• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Altair: A Record of Battles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
No new Turkish words or references for Episode 17, but it certainly was amusing to see Caterina messing with Suleyman as well as Mahmut's reaction to it. Pffft, the pasha knows his combat strategy, but he's had zero exposure to feminine wiles. XD

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I kinda like the whatsername of Fiore (her under-the-table shenanigans were both clever and hilarious), but why are they translating it as that when the characters are all saying Florence (at least to my unattuned ears)?

I can answer that one, Gina. The kanji used for Fiore (the Italian word for flower) is the character for flower in Japanese (花), which is used in the city's name, Fiore no kyōwakoku (literally "Flower Republic"). Above the kanji is the katakana for Florence, which is what the voice actors are told to pronounce when speaking the city's name. The subtitles say Fiore because that's likely what the subbing group was paying attention to instead of Florence.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I guess it makes sense for simulcasts, since they need the script ahead of time, rather than translating what they hear.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
It's time for the Turkish lesson of the week, everyone! And overall, this was a pretty solid episode as far moving forward with the plot goes.

Bati: This should be written as batı, which means "west", as in the direction. The adjective form would be batılı, meaning "western" as in the western reaches or lands.

Efendim: This one impressed me. Not only did the subs have it spelled correctly, but the actors pronounced it correctly as well. Efendim is basically answering "yes" in response to someone calling you, but it can also mean "sir" or "ma'am" in the context of "Yes sir/ma'am!" in response to a military or other similar authority figure.

Eyalet: Correctly spelled. Eyalet means province, state, or principality.

Altu: This one is a tad odd. The subbing group didn't pay attention to the katakana in the lower left corner, since it ended with an "n" (that would have made the name Altun). I believe the word they were going for was altın, which means gold or golden.

There are two other words, owa and muhjer, but these aren't Turkish at all and make no sense. I'm not sure what the original writers were going for in either case.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Episode 19 has no new Turkish words for the week, but it was certainly satisfying to see spoiler[the empire finally lose something; a shame it wasn't that bald bastard of a general]. I have to say the newest introduction to the cast, the director of Chielo, is quite an interesting guy, though he certainly has a vicious side to his otherwise upbeat and charming demeanor, since it looks like he was the only one who spoiler[approved of the Balt-Rhein division burning to death in his surprise trap; even the refugees were horrified at seeing it]. Unfortunately, I am not too happy about spoiler[the title of next week's episode, as it's clearly waving the death flag for one of the show's most likable characters].
Screamangel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
There are two other words, owa and muhjer, but these aren't Turkish at all and make no sense. I'm not sure what the original writers were going for in either case.

''Muhjer'' means mücevher and ''Owa'' means ova.
Btw you are doing a good job with words in here. Are you Turkish or something?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:29 am Reply with quote
Screamangel wrote:
''Muhjer'' means mücevher and ''Owa'' means ova.
Btw you are doing a good job with words in here. Are you Turkish or something?

See, that would have made more sense at the time, but they didn't even attempt to get the spelling close to the word for jewelry, which would fit with the other place being named for gold. Good catch there. As for ova, that would be "plain" or "valley", but I'm not sure why they went with owa since Japan does have a b-sound for v.

I am half-Turkish, yes.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20 went about how I thought it would, especially with a title like that. spoiler[I liked Halil, damn it]!

Actually, there is something about Halil's name that I should have brought up way back in the first season. All of you have probably noticed that it's written Halil in subtitles, but the voice cast has been pronouncing it as Khalil this whole time. This is simply a difference of cultural pronunciation. Halil is a Turkish name, but in Arabic, they would write it as Khalil, which is what the voice actors are saying. I really should have brought this discrepancy up much earlier.

Also, I have to apologize to Irene and everyone about the Tesisat Kapi thing that I raised some objections about back in September. Tesisat by itself does mean to install something, and if you put the word on Google images, you will indeed get pictures of things like plumbing or electrical installation, so it is the correct definition of the word. However, I had forgotten to mention that since sections of fortresses with actual entrances are referred to by their location (North Gate, South Gate, West Gate) or a special designation (New Gate, River Gate, Mountain Gate), Tesisat Kapi was likely more accurate than I originally believed. The reason it was given to a pasha as part of his title meant that he was in charge of a specific gate of the fortress that is named for a district called Tesisat, not that he was in charge of installing doors. I feel really stupid about that now.

I won't deny it, but spoiler[when Halil was encouraging Mahmut and everyone from the other side, I cried just a little bit. He was a true Turkish man to the end].
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:24 am Reply with quote
I'm really bad at the character names in this, but I think I really hate old Scarface more than even the goateed blond (Louis?). I might hate the ojou-sama strategist almost as much as Scarface. It's not because they're the villains opposing our heroes (like the siege engine guy's just doing his job very effectively, so while I'm not rooting for him, I don't hate him for being on the wrong side), it's their arrogant egotism that makes me want to take a pike to their heads.

As usual, I feel bad for the horses. Sad Mahmut's grieving scene was pretty nice though.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 21 has no new Turkish vocabulary to cover, but it was yet another example of spoiler[Mahmut's awesome tactics in battle. He never fails to impress]. The art style did look noticeably off though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
^ Ditto. Especially at the beginning, where Cyrus was almost unrecognizable, even in closeups. (he looks like a character out of Doonesbury Smile) Happy to see the strategist get pwned. Hopefully, they won't bother taking prisoners...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 22

I'm no military strategist, but it seems to me that the really obvious way to defeat that turtle shield formation is, instead of just shooting flaming arrows at it, they catapulted flimsy bags of oil or pitch or something highly flammable at them and then shot a few flaming arrows at them. Once the shields are drenched in oil, and a good deal of that runs off onto the soldiers or the ground, they'd be sitting ducks to be toasted. At the very least the shields would get too hot to hold on to. Just shooting plain flaming arrows that bounce off the shields obviously wasn't doing anything.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I fell a bit behind, but I'm caught up now. I'll be covering Episode 22 and 23 with this post. Only 22 has new Turkish words to cover.

Episode 22

Ascheri: The word should be written askerî, with the i having a little "hat" over it. It means military obviously enough, in the sense of a division of the military. Asker without the i would simply mean soldier.

Kurt: This means wolf or worm/maggot, though I doubt a military division ever would call itself the latter. In this case, it's definitely wolf since soldiers fighting together as a unit would obviously make you think of a wolf pack. It's pronounced koort, but the pronunciation is tricky if you don't know Turkish.

This was a satisfying episode in seeing the Balt-Rhein Empire get a taste of their own medicine after all their self-proclaimed boasting. Though I have to admit, the spoiler[moment of reflection by the imperial soldier Lucas right before he and Conrad got skewered] was a bit of a surprise, as I didn't think expect we'd see much from Balt-Rhein's troops beyond their two-dimensional "evil empire of conquest" personalities, much less from one of their generic foot soldiers.

Episode 23

With a title like spoiler[The End of Paradise], it was completely obvious what was going to happen here. I have to give props to Casandra for remaining so strong throughout this whole incident; the woman's got guts. She didn't seek vengeance, she wasn't angry, she just told everyone to accept the bitter reality in front of them and move on.

Last edited by belvadeer on Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Well the final episode of this season ended on precisely the note I was expecting. If they're planning another season next year, I'll be sure to stick around and keep supplying the Turkish translations and references. It's been a fun ride up to this point, and I hope this show gets an English dub down the line with professional Turkish VAs (yes, we have those) supplying true to the language pronunciations. A guy can hope. : )

Mimar Zeki: Mimar means "architect", and zeki means "clever" (Zeki is also a typical name for Turkish men). You could render it as either Clever Architect or Architect Zeki. Clever Architect would fit more when you consider spoiler[Zeki came up with a construction plan that combined both Cielo and Torqye's cultures, a credit to his cleverness].

Zehir: I should have really covered Zaganos's first name when it was previously stated. It means "venom" or "poison" in Turkish, which might be in line with how he has the air of a poisonous or venomous individual in regards to his rather ruthless planning. His hair and eye color certainly both add to that impression.

Imalett: I'm pretty sure this was supposed to be imalat, which means manufacturing or production. It would fit considering what Mahmut was talking about.

Sunul Cap: This should have been written as kapı, which I covered earlier as door or gate, so I guess the subbers got lazy here. Sunul means to present something, and combined with the fact that the object in question is a gate, I think they were going for something like "Presenting Gate" in the vein of "Gate that Presents the Way to the Empire", despite it was intended to keep Balt-Rhein out.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:03 am Reply with quote
Well, that was a nice wrap to it all. I'm sorry Louis didn't get some just desserts and is free to carry on with his slimy warmongering. I'm still sad about Carvajal getting murdered by those idiots.

Endless war is endless, I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5