• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Santaman! [2006-12-22]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChikaraFire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe the Pern books by Anne McCaffrey

seconded
also Lackey's works, some of which have been mentioned would be awsome

Tamora Pierce's Tortal or Magic circle series would adapt wonderfully to anime
and the complex melding of two waring, shape-shifting cultures seen in Halksong and the following books would be awsome, especially with the CG shapeshifting scenes Very Happy

personally I've found roughly just as many guys break down as girls in anime Confused
good rant though
VML

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I actually enjoyed the movie version to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Yes, I am a fan of the series too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CrazyCanuck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:32 pm Reply with quote
DriftRoot wrote:
Fun fantasy anime from a book: Xanth series by Peirs Anthony, it's just too perfect, though it might be difficult to pick which books/storylines to focus on because there's so much going on.

Ummm.... You do realize they are making this don't you?

EDIT: Sorry, my mistake. It's Piers Anthony's Apprentice Adept books that are being made into anime.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Which books would I want to see made into anime? Why, MINE, of course. Anime smile

I'd also like to see Stephen King's Misery adapted into an anime by SATOSHI KON. That would kick so much ass. My head would explode.

On the rant... Well, Richard J said what I was thinking. Thanks, Richard.
shadow_Hiei

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:23 pm Reply with quote
*reads rant*

From my experiences, that's actually pretty accurate. Maybe I just have bad tastes in friends and maybe my family (both immidiate and extended) are a bunch of emotional psychos or something, but I've NEVER gotten really close to a woman that I didn't see break down and cry at some point. EVER. Sure, most girls keep their emotions in check when they're at work, out in public, or just hanging out with their casual friends, but I can't think of a single one that I became more than just casual friends with that I never saw cry.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote
DriftRoot wrote:
Fun fantasy anime from a book: Xanth series by Peirs Anthony, it's just too perfect, though it might be difficult to pick which books/storylines to focus on because there's so much going on.

The tone and concept might be made to work, but the puns in the series are much too much language-dependant. Content would get lost or changed in the transition to Japanese, and lost or changed again in the retranslation into English.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:

I'd also like to see Stephen King's Misery adapted into an anime by SATOSHI KON. That would kick so much ass. My head would explode.

I can see his books turned into anime. Usually, books that have been turned into anime are classic literature.

Women may be emotional, but we don't want to be viewed as cry babies.
konohamaru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:40 pm Reply with quote
It was a long held childhood dream of mine to have tons of money just so that I could buy a major animation studio, purchase the rights to the Dune books and make them into a series. Cool
That being said, I'd love to see the Crestomanci books (Diana Wynne Jones) made into a series. The Dark Lord of Derkholm (also by Jones) would be hysterical in a film version. Howl's Moving Castle and Castle in the Air would make good anime films also. Wink
I think I'd rather see the Abhorsen books (Garth Nix) as live action. The Artemis Fowl books (Eoin Colfer) could probably go either way but they would have to be very well done as live action films.
My all-time ultimate fantasy production would be for Henson Associates to purchase the film rights to the Dragons Milk trilogy (Susan Fletcher) and make them into a trio of live action movies with the Creature Shop handling the non-human characters. Anime hyper
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I take it you don't dig Miyazaki's work, or think that he didn't do well enough? Sad

EDIT: Having read the differences between Howl's Moving Castle's film and original book now, I know what you mean...

konohamaru wrote:
Howl's Moving Castle and Castle in the Air would make good anime films also. Wink

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
JTtheBrick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote
konohamaru, you stuck on the road to Viridian City? Wink Castle in the Air would rock indeed Laughing
konohamaru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I love Miyazaki's work, I've been a fan of Studio Ghibli for many years BUT, I feel that Howl's Moving Castle was probably one of the worst book adaptations I've seen. Visually it was nice but it bore little resemblance to the book other than keeping some of the names and the fact that the castle moved. I was expecting a lot more, it was Miyazaki after all.
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Book into an Anime? Farehnheit 451. A little magic, set it in the future, ad some more drama, boom, success and depth.

As for the rant: Maybe people will realize the farther you move away from the U.S. the more different the culture becomes.
maus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, I would love to see the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan animated.
Or the Game of Thrones by George RR Martin. The first would be great as a standard fantasy action series, the second as a mature series. The books got incest, murder, war, intrigue, betrayal, infanticide and did I mention sex? Laughing
kizoku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Speaking about the rant, people have made the comment that at some point everyone will break down and cry. I think that's backwards. You cry when something is important but not vital; or at least it should be. The last thing you need when it really hits the fan is someone breaking down and depending on you. And if someone (ie. kids) is depending on you then you can't break down. I never, ever, saw my mother (now 82) break down. Tough isn't the right word for her, but tornado, lightning, illness; she just dealt with things. And this is what I admire in a woman.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see a trashy-yet-loads-of-fun "soap-opera" anime adaptation of Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews. As we've seen in shows like Koi Kaze, anime is a medium that isn't afraid to tackle controversial issues like incest head-on and sensitively. And Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z Brite would make for a relentlessly creepy horror or hentai (or both) anime. Cannibalism, necrophilia, rampant homosexuality, serial killers, little boys getting screwdrivers shoved up their bums and their nipples bitten off -- you name it, it's in that book.

Also, here's an awesome picture of a cosplaying kitten:
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7