• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Knight's & Magic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Despite the story still noticeable being on full blown overdrive its quite enjoyable as the reviewer said. I found the prince to be a bit annoying though, when the king told him to shut up I only thought "finally someone said it".
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:49 am Reply with quote
Xavon wrote:

Completely faithful? Large swaths have been cut out, elements rearranged.

i wouldnt go that far. some elements from the source materials have been cut out true, but only because its a 12 ep series. this series isnt as popular or have the resources that other LN adaptations (SAO , Toaru Majustu no Index , Shakugan no Shana) have to warrant a 24 ep series. a majority of them always end in 12 eps , rarely have a second season and at 95% of the time , have that annoying "read the books,kids !" type of endings.

however they have to more or less be faithful with the main elements otherwise it would more or less be considered as an anime original series and not canon to the source materials.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:18 am Reply with quote
This show certainly isn't perfect, but the enthusiastic nerds bonding always puts a smile on my face. That old guy would probably be an irredeemable viallin in every other series (they certainly made him look like one...), but here mecha love conquers all~. Very Happy
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
This episode's battle was really rushed. It can't be helped though, gotta world build. In the LN, the shellcased were a much bigger threat. Here, they are mostly here to show off the cool tech. Which are nevertheless still cool, so I'm not too unsatisfied, but still.

2 interesting things the anime did that the LN did not were to make the Alves not look like generic elves and to imply that the Elf Queen spoiler[could sense or at least suspected that Eru was actually from another world].

The ending scene of this episode was largely like the LN, but the LN had a lot more fun with the scene by making Eru's joy more evident and going crazy with the narration. In any case, I hope Ikaruga gets to go wild in the next few episodes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But given that the end result is still just explaining where the reactors come from, it feels less like seeds being laid for future plot interest and more like just another detail ‘because it's cool.’

I think the big seed being planted here was the Elf Queen's reaction to Ernesti. She clearly knows something's up with him.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:28 pm Reply with quote
It was another decent episode, though I think the issue with the other characters being pretty shallow still remains. I don't think they are ever going to be developed beyond one primary characteristic each. But still, Ernie remains as a compelling character so it seems they can make a decent show that is entirely based on him fulfilling his hobby Smile

One thing that seems a bit questionable though, the former King just handed over the technology and power for Ernie to literally create the most powerful mech that has ever existed as his own personal weapon (and with the magic key technology he developed, it is likely that only he can pilot it). Wouldn't they have to consider that he could use that thing to take over the country and declare himself god of the new world?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious as to whether the MC is actually going to have a fight where he is actually pressured, because every fight so far has basically been a game to him where he onesidedly stomps the opposition. It's just a bit hard to get excited about the action scenes when there doesn't seem to be any tension or a sense that the main cast are in any danger. Granted, I have also read other light novels like overlord and death march where the MC's are also super OP and pretty much have no challenge either so it's not exactly a new concept.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I'd look a lot better if I'd remembered to post a week ago.. but the elves were foreshadowed, with that one being present at the tournament. The wierd eyes, turban covering his ears and mention of taking Eru to "the village" pointed to some hidden clan of ancients or something being behind the reactors. I've seen a lot of racism in LNs lately whereby races who have anything in common with magical beasts like these elves are treated as sub-human that it is refreshing that this isn't happening here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
tehhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
I'm curious as to whether the MC is actually going to have a fight where he is actually pressured, because every fight so far has basically been a game to him where he onesidedly stomps the opposition. It's just a bit hard to get excited about the action scenes when there doesn't seem to be any tension or a sense that the main cast are in any danger. Granted, I have also read other light novels like overlord and death march where the MC's are also super OP and pretty much have no challenge either so it's not exactly a new concept.

spoiler[nope, rofl stomp all single matches, up into vol 5 of the LN
i suppose he's still at it on vol 7

last time i remember, the opponent need something like 10 of upgraded knights to even put pressure on ernie, and still being roflstomped anyway

oh, and he also ask for more opposition to come at him after each stomps
so yea, he'll turn into an obnoxious killer that has no whatsoever moral compass, in a few episode, then again, they fired at him, no hard feeling?]

{Edit}: Use spoilers please. I edited your post for you. Thank you. ~ Psycho 101
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:29 am Reply with quote
tehhead wrote:
#844391 wrote:

spoiler[nope, rofl stomp all single matches, up into vol 5 of the LN
i suppose he's still at it on vol 7

last time i remember, the opponent need something like 10 of upgraded knights to even put pressure on ernie, and still being roflstomped anyway

oh, and he also ask for more opposition to come at him after each stomps
so yea, he'll turn into an obnoxious killer that has no whatsoever moral compass, in a few episode, then again, they fired at him, no hard feeling?]

{Edit}: Use spoilers please. I edited your post for you. Thank you. ~ Psycho 101

i highly doubt that. otherwise ernie would be immediately become more dislikable than the MC from chaos dragon.

but if that really did happen in the LN version, then this series is gonna bottom under in a hurry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Ep 9,

So, the enemy empire has finally shown up, guessing that they're either going to crush them in the next 4 episodes and and finish the series like that, or end on some cliffhanger and tell people to read the LN.

Now, random annoying questions:
Why could none of them hit those giant, slow air ships with any of their magic weapons, they shoot fast moving silhouette knights all the time?

What's the point of the prince marrying the princess when they've already conquered the country. seems like it would be more beneficial to marry someone who can actually offer political benefits to his empire, like some other large nation they haven't conquered.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:30 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Ep 9,

So, the enemy empire has finally shown up, guessing that they're either going to crush them in the next 4 episodes and and finish the series like that, or end on some cliffhanger and tell people to read the LN.

Why could none of them hit those giant, slow air ships with any of their magic weapons, they shoot fast moving silhouette knights all the time?

What's the point of the prince marrying the princess when they've already conquered the country. seems like it would be more beneficial to marry someone who can actually offer political benefits to his empire, like some other large nation they haven't conquered.

which is why i always hold any anime series that have been adapted from a LN with a massive grain of salt since those series have a really bad habit of going down with that ever so annoying "read the books,kids!" type of ending unless their highly popular ala DxD or shakugan no shana. which is the reason despite its flaws, i like series like World Break or rakudai kishi no cavalry that use an anime original ending for the last ep instead.
michizure

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Their capital sits on this ominous spiky plateau, eternally bathed in reds and blacks, and even the moon above them looks evil!

Jinnai Katsuhiko and Diva called from El Hazard: the Bugrom want their city back.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Not that the empire was obviously morally gray in the LN or anything, but they went over the top in the anime. Also, here in the anime, it's implied that most of the mecha pilots who were defending against Eru survived while most of them died pretty brutally in the LN.

#844391 wrote:

1. The airships were too far away for the magic bullets to have effectiveness in the LN, though the anime just shows stormtrooper aiming.

2. It'll probably be mentioned next episode, but the marriage is mostly to minimize rebellion by making sure someone with Kuschpercha royal blood will eventually rule the area, even if it is a child from a forced marriage. The minor nobles are still around even if they currently don't have the forces to properly rebel.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
Not that the empire was obviously morally gray in the LN or anything, but they went over the top in the anime. Also, here in the anime, it's implied that most of the mecha pilots who were defending against Eru survived while they died pretty brutally in the LN.

#844391 wrote:

1. The airships were too far away for the magic bullets to have effectiveness in the LN, though the anime just shows stormtrooper aiming.

2. It'll probably be mentioned next episode, but the marriage is mostly to minimize rebellion by making sure someone with Kuschpercha royal blood will eventually rule the area, even if it is a child from a forced marriage. The minor nobles are still around even if they currently don't have the forces to properly rebel.

I have noticed that in a lot of LN anime adaptations they try and make the MC less ruthless than in the original material.

And when I meant they missed the airship, I meant when it flew light right next to them to pick up the blade mech guy. It was literally right next to them, I figured one shot of the prince's blast howl (I think that was the attack name, the one that busted open the gate and killed lots of ants) could have one shot the airship right there and then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7