• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Partners With NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan to Co-Develop Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MofCP222

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
{Crunchyroll} has since invested in more than two dozen anime productions.

Anyone know what these productions are? I tried looking at ANN's encyclopedia entry for Crunchyroll but it only lists 4 series that the company was involved with.

Kiznaiver (TV) : Production
Magical Girl Raising Project (TV) : Production Cooperation
Ojisan to Marshmallow (TV) : Overseas Cooperation
Space Patrol Luluco (TV) : Production

I can't find any info on Crunchyroll's website either. Anyone know? I'd love to have a list of titles Crunchyroll directly helped.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
I really wish Crunchyroll would focus more on getting a better (non Flash) website, more powerful servers so their site doesn't crash every weekend, and actually getting licenses now that Amazon is taking all of the popular series instead of making a con, and now, this.

The best way to beat out Amazon is to have the rights to series from the start. This is one way to do that.

Simply outbidding (assuming they could) Amazon would be the road to ruin.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
LilacSkyAtDawn wrote:
The thing is, I'm interested in anime because it's anime, with all the weirdness and immaturity and fetish appeal that it incorporates. I don't want it to have more 'international appeal,' because 'international appeal' generally equates to 'appeals to Americans/Western Europeans,' which I'm not. For example, I never did like Avatar, Bakugan Battle Brawlers or Castlevania. Like there aren't enough US movies, TV shows and cartoons flooding the TV, the web and our stores as is. I don't want the Japanese artists' efforts to go into making even more stuff for the western market just because it pays better. But then again, I suppose it's better for the artists themselves, so that's just my selfishness talking.

That's all well and good, but there are also those of us who are interested in anime because it encompasses a lot of good animation that just so happens to be made in Japan, a place which has provided a playground for a lot of talented auteurs that doesn't exist to the same extent anywhere else. The way I see it, increased creative collaboration can only be a good thing. I love it when anime series reference Western movies and TV series, and when Western-made animation draws clear stylistic influences from anime storytelling. It's great when people like Masaaki Yuasa get to direct an episode of a mainstream American cartoon, and when two American directors hire some of Japan's best directors to create an anthology based on their blockbuster film franchise. Great creative works don't just draw from a single myopic source, but a wide range of experiences and perspectives. To me, the greatest strength of anime has always been its ability to draw on that vast array of genres and themes, which can only benefit from cross-cultural mixing.

And don't worry, there will still be more than enough moeblob harem light-novel garbage adaptations to go around for everyone.
Cosmic Luffy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Really Hope To See Them Make Some Marvel Animes Or A Marvel Anime Universe Done Right.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
To those who are claiming that this would mean anime will be Westernized:

Remember that one of the most watched non-sequels in CR last Spring was: Akashic Records of bastard magic instructor. Let that sink in.

MofCP222 wrote:
Quote:

Anyone know what these productions are? I tried looking at ANN's encyclopedia entry for Crunchyroll but it only lists 4 series that the company was involved with.

I can't find any info on Crunchyroll's website either. Anyone know? I'd love to have a list of titles Crunchyroll directly helped.

Apparently, someone is compiling the members of the Production Committee for 2017 animes.

tl;dr, apparently CR is involved in 6 animes this year: Idol Incidents, Kemono Friends, Masamune-kun's Revenge, Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club, Love Tyrant and Restaurant In Another World.

Last edited by Ermat_46 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
MofCP222 wrote:
Quote:

This Summer they are involved on Isekai Shokudou.
Idk if there are more but its one that i know
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:56 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Lord Oink wrote:
People who want anime to cater to overseas are usually American, and want stuff like Cowboy Bebop or Trigun.

Oh no, not more shows like Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, that would be the worst! Rolling Eyes

Well, it certainly wouldn't be the worst, but it also wouldn't be the best.

The "international appeal" thing is always a touchy subject for anime fans. There's some truth to the idea that keeping it "Japanese-appeal" keeps it unique, and that that's why international fans like anime in the first place. But a lot of what apparently appeals to Japan is a bit... contentious. (You can fill in your own examples here, because it seems the mods delete any direct mention of a lot of those things.)

On the other side of things, "international appeal" really means "American appeal" and what qualifies for that is a lot more narrow than we might like to believe--opera-style dramatic stories, preferably in space or involving sci-fi; with lots of action and combat, preferably with guns. Or, because stereotypes, classical Asian warriors: ninjas and samurai. (This is why Naruto is ubiquitous around here, but only nerds know about One Piece.) Maybe giant robots, but those seem to be out of fashion these days. Anything that strays from those genres is unlikely to be more than a temporary cult phenomenon, even within the anime community.

Whether we like it or not, Westerners have their idiosyncratic tastes just like Easterners, and the anime-fan subculture can only bend those tastes so far. Genuine crossover hits that don't seem to have been deliberately made to appeal to us are incredibly rare; about the only thing that comes to mind is Fullmetal Alchemist, which does have a lot of action but otherwise doesn't hit any of the standard Stuff Western People Like buttons. (I guess also Pokemon, but that was part of a larger video-game-based fad.)

Still, a number of things have managed to be "semi-hits" that are well-known among non-Japanese anime fans (just not the general population) without seeming like they were directed by an American--Madoka and Evangelion, various shows from Trigger/Gainax (not counting LWA and Panty&Stocking), Clannad and Your Lie In April and various other shows that would be derided as "chick flicks" if they weren't anime (Your Name is still beating FMA on myanimelist), etc. It's these types of shows that are probably most at risk from a restructuring of the target market for anime, and that could be a serious problem, because these are the "Y" in the "Come for the X, stay for the Y" system that keeps the anime community going. Most of us like the Western-style shows, for obvious reasons, but they're called gateway series for a reason; nobody wants to just stand in the gateway forever.

On the whole, though, I'm much more optimistic about this development than I am about Amazon, the megalomaniacal Wal-Mart of the internet, barging its way into the anime streaming market.
sputn1k

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:46 pm Reply with quote
MofCP222 wrote:
Quote:

Crunchyroll is actually fairly low profile when it comes to communicating which titles they are involved in. If you check credits of series that aired in the past 3 years, you'll probably find some 30 they were involved in.
MofCP222

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:00 pm Reply with quote
sputn1k wrote:
Crunchyroll is actually fairly low profile when it comes to communicating which titles they are involved in. If you check credits of series that aired in the past 3 years, you'll probably find some 30 they were involved in.

That's so weird. From a PR perspective you would think it would make sense to show people that your company is directly funding anime production outside of just licensing fees.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
LilacSkyAtDawn wrote:
The thing is, I'm interested in anime because it's anime, with all the weirdness and immaturity and fetish appeal that it incorporates. I don't want it to have more 'international appeal,' because 'international appeal' generally equates to 'appeals to Americans/Western Europeans,' which I'm not. For example, I never did like Avatar, Bakugan Battle Brawlers or Castlevania. Like there aren't enough US movies, TV shows and cartoons flooding the TV, the web and our stores as is. I don't want the Japanese artists' efforts to go into making even more stuff for the western market just because it pays better. But then again, I suppose it's better for the artists themselves, so that's just my selfishness talking.

With ya on this. The country that made 2D animation survive the 3D age should get to continue the tradition. All of a sudden the West ran out of ideas, and instead of innovating the mediums they dominate, they're gonna pack their ideas into a Medium they don't understand.

While the new Castlevania has received a lot of praise, I looked at the animation and felt it was lacking, and in many cases abandoned the multiplanar camera angle. Some of the prominent clips feature heavy background/foreground movement. And we got another smug wisecracky lead character. Woo.

Remember when they remade Voltron? Run off to Sakugabooru where they keep track of good animation. Look up the voltron tag. Oh hey its the new Voltron show, the show about a giant robot. how much of the great animation in a Giant Robot Show will have the titular Giant Robot? Out of 22 clips, 2 feature the main robot 2 feature tiny clips where barely the component lions were shown. In one case it was just to show a dude in a suit flying from the background to the foreground, a very Western thing. The rest of the clips are populated with magic hand to hand combat as the creators lament being unable to do another punchy-kicky Korra season. Oh and we get the Sokka character again.

Compare with the Live Action Godzilla. They also forgot to show the titular monster. The original movie put it off because there was an investigation as to what the hell was going on. There was a point to withhold the reveal.

Conversely, look at all the the falling-flat Stan Lee anime over the year. The West simply doesn't know the strength of Japan's animation tradition, or how to operate a genre piece without turning it into a meta-commentary. Why did I talk mostly about animation in these adaptations? Likely because it is an animation medium. Story and Characters are told through animation in this medium.

The media I mentioned aren't bad, but they aren't utilizing the fact they are "Anime" other than a marketing buzzword.

Quote:
To me, the greatest strength of anime has always been its ability to draw on that vast array of genres and themes, which can only benefit from cross-cultural mixing.

And the crossovers aren't doing that. No one is holding up the Marvel anime or the later Disc....Avengers. Americans getting involved in Production of anime aren't going to add to the romance or war genres. Yujou Senki, LoGH? Ore Monogatari, Aoi Hana? The fact Netflix backed Sidonia after the fact was pretty shocking, paving the way for Blame to get pushed into the limelight.

Anyways, these foreign interventions can work sometimes, but given what I see from what we get, I think Americans should go back to focusing on their 3D projects.

I mean if they adore 2D animation so much and are not just piggybacking on the anime trend, why not partner with those legendary French artists? Even Toei partnered with France for one project...and then took a cool 2D trailer and turned it into another 3D affair....ah nevermind. Even the French are lost.

The last bastion of 2D animation fought hard for it on slave wages, over their own blood and tears. For foreign investors to even threaten it with their giant bags of cash, its the Unequal treaties of the pre-Restoration era for the animation industry. Take our cash and surrender your economy.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Bingal wrote:

They're gatekeeping. But what they conveniently ignore is the fact that it were the titles with international appeal that made us interested in anime and manga in the first place. Whether it's Dragonball, Full Metal Alchemist, Akira or Ninja Scroll, etc. And last time I checked, a lot of them are still well-received, so it also has nothing to do with the ''dumbing down of anime.''

What exactly is 'international appeal'? Shows that are successful internationally? In that case Sword Art Online and Shuumatsu no Izetta have international appeal given they are huge in the US. From what I've seen people say international appeal means no fanservice, light novel adaptions, or high school series, yet all three are extremely successful here. It sounds like a minority of fans are holding onto international appeal meaning 'shows I personally like' and anti-otaku, as if otaku series don't succeed here.

-Stuart Smith
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:08 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Or bring everything full circle: Anime Disney. I have no idea what an anime Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge would look or move like but a 12 episode anime adaptation of Carl Barks stories? An anime version of Lost in the Andes or the 24 Carat Moon? "Ducktales? More like Duck, uh, stale." Wow, that's an anagram, did not think that one through....

Well, there was the Stitch stuff.

Haterater wrote:
Don't see the problem if they execute it right. More anime genres or series many in the West to see again would be the ideal appeal. Personally, I wouldn't mind if they cut down on fan service for certain things(like children) or otakuness stuff that doesn't need to be there(having to do things to sell products that undermines the show). I can see the worry though, since the track record for more appeal isn't too high.

It isn't anime, but Nintendo as a company has been very good at international appeal, whether it be Mario Kart, Pokémon, Splatoon, ARMS, etc. That being said, Nintendo never really followed what other Japanese companies were doing in the first place and has been western-influenced since they tried making a game set in Brooklyn starring an Italian man.

BlueOla wrote:
Wait... do you think that suddenly ALL anime will be "Americanized"? Did we read the same article? Crunchyroll is partnering with 1 (one) company. That company doesn't own the entire anime market. Typically Japanese anime will still be made, the anime market is still mostly domestic and otaku are still their target audience. So what's the harm in having some more "Westernized" shows? Some shows that don't pander to otaku? What's so wrong with variety? I think this will be great overall - you'll still get your usual fanservice and weird stuff and other people will get stuff that has "international appeal". Idk about you but I'm not expecting more than one of those "Westernized" productions every season. So what's the harm? It's the best way to diversify the industry. Why is that so bad?

If you put it that way, that'd be quite an interesting sight. Shake up something rigid and break traditions. The best way to de-stagnate something is to bring in someone from the outside.

Of course, the core fans would not be happy with this. Just like core fans of anything else, anime as it is has really struck something within them, so they'd be the ones most worried about change on the horizon.

Jonny Mendes wrote:
What this partnership probably means is that the quantity of anime made by season will increase because of this partnership.
Some adaptions that didn't have the chance to become anime will be made and some anime originals with western audience in mind will be made. Maybe more American Marvel/DC will have anime adaptations,
Like Chinese/Japanese animation partnership, this will have no impact on anime in general except in the quantity.

Well, maybe not Marvel/DC as Disney owns Marvel and Time Warner owns DC and this partnership is with NBC-Universal. As far as comic book adaptations go, they're welcome to pick something from any other publisher though, as to my knowledge those are the only two owned by NBC-Universal's competition.

Personally, I would love to see an adaptation from anyone, anyone in the world at all, of Irredeemable. That story put Boom! Comics on the map.

Top Gun wrote:
That's all well and good, but there are also those of us who are interested in anime because it encompasses a lot of good animation that just so happens to be made in Japan, a place which has provided a playground for a lot of talented auteurs that doesn't exist to the same extent anywhere else. The way I see it, increased creative collaboration can only be a good thing. I love it when anime series reference Western movies and TV series, and when Western-made animation draws clear stylistic influences from anime storytelling. It's great when people like Masaaki Yuasa get to direct an episode of a mainstream American cartoon, and when two American directors hire some of Japan's best directors to create an anthology based on their blockbuster film franchise. Great creative works don't just draw from a single myopic source, but a wide range of experiences and perspectives. To me, the greatest strength of anime has always been its ability to draw on that vast array of genres and themes, which can only benefit from cross-cultural mixing.

And don't worry, there will still be more than enough moeblob harem light-novel garbage adaptations to go around for everyone.

Same here. I was pleasantly surprised when Little Witch Academia had cameos of characters from Gravity Falls and Pawn Stars, along with their own domestic references.

Simply put, knowledge is meant to be shared, not hoarded. I love when things get mixed around between different cultures and countries, because you can produce something even greater. Coffee in the state that it is today wouldn't have existed were it not for selective breeding in Yemen, improved brewing techniques in Italy, and decaffeination methods in Switzerland. Of course the mingling will produce flops. Anything as risky as this will, especially when it's not fully understood how to maintain that appeal. But without taking risks, nothing will improve.

I'm speaking of this as a fan of animation in general though, so it would come as no surprise that I would welcome a collaboration between different countries.

kotomikun wrote:
Maybe giant robots, but those seem to be out of fashion these days. Anything that strays from those genres is unlikely to be more than a temporary cult phenomenon, even within the anime community.

Based on what's popular in the United States (and possibly the west in general), there is plenty of appeal to gigantic war machines, but with the exception of powered armor (i.e. Iron Man, and very briefly, Big Guy & Rusty) and cyborgs (like Robocop and Inspector Gadget), we westerners prefer our war machines to look like extensions of currently existing military vehicles. Star Wars is a good example of such a franchise: There is nothing preventing humongous mecha from being in the Star Wars galaxy, but they're just not there. Instead, all of the vehicles are distinctly non-humanoid and have a geometric, functional appearance, and more importantly, are direct analogues to familiar machines. Star Destroyers are like battleships, TIE Fighters and X-Wings and such are like jet fighters, the Death Star (and Starkiller Base) are like nukes, and so forth.

kotomikun wrote:
Most of us like the Western-style shows, for obvious reasons, but they're called gateway series for a reason; nobody wants to just stand in the gateway forever.

Part of the reason the Wii fizzled out was that Nintendo was attempting to move its expanded audience upstream and get them into games more traditionally aimed at the existing fans. That is, I think there are plenty who are content to remain in the gateway. Those referred to as "casual fans" are most likely to do that, especially if they've had that status for a long time and they have other hobbies than anime, because they're constantly moving into that proverbial gateway and then backing right out to go do other things for a while.
matt78

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
What I would like to see them do is give second chances to shows that did well in the West but didn't do good enough in Japan to get a sequel. As an example I heard Deadman Wonderland did really well on Toonami but bombed in Japan. What if Crunchyroll took a show like that and gave it a Brotherhood style reboot. I'd love to see them give reboots to Soul Eater, Rosario + Vampire, Negima and many others. Between Crunchyroll and Funimation they should have enough information to know which shows this will work on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4