• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Partners With NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan to Co-Develop Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:

Wait... do you think that suddenly ALL anime will be "Americanized"? Did we read the same article? Crunchyroll is partnering with 1 (one) company. That company doesn't own the entire anime market. Typically Japanese anime will still be made, the anime market is still mostly domestic and otaku are still their target audience. So what's the harm in having some more "Westernized" shows? Some shows that don't pander to otaku? What's so wrong with variety? I think this will be great overall - you'll still get your usual fanservice and weird stuff and other people will get stuff that has "international appeal". Idk about you but I'm not expecting more than one of those "Westernized" productions every season. So what's the harm? It's the best way to diversify the industry. Why is that so bad?

This. Also, do people really think that crunchyroll, a company that is ENTIRELY built on providing anime, is gonna suddenly destroy everything that makes anime unique because... reasons? And why do people automatically equate "international appeal" with "Americanized"?

I mean, pretty sure Attack on Titan, for example, did a whole hell of a lot better Internationally than the old Stan Lee partnership Heroman. And the current Stan Lee show The Reflection is, as I understand it, more focused on a rising group of JAPANESE fans of American style super heros. It's "Americanized", but NOT to appeal more to International audiences.

We've also had US/Japanese co-productions for ages and ages, anyone remember the Big O?

Just seems like people are really overreacting a bit here.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Personally I'd be over the moon if this deal meant we get more anime actually focused on plot and characters over jiggly boobs but that's just me.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind an original harem anime that is uncensored for a simulcast. That part likely won't happen since CR hardly ever streams uncensored simulcasts.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested to see what comes of this.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Reading the article and looking at the comments here i think many are making a wrong assumption.

This is not going the change most anime that is made. We still will have all the same manga and LN adaptions because most anime is made to promote them in Japan. Also anime originals will be the same because they are made with Japanese audience in mind. And pure fan-service shows will continue because Japan loves them. The impact of this partnership on the usual anime will be zero.

What this partnership probably means is that the quantity of anime made by season will increase because of this partnership.
Some adaptions that didn't have the chance to become anime will be made and some anime originals with western audience in mind will be made. Maybe more American Marvel/DC will have anime adaptations,
Like Chinese/Japanese animation partnership, this will have no impact on anime in general except in the quantity.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

I mean, pretty sure Attack on Titan, for example, did a whole hell of a lot better Internationally than the old Stan Lee partnership Heroman. And the current Stan Lee show The Reflection is, as I understand it, more focused on a rising group of JAPANESE fans of American style super heros. It's "Americanized", but NOT to appeal more to International audiences.

I know Heroman could never beat Attack on Titan in popularity but, it was also heavily crippled by a subsidiary of Disney. Arguably the world's most American anime never got a Blu-ray release in the states nor did it ever get a English dub outside of Asia. Both Stan Lee and Bones fought to change that but they did not win as you can see today. Heck I found Heroman by chance on Crunchyroll one day and I've loved it ever since but I don't I would have ever heard about it unless I had Crunchyroll. As long as the distributor doesn't screw them over, I'm sure the Reflection will do fine.

Back on topic, I really like the prospect of Crunchyroll branching out into developing anime. I hope they make something good.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
And why do people automatically equate "international appeal" with "Americanized"?

People who want anime to cater to overseas are usually American, and want stuff like Cowboy Bebop or Trigun.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
And why do people automatically equate "international appeal" with "Americanized"?

People who want anime to cater to overseas are usually American, and want stuff like Cowboy Bebop or Trigun.

That's an incredible generalization.

Also, while Cowboy Bebop and Trigun definitely draw some inspiration from stuff like Westerns, they are both very much Japanese productions with a unique style and spin to them.
BlueOla

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
I really wish Crunchyroll would focus more on getting a better (non Flash) website, more powerful servers so their site doesn't crash every weekend, and actually getting licenses now that Amazon is taking all of the popular series instead of making a con, and now, this.

Did it cross your mind that perhaps all of these things are handled by different teams of people? Crunchyroll isn't run by two people and a half, pretty sure they can manage more than one thing at once.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:
Did it cross your mind that perhaps all of these things are handled by different teams of people? Crunchyroll isn't run by two people and a half, pretty sure they can manage more than one thing at once.

I'm not talking about people, I'm talking about money. And Crunchyroll has a limited pool of money, money they can put into their service instead of something like this. The only benefit I see is being able to stream these shows (which they probably could have done anyway) but if they're starting to put money into anime production then they may have less to put into the quality of their service. Considering the amount of shows Funiroll has missed this season, and the previous as well, and the reason behind the initial partnership in the first place, this doesn't seem like a practical move. Especially since if its anything like Shelter, which Crunchyroll produced, all they'd be doing is funneling in money and leaving the creative choices to the creative staff.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

Oh no, not more shows like Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, that would be the worst! Rolling Eyes
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
BlueOla wrote:

I'm not talking about people, I'm talking about money. And Crunchyroll has a limited pool of money, money they can put into their service instead of something like this. The only benefit I see is being able to stream these shows (which they probably could have done anyway)

"Probably" is a bit questionable there. Amazon has way, way more money than crunchy could ever dream to have, even with the Funimation partnership. They cannot possibly hope to ever outbid Amazon on a license. So focusing on industry connections that will guarantee them shows and build up ties between them and Japan doesn't seem like a particularly bad idea to me.
Bingal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:02 pm Reply with quote
If this means more titles similar to cowboy bebop and GitS and less crappy fanservice dreck, then I'm all for it. Plenty of titles have international appeal and still manage to stick to the core essence of what makes anime, well, anime...

This feels like a bunch of weaboos complaining because they fear this partnership spells the end of high school anime or something.
BlueOla

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
FlowerAiko wrote:
BlueOla wrote:

I'm not talking about people, I'm talking about money. And Crunchyroll has a limited pool of money, money they can put into their service instead of something like this. The only benefit I see is being able to stream these shows (which they probably could have done anyway)

"Probably" is a bit questionable there. Amazon has way, way more money than crunchy could ever dream to have, even with the Funimation partnership. They cannot possibly hope to ever outbid Amazon on a license. So focusing on industry connections that will guarantee them shows and build up ties between them and Japan doesn't seem like a particularly bad idea to me.

^^^This.

I'm also quite sure that Crunchyroll wouldn't be spending money that they don't have. They're clearly doing the things they're doing because they can, because they have some sort of plan. I don't think they need our financial advice.

And yeah Amazon is really stirring things up, basically getting most of the most promising shows nowadays. Crunchyroll has to do SOMETHING to stay relevant and improving their service won't help them win this war. It's like with any console - it's not about the hardware, it's about the games. CR won't be able to support itself on their catalogue if they keep losing to Amazon and so far there is no reason why they would win with Amazon. It's a real issue. (Not to mention that I think Amazon is promoting piracy with their entire double paywall but that's a discussion for another thread.)
Bingal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Lord Oink wrote:

Oh no, not more shows like Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, that would be the worst! Rolling Eyes

They're gatekeeping. But what they conveniently ignore is the fact that it were the titles with international appeal that made us interested in anime and manga in the first place. Whether it's Dragonball, Full Metal Alchemist, Akira or Ninja Scroll, etc. And last time I checked, a lot of them are still well-received, so it also has nothing to do with the ''dumbing down of anime.''
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4