• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: KanColle: Kantai Collection BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:26 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
But know what? Here's the thing that you can never beat - it's not the WW2 in the anime even with that allusions, and never was.

Sorry, no. Even if it's not exactly replacing the events of WW2, it's still heavily patterned on WW2 events up to the Battle of Midway. This point is simply not disputable, especially when exact historical quotes are being reused.

Quote:
First fact: Even with WW2 themes, the world where shipgirls lives is not the same as was in the times of it, but it's close to current era - it mentioned in voice lines of some of them (like Yuubari and late-night anime - which of course wasn't even existed in the times of WW2), and even in CG (I-168 weird smartphone).

Well, yes, that's quite obvious. Doesn't stop it from being heavily patterned on WW2 events, though.

Quote:
Second fact: Like in the anime, all of shipgirls know their past to the times they're sunk. And with this we get to the same concept - shipgirls live in the world where all of WW2 Pacific battles already happened, and all of it happened according to history! Because if it comes another way, it creates a paradox - you can't know about the events which isn't happened before, right?

What you're claiming here isn't actually in the TV series, though. Episode 11 indicates that Akagi has been having dreams that she doesn't understand, and Nagato seems to agree that something like fate or destiny is pulling them along, but that's the closest the series ever gets to the girls "knowing their past to the times they're sunk." None of the other girls demonstrate any sign of that. If you have proof to the contrary in the anime series then point to specific scenes with specific time codes.

Quote:
Third fact: It will be about Abyssal Fleet, the enemies. Yes, initially it was depicted as some kind of counterpart to the Allied Fleet (except there never was the mention, of course) with naming of guns and aircraft - but here it should be noted that the creators of the game didn't initially planned to support it for too long, waiting for shut down somewhere in half of the year. After the extreme popularity of KanColle things changed - and also that changes the way that the conflict between the players and enemies depicted. But when it was happened? No, it wasn't after the anime, when the game introduced first Allied shipgirls - it was before it even aired, in Fall of 2014, when they introduced the first Abyssal counterpart of the shipgirl, based on the only IJN casualty of the same battle. Yes, that's right - the Abyssal Fleet isn't the Allied Fleet even in concept from this long time.

While interesting, all of this is irrelevant because it's not in the anime series version and that's what is being talked about here. If this was meant to be a complement to the game rather than an adaptation then you might have a better argument, but I've never heard the anime series being described that way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching the first few episodes of this show and dropping it because how schizo this got in balancing the story-heavy stuff and the cute slice-of-life stuff. This made it strange how it fumbled on that considering it's a similar template Strike Witches or even Arpeggio did but with more success.

On a side note, I have a hunch the creators at DMM were aware of the KanColle anime's failings and actually applied their solutions towards Touken Ranbu, and that's why there's 2 different Touken Ranbu shows of different focuses.

If that ends up being a bigger success, the supposed upcoming "KanColle S2" anime really needs to reevaluate what it wants to do. On that note, when the heck is S2 coming out? The announcement was like 2 years ago.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I mean, despite the Kancolle anime not coming with any sort of game code it still outsold Hanamaru. Granblue (which does come with all sorts of game codes) kicked its butt though. I always thought it bizarre that Kancolle never tried to milk its game fanbase with codes. That's usually what drives people to buy these mobage adaptations, not the anime itself.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:58 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Sorry, no. Even if it's not exactly replacing the events of WW2, it's still heavily patterned on WW2 events up to the Battle of Midway. This point is simply not disputable, especially when exact historical quotes are being reused.

Good rephrasing. And now read again that part.

Quote:
but for the real truth you should check again not the final battle, but the episode 11 (yes, right before it) scene, when Akagi remember her past as the ship (and afraid of the fate coincidence, even with the exclusion of some shipgirls from the other fleet), when she's (as a ship) scuttled by destroyer torpedoes (you can even see the one who scuttled her by the real historic facts, Maikaze). What does it means? That's right - if it's basically our world, the real Battle of Midway already happened, and Akagi remember how it was been!

It's the anime scene. Not the game, but the scene appeared in the TV series, right before the "Battle of Midway". And you deliberately miss this part to confirm your opinion.

Quote:
None of the other girls demonstrate any sign of that. If you have proof to the contrary in the anime series then point to specific scenes with specific time codes.

And again we comes to the same episode 11. I will use the official Crunchyroll subs, so it can be easily to prove.

1)The start of episode 11, from 00:00 - the depiction of the real Battle of Midway in Akagi's nightmare, when we got to see the ones who's really participated in it (as shipgirls): Akagi, Kaga, Soryuu, Hiryuu, Mogami, Mikuma, Haruna and Kirishima. On the 00:51 Akagi, who's bombed by the enemy aircraft, says about scuttling her. After it we see Maikaze (as shipgirl), who executes the scuttling, and real damaged and burning Akagi - as the ship. After Akagi wake up (01:15), she's says about the dream that appeared every night after operation MI was decided. Yes, she's have the traumatic experience about the real Midway.
2) And to prove that, there goes the scene when Akagi asked to specifically exclude from the operation the ones who gives her the same traumatic feeling about the real Midway - like Maikaze and other destroyers, who's name appeared on the organization list (04;00, except Crunchyroll didn't had the full list of names translated). For more - Akagi said (07:41) that something inside tells that they going to repeat something that happened once before (07:50). You know what that means again? Right - the anime MI operation isn't the real Battle of Midway - it is the repeat of that!
3) For the next part of the same scene, the Akagi and Nagato begin to reflect on their actions about the operation, which clearly leads to the one thought - they don't understand, but they feel what happened to them earlier on the WW2, in the past when they was the ships, on an unconscious level. (Of course, the plot comes into conflict with the canon - but this is on the conscience of the writer).

How can this all be not understandable after all this undisputed things that all what happened in the final episode isn't real Battle of Midway that happened in the WW2 (and all of the events happened on the series isn't WW2 at all even with its references), but the other Battle of Midway - I clearly don't know.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:11 am Reply with quote
@WANNFH

You are splitting hairs. It doesn't matter if it is a recreation of the original battle of Midway or a fake version set in an alternate world or future. Anyone who is sufficiently familiar with the real history of WWII in the Pacific is likely to have an emotional reaction to the scene. If it doesn't bother you that is fine but you need to accept that it bothers others.

Personally I never tried to watch the show. When they first put out the synopsis of the show I recognized the names of several of the ships from prior reading. The rest were easy to identify. All that I checked on died violently at some point in the war. Fubuki has been resident on Iron Bottom Sound for over seventy years. The idea of making cute girls of sunken, rusted, coral incrusted hulks was a bit more than I was prepared to deal with.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:35 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
You are splitting hairs. It doesn't matter if it is a recreation of the original battle of Midway or a fake version set in an alternate world or future. Anyone who is sufficiently familiar with the real history of WWII in the Pacific is likely to have an emotional reaction to the scene. If it doesn't bother you that is fine but you need to accept that it bothers others..
Yes, I can be splitting hairs with that - but I also don't like it when someone starts to blame seriously for allegedly propaganda historical revisionism attempting the things that never claims being historical. I'm not trying to justify Imperial Japan and its war crimes in the WWII (being a man whose ancestors at that time fought on the front line against fascist Germany and had hard times), but there is still a real limit between real revisionism and the fiction, that taking elements from history. Because if all the fictional works based on the WWII was truthful to history, then from the point of view for example the Americans, they won the greater part of the war - and this, incidentally, is an absolute lie.

In the real world, there are far more worst examples, when the history of the WW2 is changed much more clearly in media, that happened specifically in the Eastern Europe and America (for example, the recent NATO movie about the "forest brothers" - which are glorified as heroes, although in fact they committed numerous crimes against the civilians, and many of them fought on the side of fascist Germany) - and this is ignored, not to say encouraged.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:27 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
And you deliberately miss this part to confirm your opinion.

No, I didn't deliberately skip anything. That scene only reaffirmed that the series is heavily patterning itself on the actual events of WW2 and taking a "what if" spin on them. Absolutely nothing you say later in your post refutes that.

And none of the details you point to show any indication that anyone besides Akagi (and maybe Nagato) is remembering any of it. Honestly, I think you're reading my insistence that no one else remembers those details as "no one else was involved."

Quote:
Right - the anime MI operation isn't the real Battle of Midway - it is the repeat of that!

Yes, that's always been obvious, and I've never disputed that it's a repeat rather than an outright replacement. But repeat vs. replacement actually doesn't make a single bit of difference in the cautions and criticisms being levied, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
@WANNFH

This thread is not about any other depiction of WWII either fiction or non fiction. Kindly leave them out of the discussion. Nor is this an appropriate place to discuss "who won" or which individual has the closest ties to the war.

KanColle is quite clearly not a revisionist history of the war. If for no other reason, ship girls didn't exist then and don't exist now, nor will they ever. That said, with the exception of Pearl Harbor, the battle of Midway is probably the best know ship to ship battle of the Pacific war. The people writing the show could just as easily used some other place in the Pacific (it is a rather large ocean) or could have used a fictional local. The moment they decided to use Midway, they raised the "what if" flag and that is enough to make some in this country uncomfortable. You may be perfectly capable of drawing a clear line between what they did and the "real" war. That is fine. You do need to realize that it is not that clear for others.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
The fact that they did an alternate history with Midway with an obviously pro-Axis (hence, in the side of the Nazis) ending while being depicted as cute girls (Axis) vs monsters (Allies) makes it more entertaining for me thanks to it's political incorrectness. But discounting this entertainment I found it a very mediocre show (of course it's based on videogame, usually anime based on videogames tends to be mediocre/bad, with some exceptions like Clannad).

Although it's true that the Japanese are not fully aware that they were allied with the Nazi bad guys. Although the US was allied with Stalin (the US playing essentially the role of Stalin's logistical support in WW2 more than anything else), who was about as bad as the Nazis, and Americans are not very aware of that either. WW2 was essentially a victory for Stalin more than anybody else who got to occupy/transform into communist dictatorships dozens of countries after (including dictatorships like Mao's China, Pol Pot's Cambodia and North Korea). Overall, communist dictatorships established by Lenin and Stalin killed 150 million people, several times more than the Nazis, 20 times more civilians than Imperial Japan killed. So its not quite clear who holds the moral high ground: given that partly thanks to US help that allowed Stalin to impose communist dictatorships on over a billion people: with Axis victory these communist dictatorships wouldn't have existed.

So I guess the Japanese have the right to fantasize that their military won a battle against Stalin's allies even if their military also killed a few million civilians since the countries in the Allied block include Stalin's USSR which killed many more. The US military killed millions of civilians over history as well and Hollywood movies celebrate continuously the (often imagined) feats of the US military and in photo realistic alternate history narratives instead of this obviously fantastical allusion to a historical event.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
But repeat vs. replacement actually doesn't make a single bit of difference in the cautions and criticisms being levied, either.
Ehm... Seriously? All of criticism that you and others said before was about the final episode was the reenactment of the "what if" for Battle of Midway! But then you're all got the undeniable proof that the final battle wasn't the replacement, but the different battle with different forces (not the repeat), so it can be done with different outcome - you say that it doesn't matter and it doesn't make a single bit of difference? C'mon, that's just the сomplete ignoring of reality in an attempt to protect your false facts.

Alan45 wrote:
The moment they decided to use Midway, they raised the "what if" flag and that is enough to make some in this country uncomfortable. You may be perfectly capable of drawing a clear line between what they did and the "real" war. That is fine. You do need to realize that it is not that clear for others.
The thing is - they're used not only the Battle of Midway as reference, just for you know (because you said that you didn't watched the anime series), they're also referenced the Battle of Wake Island (episode 3) and the Battle of Coral Sea (episode 7) before it - heck, that was even said in the review. And no one, as I see in the replies - no one is offended with that!

But when it all boils down to the reference (it's the reference, not the actual battle) to the Battle for Midway - everyone is saying that this propaganda and attempt to revise history! Where's the logic?

And I say again - you should never try to mix the real history and fiction, which does not show a truth, and doesn't even think about it. If with the same activity people paid attention and criticized the real revisionism propaganda posing as truth, that pouring every day on the screens - it would be much better for the current generation, than to look for traces of it in fantasy fiction... like for this guy.

Jose Cruz wrote:
Although it's true that the Japanese are not fully aware that they were allied with the Nazi bad guys. Although the US was allied with Stalin (the US playing essentially the role of Stalin's logistical support in WW2 more than anything else), who was about as bad as the Nazis, and Americans are not very aware of that either. WW2 was essentially a victory for Stalin more than anybody else who got to occupy/transform into communist dictatorships dozens of countries after (including dictatorships like Mao's China, Pol Pot's Cambodia and North Korea). Overall, communist dictatorships established by Lenin and Stalin killed 150 million people, several times more than the Nazis, 20 times more civilians than Imperial Japan killed. So its not quite clear who holds the moral high ground: given that partly thanks to US help that allowed Stalin to impose communist dictatorships on over a billion people: with Axis victory these communist dictatorships wouldn't have existed.
Who doesn't even seems to know about Soviet-Japan Neutrality Pact - which is why Japan not at war with the USSR and not attacked it, when the fascist Germany invaded it. And of course, he doesn't know about USA and the future Allies support of Nazi Germany before WWII happened.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:54 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Ehm... Seriously? All of criticism that you and others said before was about the final episode was the reenactment of the "what if" for Battle of Midway! But then you're all got the undeniable proof that the final battle wasn't the replacement, but the different battle with different forces (not the repeat), so it can be done with different outcome - you say that it doesn't matter and it doesn't make a single bit of difference? C'mon, that's just the сomplete ignoring of reality in an attempt to protect your false facts.

What false facts? There's nothing false about how the battle shown in episode 11 is an almost precise step-by-step recreation of the Battle of Midway. The critical dive-bomb on the Japanese carriers happens. The kinds of damage the girls take mimic the historical accounts. If they changed some of the ships up going into this, it didn't end up mattering. Up to the point where spoiler[Fubuki intervened to save Akagi] there is no significant difference. It's an almost exact repeat of actual historical events, so whether it's happening as a "this is a substitute for the original events in an alternate world" or a "history is repeating itself" scenario doesn't matter. I fail to understand why you're arguing against this point.

And to make sure we're perfectly clear, ABSOLUTELY NO ONE is in the slightest arguing that the ultimate outcome isn't very different after the point I mentioned above. Because that's when the changes made behind the scenes start taking effect.

Quote:
The thing is - they're used not only the Battle of Midway as reference, just for you know (because you said that you didn't watched the anime series), they're also referenced the Battle of Wake Island (episode 3) and the Battle of Coral Sea (episode 7) before it - heck, that was even said in the review. And no one, as I see in the replies - no one is offended with that!

Right, because they played those battles pretty nearly straight as they happened in history. Neither was a case of a pivotal defeat being reimagined as a great victory, so why would there be any hubbub about them?

Quote:
And I say again - you should never try to mix the real history and fiction, which does not show a truth, and doesn't even think about it. If with the same activity people paid attention and criticized the real revisionism propaganda posing as truth, that pouring every day on the screens - it would be much better for the current generation, than to look for traces of it in fantasy fiction... like for this guy.

So in other words, you're claiming that this isn't worth being bothered about because there are bigger fish to fray? Too bad; this review and thread is for talking about this anime specifically, not the other problems in the world. There are plenty of other places to discuss that which are not here.

Quote:
And of course, he doesn't know about USA and the future Allies support of Nazi Germany before WWII happened.

What? In what way does the Young Plan constitute support for Nazi Germany? The Nazis weren't even in power at that point. I'm not at all clear who you're referring to about the Munich Agreement, but that didn't constitute "support of Nazi Germany" either - that was simple appeasement.

You're really stretching to make points at this point, and in me you're dealing with someone who essentially majored in History, so good luck getting away with that here.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:49 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And to make sure we're perfectly clear, ABSOLUTELY NO ONE is in the slightest arguing that the ultimate outcome isn't very different after the point I mentioned above. Because that's when the changes made behind the scenes start taking effect.
What changes? Seriously, you need to reread again all that I wrote before, because you're really no good with your try to give everything that happens for revised Battle of Midway the final episode battle... which is not. And all of the final episode battle not affect the real Battle of Midway - because the real is already done in the past according to the anime series. And this is undeniable truth. And if you think that this is not so - good luck in proving your rightness, because the facts are already presented to you on my case.

Quote:
Right, because they played those battles pretty nearly straight as they happened in history. Neither was a case of a pivotal defeat being reimagined as a great victory, so why would there be any hubbub about them?
Because they're also not the real battles according to the same facts, but the different battles that can be done with different outcomes, huh? Because of it you don't get offended with them - they fit your own opinions, and you're ignore it. C'mon, it's unipolar thinking.

Quote:
So in other words, you're claiming that this isn't worth being bothered about because there are bigger fish to fray? Too bad; this review and thread is for talking about this anime specifically, not the other problems in the world. There are plenty of other places to discuss that which are not here.
No. I'm claiming for stop trying to give out the fictional battle, which is not even trying to be something other than a fiction (and even not the same), as an attempt to propaganda revise of the real battle for Midway. If you are seriously trying to give KanСolle for a documentary - it's not work. Better try to look for traces of propaganda elsewhere.

Quote:
What? In what way does the Young Plan constitute support for Nazi Germany? The Nazis weren't even in power at that point. I'm not at all clear who you're referring to about the Munich Agreement, but that didn't constitute "support of Nazi Germany" either - that was simple appeasement.

You're really stretching to make points at this point, and in me you're dealing with someone who essentially majored in History, so good luck getting away with that here.
Oh, I see for what you're trying to appeal. But no, your education and majority isn't work with the facts. The one who raised the Germany economic, give the technological and warfare boost to the future Third Reich, and raised the NSDAP influence, was the same one who fought against them later as Allies, and Dawes Plan (and later Young Plan) was the part of all of it. Of course, it also doesn't change the facts that USA corporations give more than billion dollars of investments in German industry in 1933, when the Third Reich is already being. I advise you to read on this subject the one book - "Trading with the enemy" by Charles Higham. It can bring you to something really interesting.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:53 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Quote:
you should never try to mix the real history and fiction

Which is basically what we have been trying to tell you. I don't care how they disguise it, they could call it the thirteenth version, if they call it the Battle of Midway and have Japanese named ships win it, it raises a flag. They shouldn't have used Wake Island or the Coral Sea either. However, both of those were messier and not a clear cut loss for Japan. I realize that you can reconcile this to your satisfaction. However you need to accept that what they did bothers others and that their concerns are valid.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:05 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
And all of the final episode battle not affect the real Battle of Midway - because the real is already done in the past according to the anime series. And this is undeniable truth.

Who's saying that it does that? Honestly, I think you're grossly misinterpreting a lot of what I and others have been saying. Same with the response that was below this one.

Quote:
No. I'm claiming for stop trying to give out the fictional battle, which is not even trying to be something other than a fiction (and even not the same), as an attempt to propaganda revise of the real battle for Midway. If you are seriously trying to give KanСolle for a documentary - it's not work.

Again, your choice of words is shaky here. Never said it was propaganda (that's your interpretation) or that it wasn't a fiction; "what if" scenarios are inherently fiction, after all. It is absolutely, completely, and totally a "what if" scenario, though, because it takes the circumstances of the original battle and alters a few of them to produce a different outcome. By changing those certain circumstances the story replays the battle at a later time as a fictional variation. That it's fiction, that it's set at a later time, and that it's a variation doesn't in the slightest change the fact that it's patterned heavily on actual events from the historical Battle of Midway.

Quote:
The one who raised the Germany economic, give the technological and warfare boost to the future Third Reich, and raised the NSDAP influence, was the same one who fought against them later as Allies, and Dawes Plan (and later Young Plan) was the part of all of it. Of course, it also doesn't change the facts that USA corporations give more than billion dollars of investments in German industry in 1933, when the Third Reich is already being. I advise you to read on this subject the one book - "Trading with the enemy" by Charles Higham. It can bring you to something really interesting.

I find this to be stretching (at the very least) on placing blame, but you've actually got me interested here in checking this out more, as it's not a case that I've heard argued before. Thanks for the book recommendation!

This has nothing to do with the main arguments, though.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Which is basically what we have been trying to tell you. I don't care how they disguise it, they could call it the thirteenth version, if they call it the Battle of Midway

By the way, they didn't. It's just called Operation MI in the anime. And yeah, for anyone to try use that name to the same named Yamamoto's plan - there is no admiral Yamamoto.

Quote:
and have Japanese named ships win it
And with that point of view we assume that in Battle of Midway only Japanese ships was named (of course, that is wrong) and the Abyssal Fleet is clearly and undeniable is the ships of Allies depiction. And here we go to the biggest false of that logic - there is no real proofs in the anime that indicate the Abyssal Fleet is the Allied Fleet! In fact, all of trying to prove that shipgirls battle with not just the unknown enemy threat is the continuous issue of assumptioned thinking. So, maybe it's better not to try to give out the desired opinion as real facts, and think with a more cold mind?

Quote:
However you need to accept that what they did bothers others and that their concerns are valid.
But the thing is what bothers others is not what animators did - what really bothers them is their own false assumptions, competed with the complete ignoring (unconsciously or consciously) of the facts that series tell. From the very first post, I said that I don't justify real war crimes - but when it comes to such accusations to the work that is clearly the fiction, I can only appeal to the fact that people have at least a bit of common sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5