• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Summer 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm disappointed that 18if didn't make the cut either.
But then again, I wonder how well that show is gonna go after watching ep 2.

I'm pleased Key is gonna be able to finish Re:Creators and has Princess Principal. I'm also happy that The Reflection is gonna get a weekly review as well.

@wildbill
If they waited for everything to of had 2 eps in to set the vote, most of the Summer Cour shows would of been at least 4-5 eps in. The Reflection doesn't start 'till the 22nd or so.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I was mildly curious about Angel's 3Piece, so I'm a bit disappointed that didn't make the cut. Though I imagine the moderators don't want to have to clean up the similar arguments the reviews would likely ensure every week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
My gut feeling right now is that Smartphone could be this season's Hand Shakers/Chaos Dragon, as of the lower-scoring titles which made the cut, that's the one I see with the least potential to get better (or at least more entertaining).

An equally good question is which title which didn't start good is going to end up being much better by the end of the season (a la Akashic Records last season). I think My First Girlfriend actually has a shot at that, but if it doesn't then it should at least be fun to lambaste.

Whether or not My First Girlfriend can be a good show depends on which characters it decides to spend more time on.

Yukana? Maybe.

MC's three male friends? All hope is lost.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:19 pm Reply with quote
How did Cheer Fruits not make it!? Come on anime community, what are you doing!?!
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I am happy that In Another World With My Smartphone will be covered since I enjoy pleasant fantasy shows. In terms of the new shows Made in Abyss looks like it will be a complex fairy tale while Gamers will hopefully continue to be a great comedy.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:12 pm Reply with quote
The only 2 titles I wish would have made it that did not are Cheer Fruits & Saiyuki Gunlock. I am not surprised Saiyuki didn't given the age of the original series. Except for fans of the show I don't see it exactly pulling in a ton of new fans. Which sucks as I am a fan, but I get it and I am not surprised by it's exclusion. Cheer Fruits however surprised the hell out of me. It was one of the higher rated previewed shows by both fans and reviewers. Is it because no one on the review staff has HiDive?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
The only 2 titles I wish would have made it that did not are Cheer Fruits & Saiyuki Gunlock. I am not surprised Saiyuki didn't given the age of the original series. Except for fans of the show I don't see it exactly pulling in a ton of new fans. Which sucks as I am a fan, but I get it and I am not surprised by it's exclusion. Cheer Fruits however surprised the hell out of me. It was one of the higher rated previewed shows by both fans and reviewers. Is it because no one on the review staff has HiDive?

Nope, it just polled really poorly! Critical reviews don't matter if people just don't vote for the show, I'm afraid. Critical preferences can definitely swing picks one way or the other if stuff's on the fence, but Cheer Fruits was firmly off the fence.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Well all of the series that I'm watching this season are getting reviews including My First Girlfriend is a Gal which I thought didn't have a chance but thankfully enough people voted for it. Very Happy
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:04 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
BlackPoint. wrote:
Sigh i always miss out on this polls, cant they pin em somewhere on the front page?? so that more people can see it right away or smth >_>

They are on the front page, in both the big banner and the sidebar. They're only up for about 30 hours or so though. Gotta vote fast!

Honestly, I was amazed at how long it was up this season. It used to be much shorter. I felt like the nearly 2 days this time was more than enough. Not to mention, as you guys have said, the actual choices solidify pretty dang fast anyway.
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Still a shame that Netflix has Kakegurui, but at least everything else I care about from this season will be getting reviews.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
My gut feeling right now is that Smartphone could be this season's Hand Shakers/Chaos Dragon, ...An equally good question is which title which didn't start good is going to end up being much better by the end of the season (a la Akashic Records last season). I think My First Girlfriend actually has a shot at that, but if it doesn't then it should at least be fun to lambaste.
It looks like my nefarious plan worked! I voted for SmartPhone and Gal (twice each!) just because I think they will be the stinkers that some poor slob gets to review. Looks like Mr. Farris is up...Anyway, I loved Akashic Records, so here's to hoping that one of these actually gets good. I also boldly predict that by season's end, reviewers will be sorry they weren't doing 18if.
Ambulator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:55 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I was mildly curious about Angel's 3Piece, so I'm a bit disappointed that didn't make the cut.

So am I. If the last bit is really indicative of how it's going to go it didn't deserve coverage, but I still have hope that it was a fake out.

Is there any way to see how the votes went?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:00 am Reply with quote
It's a mildly disappointing feeling, realizing that none of the "new" shows I'm watching this season are popular enough to be covered on ANN.

My only consolation is that Teekyu's lack of popularity in the US has had zero effect on the show's financial viability... you don't get to nine seasons without demand for the show somewhere.
Mojave

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:51 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
My gut feeling right now is that Smartphone could be this season's Hand Shakers/Chaos Dragon, as of the lower-scoring titles which made the cut, that's the one I see with the least potential to get better (or at least more entertaining).

I'm not so sure that Smartphone has the potential to be that awful. There's a big difference between being an active trainwreck and simply being uninspired. Smartphone is certainly so far the latter, not the former, and since it's not actually actively bad at anything it does, I just don't see it being the entertaining trainwreck we're hoping for.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:50 am Reply with quote
Oh yay, what I voted for made it in! I'm excited to see the weekly reviews for Gamers! Rarely do I ever actually read these weekly reviews, but I've enjoyed how Paul has written in the past, so I'll be sure to follow along.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4