• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Princess Principal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 5 was another winner, and I would put the formal introduction of Chise up with the mission that Ange and Beatrice worked together at working some good chemistry up. I think it also works in ways of Japanese creators doing Japanese culture, showing how it would be strange to these British characters. I found it an especially strong scene when Chise was trying to make the hurt go away.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:34 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I found it an especially strong scene when Chise was trying to make the hurt go away.
Though I do feel like they treated the audience as stupid by having her go ahead and explain that it wasn't working.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:49 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed Episode 5 as well. If I ever own this series (a distinct possibility since I'm really enjoying the steam punk background art), I would be very tempted to watch the show in its in world chronological "case" order rather than broadcast order.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:21 am Reply with quote
It was interesting to see the Marquis Horikawa (they definitely said kō 候 after his name, though translating it with Lord Horikawa for direct oral address is in accordance with my understanding of British customs) and the mention of the unequal treaties such as whatever the equivalent of the Anglo-Japanese Treaty of Amity and Commerce in this world was nice for history buffs, but I agree that the focus of this episode was the personal drama with Chise. Not every such detail has to be discussed in a review; though it gives some motivation for the Japanese side in future episodes, it may not be necessary for viewers to really understand.
PFdaCIA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:44 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
PFdaCIA wrote:
You are completely wrong! Absolutely wrong! First: the story is fictitious, but it works with real historical themes. In this case, it is not just the introduction of the character, it has an importance in addition. From the way the review is made, it just seems like a meaningless treatise, and a killer who "passed by" and then decided to kill a guy he did not like.

Boy, you're reading what you want into what I said.

No, I didn't go into explicit detail about why the treaty modifications were being sought, partly because a) the episode doesn't give us a lot of specifics on that, and b) it's not relevant to the main thrust of what's going on in the episode, which is Chise's introduction. Also, the intent of these reviews is to give an analysis, not a detailed play-by-play. If the treaty stuff becomes important in a future episode or a plot focal point then I'll bring it up then.

Quote:
The background of the story concerns an agreement between the Kingdom and Japan, an agreement that would be ratified because it already existed, ie bilateral ties would be brought up to date. This has to do with historical bilateral relations. In previous episodes there are hundreds of important details about the global consequences of the war between the Commonwealth and the Kingdom of Albion.

Then list out those hundreds. Seriously! You're assuming an awful lot more than what is actually shown, partly because you're assuming it follows actual history very closely even though there's not a lot of evidence to support that. While I might have missed or not given full weight to an odd detail here or there, I seriously doubt that I've missed "hundreds" of such details.

Quote:
I say this, because Animenewsnetwork reviewers often act very badly on the original series.

Other examples? Again, seriously! If you're going to make blanket accusations like this then be prepared to back them up with specifics.

I'm sorry, but you again ignore all the information I brought, and dismiss as not being convenient. Well, but I will not force you to see the facts. If you see that the details of the episode I mentioned are in the future, then we expect you to address it. Have a good time! About what you said about the bad faith of the reviewers: I brought history details, and were ignored, will I be heard about the reviewers' practice on the site?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:17 am Reply with quote
PFdaCIA wrote:
About what you said about the bad faith of the reviewers: I brought history details, and were ignored, will I be heard about the reviewers' practice on the site?

I don't know, since you haven't provided anything more than vague accusations on that. (And you didn't provide much on the other matter, either.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NonsenseUser

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote
This continues to be a really fun show and definitely one of the tops of the season for me. I knew during episode 1 I would like Chise and her official introduction here just sealed the deal. And what a fantastic fight scene that was as well! I look forward to seeing more from her.

Hikaru Suzuhara wrote:
Next Princess Principal - Episode 6 "Case 18 Rouge Morgue"

Source: They announce the next episode's case number and title on http://lantis-net.com/pripri-radio/ which releases new installments shortly after the latest episode airs in Japan each week.

Interesting...I wonder if they're anticipating a season 2 or if, as someone else speculated, they'll just be skipping some cases.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Studio 3Hz once again delivers an impressive performance for a young and seemingly tiny studio. Their Japanese Wiki page lists only four people, Tachibana Masaki, the director of this show, Barakamon, and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Koichi Arai, a key animator with a list of credits as long as your arm, and two others. I wonder if they actually have any staff, or if they largely manage free-lancers. The Wiki page lists 3Hz in the field of "planning and production of animation."

I hope the cash from overseas investors like Sentai and Amazon keeps this talented bunch going. Flip Flappers averaged fewer than 900 copies per release. Princess Principal might have more mainstream (and male) appeal. I've been impressed with the number of excellent original anime productions we've seen in the past couple of years like these two, Re:Creators, Shingeki no Bahamut, SHIROBAKO, Sakura Quest, Little Witch Academia, and Yuri!!! on ICE. I just worry whether "boutique" studios like 3Hz can survive.
PFdaCIA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:06 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Studio 3Hz once again delivers an impressive performance for a young and seemingly tiny studio. Their Japanese Wiki page lists only four people, Tachibana Masaki, the director of this show, Barakamon, and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Koichi Arai, a key animator with a list of credits as long as your arm, and two others. I wonder if they actually have any staff, or if they largely manage free-lancers. The Wiki page lists 3Hz in the field of "planning and production of animation."

I hope the cash from overseas investors like Sentai and Amazon keeps this talented bunch going. Flip Flappers averaged fewer than 900 copies per release. Princess Principal might have more mainstream (and male) appeal. I've been impressed with the number of excellent original anime productions we've seen in the past couple of years like these two, Re:Creators, Shingeki no Bahamut, SHIROBAKO, Sakura Quest, Little Witch Academia, and Yuri!!! on ICE. I just worry whether "boutique" studios like 3Hz can survive.

Masaki Tachibana was co-founder of Kinema Citrus studio, responsible for Made in Abyss. He [Tachibana] along with Muneki Ogasawara and Yuchiro Matsuka founded Kinema Citrus; Koichi Arai is mentioned in the Japanese wiki, but I'm not sure if he really became a CEO of the studio, because not even in the records of his works does he appear as having participated in the studio's productions. It may be that he may be a shareholder, but not a producer in fact. At least it looks like this, but I may be wrong. On the other hand, after the founding of the studio Matsuka apparently wanted to do something completely different from Ogasawara, then in 2013 he separated from the studio that he himself helped found, Kinema Citrus, and founded his own studio, the 3Hz studio. Ogasawara and Tchibana were former employees of Production I.G Matsuka was a former Bandai producer and apparently had strong ties to Bones studio.

Although it was small, Kinema Citrus had some animators named in the industry, and they are recognized. After the split between Matsuka and Ogasawara, Matsuka [3hz] brought some animators from the Kinema Citrus studio, which left the studio somewhat weakened, as some entertainers are really quite talented, for example: Atsuko Nozaki, Yukie Akiya, Ripa, China , Are some good animators of the studio. To make matters worse for Kinema Citrus, Masaki Tachibana, one of the founders was also gone; He who is director of Princess Principal, and also an animator, has now become a freelancer in the industry. Even so, it has good ties to Kinema Citrus, as well as Production I.G and 3Hz. These small studios can survive by doing Key Animation for other studios. If the big studios trust their talents, they will have work, regardless of their own works. It is a problem for a small studio to survive, although it is not uncommon for large studios to go bankrupt first rather than a small studio, because of mismanagement. Artland and Mangoble are good examples, which is a shame.

The studio will continue to be maintained, only it is not foreseeable that it will do hundreds of works all year. It may be funny [or strange] what I'm going to say, but, studios like Dogakobo, was basically what 3Hz at that early work in the industry. Dogakobo is a very old studio without many relevant old works. The studio, according to the Wiki was founded in 1973, but only started to have a bit of notoriety in the 2000s. Probably from 73 to 2000 the studio only did Key Animation, and a few original productions.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Yup, another quality and engaging episode here this week. I felt really sad for Dorothy this episode and I can now safely say that she is my favorite character of the series thus far, although personally, I feel like Chise is definitely making a case for herself to be pretty good as well. One thing I thought I would bring up is that with this whole series currently being shown in non-chronological order, I feel like a rewatching in chronological succession is in order for me after the series finishes airing. It would be very likely to happen if the show continues to bring us enjoyable episodes and see if that method is, at all, any better than this one.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 of Princes Principal has easily been the best of whole show so far. After the the first few episodes I sort of concluded that the best thing about this anime were going to be its highly polished production values, atmosphere and bad ass attitude. I did not have much hopes about the writing being actually good, but episode 6 showed that the writing, especially characterization, could be better than I expected.

It was a delight to watch an episode focusing on Dorothy, who has quickly become my favorite character from Pripri. At its midpoint this show continues to be my favorite of this season, and hopefully things continue to get better.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I think getting behind on shows really brings out which shows you most enjoy. I've been behind on anime this weekend due to attending Otakon, and one of the first shows I watched after coming back last evening was in fact this show, and this episode definitely warranted it. It was always entertaining but I've been surprised by how good it has been, considering some of the writer's prior work. I didn't have high expectations but especially after this episode, I will say definitively that this show is genuinely one of the best of the season, something I didn't expect to be saying at the beginning.
1idd0kun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So yeah, even though there's not much of an overarching story yet, I'll take more of this quality any day

The problem with the lack of progression on the overarching plot is that it leaves Princess in the side lines doing nothing. It's a shame as she looked like an interesting character to explore and develop but the show hasn't done much with her.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
1idd0kun wrote:
The problem with the lack of progression on the overarching plot is that it leaves Princess in the side lines doing nothing. It's a shame as she looked like an interesting character to explore and develop but the show hasn't done much with her.

To me having Princess being mostly in the sidelines is a good idea because she is aiming to be queen, and it would not a good idea for her to be front and center with the other spies. That would put her in physical danger and her political enemies could use that against her. Having princess working in the shadows and using the royal influence she has is more beneficial for the other spies. Ange has smartly pointed out that having Princess in the field is dangerous.
1idd0kun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
1idd0kun wrote:

To me having Princess being mostly in the sidelines is a good idea because she is aiming to be queen, and it would not a good idea for her to be front and center with the other spies.

Maybe it makes sense, but it's not a good idea character-wise, since she doesn't get any attention and development. She's just there doing nothing for the most part. I'd prefer if the writers came up with a way to integrate her into the team better. They tried a bit in episode 4 but that's about it. Right now she feels like a waste of potential.

Last edited by 1idd0kun on Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7