• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Altair: A Record of Battles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Did this episode looks really off visually to anyone else?
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Treecko Tempo wrote:

Episode 11 had already looked terribly inconsistent thanks to seven animation directors working on it (plus storyboards credited to MAPPA instead of a single person), but episode 12 managed to be even worse in that regard, with ten credited animation directors. MAPPA really is spreading itself too thin, and it's starting to remind me of Gonzo in the mid-'00s.
MarkyMarc413

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Treecko Tempo wrote:

Episode 11 had already looked terribly inconsistent thanks to seven animation directors working on it (plus storyboards credited to MAPPA instead of a single person), but episode 12 managed to be even worse in that regard, with ten credited animation directors. MAPPA really is spreading itself too thin, and it's starting to remind me of Gonzo in the mid-'00s.

Considering MAPPA had/has 3 shows on air at the same time (for summer, Kakegurui, Bahamut, and Altair, and for fall Altair with Vanishing Line and Inuyashiki), I'm surprised they're able to maintain the work load at all! I thought they were more along the lines of PA Works, Kyo Ani, Madhouse, or Wit, with at MOST two shows on air, but I guess they like a challenge.

-Marc.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was kinda rolling my eyes when Balaban got up from the head shot, but then it occurred to me that it's actually not impossible, given the weapons. The shot obviously lacks the tech of modern projectiles (not to mention the speed), i.e., it doesn't much deform upon entry, and doesn't fragment, so damage isn't as catastrophic as what we're used to seeing. People have been spiked in the head and gone to emergency rooms with the spike in situ, still chatting to the medical personnel until they're anesthetized for removal. I'd think these musket balls would leave a similar damage track.

tl:dr, he would be more likely to die of blood loss than the organ damage itself.

What really bothered me though was that once they had them trapped with no idea what was coming, all the gunfire should've been aimed at Balaban, not his soldiers. Even with deficient aiming capabilities, someone should've been able to hit him, if not with shot, then with arrows. With him down, his troops would've surrendered instead of being slaughtered.

I feel really bad for Beyazit though.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13 bows out with one new word to learn and one possible major reference. A pretty explanatory episode overall (with one majorly dramatic moment), but it makes sense since it is one of those info dump situations. Being a sultan or a pasha is not an easy task.

Kemal: This might possibly be the biggest one. While Kemal is a typical name for Turkish boys, Prince Kemal could very well be a reference to Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the first president of Turkey who ended up doing so much for the country that it would be better to link his accomplishments rather than make a huge post about what he had done: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustafa_Kemal_Atatürk

Unfortunately, and not to get too political, all of his hard work has been undone in recent years by the idiot known as Erdoğan, a stupid dumbass who has done everything he can to send Turkey's progress backwards with his numerous actions.

kayuts: This should be written kayıt. The word means record, registration, enrollment or enlistment. In this case, it's literally used in the context of spoiler["Let the record show Mahmut Bey has been promoted to pasha."]

So I assume this marks the end of the first season for Altair?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 was pretty good. When they were preparing to execute her, I was thinking, "This is really stupid because (reasons); what they should do is (things)," and then Mahmut lays out exactly those reasons for doing exactly those things. Very Happy
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:11 pm Reply with quote
New season, and an awesome new opening and ending song to go with Episode 14.

Hanum: This should be written "Hanım" (and should come after the person's name, not before as the subtitles incorrectly show). In this context, it's basically speaking respectfully to a woman, much like men are referred to with Bey after their name.

Chinili: It's blatantly obvious Chinili is Altair's version of China. In Turkish, the word for Chinese people is Çinli, so it's definitely what they were going for.

I must admit it was very satisfying to watch Niki spoiler[go tonfa mode on that Idris prick. Bigmouths like him need a good beatdown to make them shut up]. Niki herself is a pretty fun new party member and I hope to see how well she puts both her merchant and combat skills to use in future episodes. And as always, Mahmut is shining when he's coming up with his killer plans to turn things around.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Wow, seems like I'm the only one still talking about this show now. There were no new Turkish words or references in Episode 15, but it was an interesting episode nonetheless.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:11 am Reply with quote
I just haven't had a chance to watch the most recent episode yet. I'm really excited that you're going to keep up the Turkish lessons! Very Happy
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I just haven't had a chance to watch the most recent episode yet. I'm really excited that you're going to keep up the Turkish lessons! :D

I was just playing. I just thought everyone else lost interest in the show. XD
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:00 am Reply with quote
I'm still watching. I felt bad that they killed the fox and sheep for the hell of it and didn't even seem to collect the fur and meat, which you'd think they would given the dire straits the country was in.

I don't think fossilized guano would still stink. I'm not even sure that climate would be good for guano accumulation since it snows so much (and I assume it's not year round). The meltwater, and any rainwater would leach out the ammonia in it, so it would be mostly just phosphorus left. Which would still be valuable, but not as valuable as just dried guano. Too bad they ate all the birds.

Still, I'm glad Mahmut had something to bargain with!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 16 had some moments reminiscent of the Suikoden series, what with the doge proposing an alliance between the three nations while the empire has its own alliance in mind. We've got war, people. We've also got one new vocabulary word of the day this time.

Sadrazam: The word means grand vizier. This is a word that's spelled correctly in the subtitles for a change. The only problem, however, is that Ayşe is a woman, and there has never been a female grand vizier in Turkish history. As you can guess, this hails from a time when women were not allowed to do much of anything. Of course, this is Altair, and Altair is fiction, so of course they can do something like give a woman the position of grand vizier that she technically could never have had in the real world.

I have to admit the funniest moments of the episode were spoiler[Mahmut's expression seeing the doge in his home] and spoiler[the doge getting motion sickness inside the carriage].
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote
It's really weird that they designed so many characters with hair falling over half their face, but still aren't committed enough to the look to stop showing the should-be-hidden eye through the apparently transparent hair. This isn't new by a long shot, in this series or anime in general, but it was really bugging me in this episode for some reason.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It's really weird that they designed so many characters with hair falling over half their face, but still aren't committed enough to the look to stop showing the should-be-hidden eye through the apparently transparent hair. This isn't new by a long shot, in this series or anime in general, but it was really bugging me in this episode for some reason.

Definitely a weird relic of 90s anime.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:31 am Reply with quote

I kinda like the whatsername of Fiore (her under-the-table shenanigans were both clever and hilarious), but why are they translating it as that when the characters are all saying Florence (at least to my unattuned ears)?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5