• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale Director Teases Blu-ray May Show Asuna's Nipples

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Yazu13 wrote:
It feels disrespectful that they're even talking about showing a character's nipples as a major selling point for a BD. Why not hype up the story or upgraded visuals? Imagine if they came out with BDs for shows like Fate/Zero or Attack on Titan and said "Hey anime fans! We've got a treat for those of you who really enjoyed these series'! We're going to show the female lead's nipples in the BD release even though these were previously serious shows that didn't need nudity to tell a good story!"

Well, there IS the occasional Hollywood raunchy comedy that gets an "Uncut and Uncensored" home video release, like American Pie. Sword Art Online is not a raunchy comedy though. (Well, not primarily one anyway.)

Up to some time, I would've said that One Piece would be similarly inappropriate if it promised nipples on home video, but...then Oda got married, discovered sex, and now that's not too farfetched anymore.
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:

1- Fate/Zero wasn't an adaptation of a game. Neutral

2- Nasu never wanted it to be an Eroge but had to put h-scenes cause they sell well. Aside from F/SN and perhaps Ataraxia, you won't find a Type-Moon work with nudity/sex (Aside from Prisma Iliya, but that's another thing altogether. <.<)
Yea none of this changes the fact it's roots are based off an h game. My point is sex and nudity would not be out of place. Hell even if that wasn't it's origin it was a show geared towards adults with romance elements.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:

1- Fate/Zero wasn't an adaptation of a game

2- Nasu never wanted it to be an Eroge but had to put h-scenes cause they sell well. Aside from F/SN and perhaps Ataraxia, you won't find a Type-Moon work with nudity/sex (Aside from Prisma Iliya, but that's another thing altogether. <.<)

Fate/Zero is a Light Novel based on the eroge Fate/stay night so you can say that is based on the game.

Tsukihime, Kagetsu Tohya and the ones that you refer Fate/stay night and Fate/hollow ataraxia are eroge and have nudity/sex except in the console/all ages version so you probably only know of the console/all ages versions of the first ones.

Aside from Mahoutsukai no Yoru and the upcoming Girls' Work all Type-Moon visual novels have nudity/sex.

Type-Moon started as a visual novel/eroge maker so he know that working with them, he had to add h-scenes.
Well, nowadays he can write them without h-scenes like in Mahoutsukai no Yoru.

But really, even I , a avid fan of fanservice and ecchi anime think there is no need to add that kind of tease for a SAO BD release.
If SAO was a kind of ecchi anime that would be fine but as it are not, that add is unnecessary.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Yazu13 wrote:
I only ever got around to watching the first series of SAO (SAO proper and the fairy stuff), and I enjoyed it. It didn't really sexualize characters that much either, though I gotta wonder if it's worth continuing if it's gonna start pandering to the ecchi crowd. I didn't watch it for fanservice, because fanservice had no place in it, but it's the new trending blight in anime, just like moe after Haruhi was so popular.

You may not realize this, but SAO originally had a pretty detailed Kirito and Asuna sex scene. The LN version and the anime took out the scene while leaving it heavily implied that they still had sex. Just google SAO chapter 16.5. There were other parts altered / left out as well such as that part of SAO where Kirito and Liz end up sleeping in that whole in the ice. I can't remember the details, but basically Liz starts touching herself while sleeping next to him.

Anyway, my point is that while the anime may not have played up those aspects, the series was founded on them so I don't see anything disrespectful towards the franchise about playing towards that stuff.

Yazu13 wrote:
It feels disrespectful that they're even talking about showing a character's nipples as a major selling point for a BD. Why not hype up the story or upgraded visuals? Imagine if they came out with BDs for shows like Fate/Zero or Attack on Titan and said "Hey anime fans! We've got a treat for those of you who really enjoyed these series'! We're going to show the female lead's nipples in the BD release even though these were previously serious shows that didn't need nudity to tell a good story!"

I am 100% on board if they want to add nipples to Fate blurays as a way to promote the discs. Actually no I'm like 200% on board if they do it while taking out the shitty looking cg animals that are used to represent the characters having sex.

SnK is a shounen manga so I think that might be weird to put nipples in the bluray and play it off as a way to promote it. I mean I wouldn't object to the nipples themselves, but I feel like it isn't in line with the original image of the series to promote it specifically.
chronos02

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, regarding the nipples, I don't think it's something to be overly excited about, it's just a small service the producers have added, wether that might make the BD/DVD sales skyrocket is another matter (but I'm sure we all know they expect them to do so). And yes, many doujin have Asuna showing her nipples, and much more, but those, as someone else mentioned, are not canon.

As for SAO being good or not... the answer right now is hard to reach. SAO belongs to a genre that has very, very few siblings: .hack// being the elder one, and Denno Coil being the half sister. SAO is not an Isekai, it's strongly similar, even on the Alicization chapter, but it doesn't fall on that genre, which makes it very rare, but it causally falls into the category of extreme versomility for it all turns around VR/AR technologies, something Kawahara Reki knew was about to come, and consciously or subconsciously made the novels about it, hitting home with many people wishing for this technology to expand to the levels that appear on SAO, making them become instant fans. It's what we call doing something the right way in the right time (not too soon, and not too late).

but well, I'm on the side that thinks the story is good, but it abuses too much the white knighting and self indulgence, as if it all were a fantasy of Kawahara for himself. And Alicization being a sort of concession to "make up" for it. I still like it nontheless.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:17 am Reply with quote
kamen_otaku81 wrote:
Asuna? Meh. If it was, Suguha or Lisbeth, THAN we'll talk.

And I swear to the anime Gods that I'm trying not to be a dirty old man.

.....Okay. Maybe a little. Please don't judge me.

Considering Leafa is the bustiest, it would have to be her for sure.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
... Wait, why was this article moved to the side bar?

Hey guys, so this article was put in the sidebar as a bit of an experiment. We want to see what happens when we repost articles to the sidebar after several days to see what kind of bump in traffic they get. Our dev team is researching with interest & news articles and will repost several in the coming weeks, the types of articles re-posted and the delay will vary pretty significantly.

Our mainfeed can scroll pretty fast if you don't visit daily, so you might get the chance to catch some articles that way. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5