• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Is Anime Dialogue Recorded After Animation Is Done?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:16 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
I actually imagine a LOT of it has to do with trying to keep up with reading subtitles. You simply can't watch the mouths closely if you're tracking subs.

Just because you can't, doesn't mean no-one can. Sure I can't watch mouth movements as closely as if subtitles weren't in the picture, but it's not the only vague awareness you seem to be suggesting.
Zalis116 wrote:
I always find it funny when the purists claim that Japanese audio tracks are superior because the animation was "made for" Japanese voicing. Clearly they're not aware that the Japanese VAs undergo essentially the same "talking over pre-existing animation" process that dub VAs do.

True, but it's still animated with a given line in Japanese with a specific length of time in mind; an English line to mean the same thing might need to be worded strangely or spoken unnaturally fast or slow to fit. Actually less of a problem than most think, if there's a competent script writer and the production isn't in much of a rush.
belvadeer wrote:
Sub purists generally don't have much working intelligence beyond seeing Japan as a magical holy land of perfection. I could tell you stories of the amusing weeb ignorance I've seen on GameFAQs and YouTube. Many really don't understand the voice acting process whatsoever, but delude themselves into thinking they do just because they watch anime and play JRPGs in the so-called "superior language".

You might want to scale back the nastiness of the comments you make about people who prefer subtitles; there are some equally nasty things one might say about those who prefer dubs, if one weren't interested in keeping things peaceful.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:50 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
You might want to scale back the nastiness of the comments you make about people who prefer subtitles; there are some equally nasty things one might say about those who prefer dubs, if one weren't interested in keeping things peaceful.

Not really. It's perfectly fine if someone prefers subs and states that's their preference in a calm and civilized way; I don't have a problem with them. It's not fine when they preach their ignorance about the language or claim it's superior to all languages, and then think everything, including U.S. and European animation and games, should be in Japanese too (I'm referring to purists like these). I haven't seen many folks who love dubs and act like jerks about it, saying English is superior to everything or something. They're far more sensible, as far as I've witnessed.

EDIT: In the future, I'm keeping my opinions to myself. I'm tired of being the only one called out on my thoughts on extreme sub purists.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:00 am Reply with quote
@belvadeer

The conversation thus far has been quite civilized and there's not much of a sub vs. dub debate going on, yet you've gone ahead and insulted the intelligence of "purists." Pretty sure that's the issue Tomoyo has with your comments.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:13 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Not really. It's perfectly fine if someone prefers subs and states that's their preference in a calm and civilized way; I don't have a problem with them. It's not fine when they preach their ignorance about the language or claim it's superior to all languages, and then think everything, including U.S. and European animation and games, should be in Japanese too (I'm referring to purists like these).

Then it might be an idea to make it clearer that you don't think all sub watchers are that kind of purist, and that you've got nothing against people watching stuff subtitled.
belvadeer wrote:
I haven't seen many folks who love dubs and act like jerks about it, saying English is superior to everything or something. They're far more sensible, as far as I've witnessed.

I have. Not many who are quite that bad about it, but still plenty who make horribly misinformed comments, gross generalisations, and dismiss other people's preferences and reasons for them. Often they make statements about sub watchers that are not unlike your comments about "purists", and seem to believe that all sub watchers are that kind of purist. From what I've witnessed, both sides are about as bad as each other all up.

Crosswithyou is essentially right; up until now the conversation had been pretty civilised with little sub vs dub debate, until you made a very inflammatory comment about sub watchers. If a comment like that had been leveled at dub fans first, I'd have been similarly unimpressed, even if I am on that "side" of the debate.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:44 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:
I actually imagine a LOT of it has to do with trying to keep up with reading subtitles. You simply can't watch the mouths closely if you're tracking subs.

Just because you can't, doesn't mean no-one can. Sure I can't watch mouth movements as closely as if subtitles weren't in the picture, but it's not the only vague awareness you seem to be suggesting.

Just so we're clear, I'm not saying this to mock or malign sub fans. I personally prefer to watch anime subbed for a variety of reasons. That said, it's simple science, your focus is either in one place or it is in another. I'm not saying you can't follow the action on screen at ALL and are near to reading a book. But I AM saying that your attention is at best split between characters and lines of text. In that sense, if some of the dialog is milliseconds off on timing you're less likely to either notice OR take issue with it then if your entire focus is on the character talking. I think, generally speaking that the animation staff/seiyuu do a great job of lining those two things up and if nothing else, I think computers have helped TREMENDOUSLY in this regard. I'm just saying people watching an English dub are more likely to notice flaws in the timing.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
ptj_tsubasa wrote:
Sure, voice actors can be creative people too, and at times we can get funny improvised lines like the impromptu opera singing in Monsters, Inc. But giving voice actors TOO much creative freedom sounds like a potential disaster.

The director can always tell an actor to knock off the ad libbing in the booth if it isn't working. Some ad libbing is brilliant, of course, like Robin Williams in Aladdin. They certainly didn't start by a committee deciding that they would animate William F. Buckley Jr.

Anime at least used to have specific ad lib slots present (the example here is KO Century Beast Warriors). I have a handful of real and reproduction scripts, but I must confess I've never searched through them to see if this is still the case and I don't know whether it is or was more common in OVAs and movies than TV anime.

Lord Geo wrote:
As others have indicated, not all anime has voice overs done with "finished" animation. An "AfuReco" version of an episode, as it's called for the purposes of voice recording, can have all degrees on completion when it comes to animation, depending on the specific scene. A pivotal moment might be fully animated, for example, while a simple conversation scene might just be key frames or even just pencil tests, and other scenes might just be the storyboards because they are likely going to be properly animated last.

In Japan these things are called Leica Reels for some reason.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:53 pm Reply with quote
ptj_tsubasa wrote:
Also… it's the animation staff that ultimately creates the show. Would we really want them to give away their creative freedom and the flexibility of the script and directing just so that the voice actors could finish their work early?

Sure, voice actors can be creative people too, and at times we can get funny improvised lines like the impromptu opera singing in Monsters, Inc. But giving voice actors TOO much creative freedom sounds like a potential disaster.

You can also look at this the other way. Why do fans of Western cartoons place so much emphasis on animating all the syllables one at a time, to the point where it's a common joke that anime "has bad lip sync"? For me something like Family Guy looks actually a bit creepy.

Because it's much easier to improvise something, or otherwise deviate from the story, if you're a voice actor than an animator. Animation is a collaborative effort at every step of the way--unless you're a key animator or the animation director, you have to follow along with what your colleagues are doing.

The other thing is that western animation, as mentioned earlier, prioritizes smoothness of animation whereas anime prioritizes detail. Lip-synching is a lot more important in western animation because it has a lot more frames that go into mouth movements and thus more chances for something to go wrong if it isn't tightly monitored and organized.

Greed1914 wrote:
Overall, I don't mind that anime is done in the order that it is. After all, dubbing into other languages works in large part due to the fact that most lip flaps are simple open and close animations that don't appear to form distinct words on screen. From the commentaries I've listened to, it does present an added challenge to adapting the script when a character's mouth makes a distinct movement since now the word choice also has to incorporate something that fits.

I can say it's been a huge problem with dubbing for video games with 3-D graphics. They're better at it now than it used to be, but be prepared for a laugh if you ever watch any cutscenes of Sonic Adventure.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
This makes me wonder if shows involving the use of pre-animation dialogue is really as common in the West as it seems...

It is the norm rather than the exception because it's what voice actors are used to and are trained to do. Obviously, there are plenty of English-language voice actors who are used to post-animation acting, but there aren't many who do both because it requires different lines of thinking and different training.

Even bottom-budget stuff like the early episodes of South Park, still gets a much higher budget than your average anime. The viewership is much higher.

Gasero wrote:
I think that it would be easier for animators to make most of the animation first, allow voice actors to dub along with the animation, and then make adjustments as needed.

Seems like it would be simpler that way, but I am not an animator so I don't know.

With a timing sheet, it's not. An animator simply has to follow it.

Kadmos1 wrote:

It would be nice if there was a bit more of a frequency that English-speaking anime fans were as critical of the Japanese voices as the English-dubbed voices.

When you don't know a language too well, it's difficult to make good judgment on stuff in that language. I know I am way more critical of translations and acting in languages I know than language I don't.

dragonrider_cody wrote:
I always find it a bit amusing when I see someone complain about lip flaps in an English dub, but they completely ignore when the Japanese track has the same issue. I've seen a number of Funimation and Sentai dubs where the audio was synced better to the animation than the Japanese version.

Nah, I used to ask that to anime fans but I got a dismissive "You don't know the Japanese language, so you wouldn't understand" sort of responses. (It varied whether they actually knew a decent amount of Japanese or not.)

HeeroTX wrote:
But you get that in anime all the time, probably western animation (like Adventure Time or Rick and Morty) too, but I don't watch a lot of US animation anymore. South Park does this, which is one reason they can turn episodes around REALLY fast.

Nearly all western animated TV shows will have at least an "ah" mouth and an "ooh" mouth. South Park is included in that, but they go from one open mouth to another. In the case of South Park, that means lip flaps are sometimes done at an even lower framerate than anime, but they have an ah, ooh, uh, ee, oh, and an l-tongue. That being said, the framerate of lip flaps in South Park is highly variable and depends on the speed of delivery. Watch Pocket speak in "Pip 2000," for instance, and you'll see the framerate actually EXCEEDS most western animation because he speaks so fast. Then watch Cartman whine after Kyle slaps him in "Fat Butt & Pancake Head," where a single frame (the big scream mouth) is used for its entire duration.

Adventure Time is a bit lower than stuff like Chip 'n' Dale: Rescue Rangers or The Simpsons, but it has in-between frames for mouth movements and has at least a few mouth shapes. Rick & Morty's lip flaps are animated traditionally for western TV animation.

mangamuscle wrote:
2) Even when english voice acting was done before the animation, when it is dubbed to other languages any mouth movements are lost since i.e. "Good morning" and "Buenos dias" require different movements of the mouth.

Some of the stuff from Disney is incredible with matching lip-flaps. I saw the Mexican dub of Recess: School's Out in which Mikey sings "My Green Tambourine" (by The Lemon Pipers), and it matches up much better than I expected.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
That said, it's simple science, your focus is either in one place or it is in another. I'm not saying you can't follow the action on screen at ALL and are near to reading a book. But I AM saying that your attention is at best split between characters and lines of text. In that sense, if some of the dialog is milliseconds off on timing you're less likely to either notice OR take issue with it then if your entire focus is on the character talking.

I dunno... even with splitting my focus between the subtitles and everything else on the screen, I can see well enough how well-timed the mouth movements are to the voice work. In the "digital production" age, it's by and large pretty good, but is still a cycle of maybe 3 or 4 frames that look more-or-less right, rather than the focus Western animation has on making it look exactly like the syllable being voiced. There are exceptions, of course, but it tends to be in important shots that are in close, or scenes where lip-reading is expected to happen.
Back in the olden days when they painted on sheets of plastic and shot it on film, it was considerably more haphazard. Again, sometimes the effort was made, but largely the attitude was "you can hear their voice, you can see their mouth moving, good enough".
I think that sub watchers not caring about lip-syncing issues is less not noticing and more accepting that it's just traditionally not a priority in Japanese animation, whereas people who prefer dubs are more used to thinking in terms of other animation voiced in English; ie American cartoons where there's traditionally been more focus on mouth movement closely matching sound.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I watch mostly subtitled anime and I can't say I've ever noticed a disparity between lip flaps and speech. I'm not suggesting it isn't there, just that it has never been so egregious that it attracted my attention. Of course, I don't spend time looking for things to complain about. Your mileage may vary.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I watch mostly subtitled anime and I can't say I've ever noticed a disparity between lip flaps and speech. I'm not suggesting it isn't there, just that it has never been so egregious that it attracted my attention. Of course, I don't spend time looking for things to complain about. Your mileage may vary.

It's as Sakagami Tomoyo pointed out: Someone like me, who grew up on lots of western animation, finds it much more jarring than someone who didn't. I grew very accustomed to lip movements so detailed that you can lip-read the characters that when even the Japanese audio didn't make much of an attempt to do so, it took me months to not draw attention to itself for me.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Even bottom-budget stuff like the early episodes of South Park, still gets a much higher budget than your average anime. The viewership is much higher.

Remember that a series budget does not mean animation budget, in the west afaik writers get a big chunk of the the pie and from what I read after the recent union negotiations they will even more.

So I bet even today they are paying peanuts for south park animation and I doubt other studios pay asian animation studios above average.

Quote:
Some of the stuff from Disney is incredible with matching lip-flaps. I saw the Mexican dub of Recess: School's Out in which Mikey sings "My Green Tambourine" (by The Lemon Pipers), and it matches up much better than I expected.

There was a time here in Mexico when if there was a song in a cartoon, it was not dubbed (i.e. The Chipmunks) because the song needs to be translated AND adapted and then the voice actor needs to sing (something some old voice actors were not good at because their careers were made on acting, not singing). Then came Disney's The Little Mermaid and it became the new normal to dub the songs, specially for any Disney cartoon and Recess: School's Out is one of them. It goes without saying that disney is top of the line for dubbing quality, a voice actor that works dubbing a disney movie or other properties is probably paid a lot more than the peanuts many other voice actors receive. Heck, over here the simpsons voice actors demanded a raise in their salary when their US counterparts got one and they were promptly fired.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:15 am Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon

I've likely seen a fair amount of the same Western animation. I suspect the difference is that I don't think it ever occurred to me to pay attention to mouth movements. You may be looking at the shows from a technical basis.

I think the only time I noticed lip movements in anime is in the odd opening or closing where the character on screen is actually singing the opening or closing song. Of course, they often provide more detailed animation for the openings and closings.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

Remember that a series budget does not mean animation budget, in the west afaik writers get a big chunk of the the pie and from what I read after the recent union negotiations they will even more.

So I bet even today they are paying peanuts for south park animation and I doubt other studios pay asian animation studios above average.

It is still more expensive to do any sort of lip flap animation beyond "alternate between open frame and closed frame at regular intervals" though.

Alan45 wrote:
@leafy sea dragon

I've likely seen a fair amount of the same Western animation. I suspect the difference is that I don't think it ever occurred to me to pay attention to mouth movements. You may be looking at the shows from a technical basis.

I think the only time I noticed lip movements in anime is in the odd opening or closing where the character on screen is actually singing the opening or closing song. Of course, they often provide more detailed animation for the openings and closings.

You might be right, considering when I read your second paragraph, it got me thinking about why they don't just rotoscope if they need to have characters dancing and singing at the same time, though I'm guessing that's an even more expensive process than normal.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
I dunno... even with splitting my focus between the subtitles and everything else on the screen, I can see well enough how well-timed the mouth movements are to the voice work.

If this is so, you're really in VERY small company. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many issues with texting-&-driving.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:02 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
You might be right, considering when I read your second paragraph, it got me thinking about why they don't just rotoscope if they need to have characters dancing and singing at the same time, though I'm guessing that's an even more expensive process than normal.

Rotoscoping is actually cheaper. Tracing over an existing shape is faster and less skilled work than drawing a series of shapes with movement that looks right. The trouble is that rotoscoping just doesn't look very good, and for the creative touchup work that'd need to be done to make it look good, you might as well have just drawn it from scratch in the first place. Increase in cost for having someone animate rather than rotoscope is offset by not needing to pay the model(s).

HeeroTX wrote:
If this is so, you're really in VERY small company. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many issues with texting-&-driving.

There is a tremendous difference between texting while driving and reading subtitles while watching animation. To begin with, reading and watching are both passive activities, whereas driving is an active activity that requires constant attention, and texting is varying degrees of active, depending on whether you're sending or reading and how much you need to manipulate your phone's UI to look at a text.
There's also the fact that with watching subtitled video, the "two things" you're splitting attention between are both on the same screen, and you're basically just slightly shifting your attention on the one thing.
Driving, though, there's a great distance in focal length between the phone in front of your face and what you're supposed to be paying attention to ahead of you. Not to mention that it's already necessary to be paying attention to a number of things, all of which you need to be able to react to in a split second; adding something from a completely different context such as the phone is just too much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5