• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Altair: A Record of Battles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Altair and a few other anime have been postponed for two weeks because of an athletics competition. It just ended so all of them should be back this week. Altair plans to release 2 episodes at once to make up for it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, lesterf1020! I had noticed a few other shows not having episodes but Altair was the only one I noticed missing two and that's a little unusual.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Thanks for the info, lesterf1020! I had noticed a few other shows not having episodes but Altair was the only one I noticed missing two and that's a little unusual.

Bahamut Virgin Soul also went on a two-week break
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:30 pm Reply with quote
lesterf1020 wrote:
Altair and a few other anime have been postponed for two weeks because of an athletics competition. It just ended so all of them should be back this week. Altair plans to release 2 episodes at once to make up for it.

Oh nice.

Really enjoyed Arslan and the first couple of this were good so I'm in for more.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Sorry all, no Turkish lesson for the fifth episode today, likely because Mahmut is in a city that doesn't really draw on any particular Turkish aspects. It was a pretty tense episode though.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:50 am Reply with quote
I wish I hadn't missed a few weeks, I can't remember who was who and who works for who.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Mahmut brought up the fact Venedik was founded on the five elements (tree, water, fire, metal and earth), which means the city drew just a bit of influence from the Chinese elements cycle.
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I have been really frustrated at this series for so long, due to the fact that its take on history tends to be just as criminally naive as its protagonist. But not in episode 6. This time finally the "bad", (and more clever, well-tempered and capable) side won. War and politics are not as black and white as Altair seems to be presenting them, and the fact that it caters to an equally naive audience really shows when it expects you to take seriously a freaking Eagle of all things.

Episode 6 (and its aftermath in ep.7) managed to elevate a show from being a complete drag to actually something interesting. Hopefully, the more Mahmut grows up, the more his view of the world will change. And you know, there was another guy in another anime series with similar cultural depictions, that started off with similar aspirations, until life punched him in the face, kicked him in the balls, and slammed him down the ground to break him. His name was Sinbad and he was from Magi.
Niello

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Mahmut brought up the fact Venedik was founded on the five elements (tree, water, fire, metal and earth), which means the city drew just a bit of influence from the Chinese elements cycle.

It's not really Venedik, more like the whole continent. Water is the one that's worshipped the most, which is why Zaganos is using the shrines in his kulak system. Here we just see the rest. It's not all too important because later in the manga they are never really mentioned again, much less explored further. Here I'm hoping that for the next episode they don't let Christian references sneak into the architecture the same way it in the manga because the author copied real buildings for background art.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Turkish lesson of the day...and it was during the next episode preview. Haha. XD

Birlik means union or association. In this case, the Turkish Union is going to be having some problems next week.

As for Episode 8, many folks probably may have seen the little twist at the end coming easily, it was a good way to see how Mahmut would react to a situation in front of him that he had only casually walked into, rather than hearing something during a divan (which I forgot to mention means state council) and reacting to it then. Meeting the Doge was a hard lesson in how nations conduct themselves (and it's clearly obvious a nation has to think of its own people first before attempting to help others).

Of course, just because you're a calculating and logical leader doesn't mean you discard your heart for the sake of running things smoothly. The cruel reality is a leader cannot show their emotions, because it would be seen as a weakness that anyone can take advantage of.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Turkish lesson of the day...and it was during the next episode preview. Haha. Anime hyper

Birlik means union or association. In this case, the Turkish Union is going to be having some problems next week.

Aha! That was my supposition, but it's good to have it confirmed. This will be good to know going into next week. Thanks, as always, for the lesson! Very Happy
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Aha! That was my supposition, but it's good to have it confirmed. This will be good to know going into next week. Thanks, as always, for the lesson! :D

No problem. Good supposition on your part. : )
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:39 am Reply with quote
I don't understand why they keep changing dialogue, characterization and story details for no good reason. Never mind that this time they squeezed an entire volume's worth of story into a single episode while the previous episode was 90% filler, they also changed Lucio's characterization, from a wise and insightful leader into someone who is openly shocked to hear a news that he should be already perfectly aware of (and indeed in the manga he is) and openly shows emotions (which would go against the entire point of suppressing his personal feelings for his country's sake). Mahmut is shown to have the moral upper hand throughout, even though in the manga he comes across as still naive and in need of learning more about how politics and diplomacy works.

At the end of the audience in the anime Lucio delivers this clichéd line that a war to protect a country is still war. In the manga there's nothing like that - he says he's disappointed in Mahmut, because he'd heard he was a pacifist who became a pasha to avert wars, and yet it would seem that Mahmut is the most aggressively pro-war of everyone in the room, and perhaps Mahmut would like to reflect on that.

I just don't understand what they're doing. These weren't changes that are necessary to translate the story from manga into anime, these were arbitrary decisions on the part of the staff (and not for the first time) dumbing the whole thing down.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I thought Captain Harlock Brega gave Abiriga his freedom. How could Mahmut buy him from him? Pay his debt and fines, sure, but that's different. I also don't get why they didn't just ask Mahmut to take him with him, with the public story about Abiriga's being exiled for his crime. Would've been a whole lot easier.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:44 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
I don't understand why they keep changing dialogue, characterization and story details for no good reason. Never mind that this time they squeezed an entire volume's worth of story into a single episode while the previous episode was 90% filler, they also changed Lucio's characterization, from a wise and insightful leader into someone who is openly shocked to hear a news that he should be already perfectly aware of (and indeed in the manga he is) and openly shows emotions (which would go against the entire point of suppressing his personal feelings for his country's sake). Mahmut is shown to have the moral upper hand throughout, even though in the manga he comes across as still naive and in need of learning more about how politics and diplomacy works.

At the end of the audience in the anime Lucio delivers this clichéd line that a war to protect a country is still war. In the manga there's nothing like that - he says he's disappointed in Mahmut, because he'd heard he was a pacifist who became a pasha to avert wars, and yet it would seem that Mahmut is the most aggressively pro-war of everyone in the room, and perhaps Mahmut would like to reflect on that.

I just don't understand what they're doing. These weren't changes that are necessary to translate the story from manga into anime, these were arbitrary decisions on the part of the staff (and not for the first time) dumbing the whole thing down.
I've only watched the Anime, but honestly I find it great, so the changes must be for the better. One example based on your changes, is I like Mahmut growing wise to the way the world works, rather staying naive like he was in the first few episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5