• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: KanColle: Kantai Collection BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
@WANNFH

We have both said our piece. I don't accept your position and you don't accept mine. Let's leave it at that.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
By the way, they didn't. It's just called Operation MI in the anime. And yeah, for anyone to try use that name to the same named Yamamoto's plan - there is no admiral Yamamoto.

So you're saying that it's a complete coincidence that the operation to take the stand-in for Midway Island is code-named the exact same thing that the operation to take the actual historical Midway Island was?

Riiiight.

Quote:
And with that point of view we assume that in Battle of Midway only Japanese ships was named (of course, that is wrong) and the Abyssal Fleet is clearly and undeniable is the ships of Allies depiction. And here we go to the biggest false of that logic - there is no real proofs in the anime that indicate the Abyssal Fleet is the Allied Fleet!

Oh, good God! They're defending the stand-in for Midway Island. They've broken the naval codes for the Fleet Girls, which the Americans actually did prior to Midway Island. (Key change in the anime: the Fleet Girls know about that, whereas the historical IJN didn't. That's the beginning of the "what if" side of the scenario.) One of them that was badly damaged at the Battle of Coral Island (the stand-in/repeat of the Battle of Coral Sea) comes back to play a key role, hence duplicating the role of the USS Yorktown - and that's significant, as it's the only case in the anime where a damaged-but-not-destroyed Abyssal Fleet ship pops up again in a later battle. Yes, the Abyssal Fleet ships are not named, but how are you not supposed to interpret them as playing the role of the U.S. Navy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:52 am Reply with quote
Just recently finished watching the series on Aniplus Asia while Sky Cable had a free preview. Noticed that the horizontal Japanese text in the artwork reads right to left, instead of left to right like it would in a more modern setting. The right to left thing throws me off on some Chinese text, too. I mean, in vertical CJK text I'm used to top to bottom, right to left reading order. Think I still have some Chinese composition paper in my room, somewhere. Guess with the advent of word processors, the left to right reading order for horizontal text was easier to implement.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Funimation is releasing the series in a standard Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack, with the case coming in a slipcover. Somewhat surprisingly, this is a lower-key release for them, as there is no Limited Edition version or audio commentaries. In fact, beyond clean opener and close the only Extras are a commercial collection and a collection of in-character warning notices from the original Japanese releases. The release doesn't subtitle the opening and closing song lyrics, either, and includes translated and English credits only as an attachment at the end of each episode.

The absence of OP/ED translations (so much for "we just don't have time to get lyric translations approved for simulcasts"!) makes me wonder if these Crunchyroll/Funimation collaborations are basically "CR streams on disc." On that note, can anyone confirm if this release contains the disc version, rather than the TV broadcast version? After all, CR has very rarely shown an interest in obtaining the disc version for their streams. And if they're not going to put in the effort to translate songs, securing the rights and materials for the disc versions could also fall into the "too much effort" category. Maybe TV vs. disc doesn't matter too much with a show like Kantai Collection, but it would definitely be a factor with upcoming releases like Testament of Sister New Devil.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:07 am Reply with quote
Zalis116, do you know what difference (if any) there were between the disk version and the broadcast version? I'd be happy to check if you can point me to some telltale examples other than the non-translated songs - although based on that, I'm starting to suspect that you're exactly right about the "CR on disc" thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5