder to watch because the subtitles are awful and you can't turn it off. ... it didn't get a dub, but having no dub is better than having a Sentai dub.

It's not like every dub they produce is questionable.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'll never understand just how the Japanese voice process can so accurately match good performances with already-done animation, but they've been doing it for decades, and they've gotten really really good at it.

MarshalBanana wrote:
Whenever you see making ofs, the Voice Actors are always looking at what seems to be a rough storyboards
https://youtu.be/P17l7VlWBE8?t=30m21s

Basically. From my understanding based on making of videos and discussions during events, voice recordings are generally done using the storyboard art. Depending on the production timing, the art can be fairly detailed, or it can be as rough as just having circles. In dire situations, there may not be any video to work off of at all. The dialogue is already pre-timed and when it's time for a character to speak, a box with the character's name appears on screen. That's when the actor has to say their lines, and they match it to the timing of the when the box appears and disappears.

The actors generally get the script and rehearsal video ahead of time so they can sort of do a dry run on their own. Depending on the actor, they might not check the video though. The video has time codes and maybe cut numbers overlayed on it. I think making the rehearsal videos is a huge chore in itself!

Also, I think it was mentioned before that the studio ufotable records the dialogue first and then matches the animation to it, similar to what is done in the West.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
This makes me wonder if shows involving the use of pre-animation dialogue is really as common in the West as it seems...
Plus, in addition to post-animation dialogue being cheaper, quicker, and even simpler, perhaps it's also more environmentally friendly in regards of saving paper?

I could be wrong on this, but I vaguely remember a discussion somewhere saying that Western audiences are a bit more nit picky when it comes to matching mouth flaps and that likely is the reason for Western animation doing things the way they do.

You have to also keep in mind just how much animation is being produced in Japan. With all the time and production restraints, "afureko" is really the only possible way for them to churn out the number of works they do.

It seems the animation market in Korea is pretty big too and they produce a lot of their own shows. I wonder if they also follow the Japanese model of animation, especially considering they provide a lot of animation for Japanese shows.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'll never understand just how the Japanese voice process can so accurately match good performances with already-done animation, but they've been doing it for decades, and they've gotten really really good at it. Matching the timing of each line reading with animation was always sort of a rough science -- often things didn't match well at all, but fans didn't really seem to mind.(American dubs always tried much harder at this.)

It would be nice if there was a bit more of a frequency that English-speaking anime fans were as critical of the Japanese voices as the English-dubbed voices.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5