• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kingdom Hearts III to Have 2nd Playable Character, Possible Switch Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:39 am Reply with quote
It depends on your definition of "side game" (Birth by Sleep and 3D are both considered main titles), but the quick list is this:

Birth by Sleep:
Castle of Dreams
Deep Space
Dwarf Woodlands
Enchanted Domain

3D:
Country of the Musketeers
La Cite des Cloches
Symphony of Sorcery
Prankster's Paradise
The Grid

I'll go more in-depth after work.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:35 am Reply with quote
Huh, that's actually pretty confusing. I thought I, II, and III are the only main series games and that all the others were side games even if they introduce essential story elements. But thanks for the list. What defines a main game in the Kingdom Hearts series?

(I think the only video game series I follow where it's not completely obvious what's a main game and a side game is Sonic. But one of the few things the fans mostly agree upon is a very strict definition of main games, it being major, high-profile release that are platform games and were promoted heavily prior to release. For instance, Sonic Rush is a side game, but the 3DS version of Sonic Generations is a main game despite having nearly exactly the same gameplay and mechanics because the former is a minor release and the latter is a major release.)

I guess the reason why we haven't had a Frozen chapter in a Kingdom Hearts game yet is its newness--I know Dream Drop Distance has been out for some time, and I'd guess they didn't have time to put one in there at the time.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:
KH3D's secret ending already made a huge deal about Kairi learning to use that Keyblade she only used for exactly one scene in KH2.

DDD didn't do anything. She was asked a simple question and fans made a deal about something they assumed, which would be confirmed nearly 5 years later. Nomura didn't even make a huge deal about it in the DDD interviews.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Couldn't be anymore foolish than making a bunch of spinoff titles that screws up the lore....or Kingdom Hearts 3 somehow missing the PS3.

And what are the names of these spin-off titles, especially the one's that screw up the lore? Can't work on KH3 when your dev team is working on another game in development hell because management kept taking them to work on the game that has Toriyama's waifu in it (which is one of a number of games).

leafy sea dragon wrote:
What defines a main game in the Kingdom Hearts series?

Getting this out the way. All the games are important (though, the only game Tetsuya Nomura said that could be skipped is Chain of Memories because it was thought of after KH2 and he was originally going to leave the gap between 1 and 2 unexplained.).

Now I will explain from the beginning of the series to now what a main game is.

2002 - 2005 (or 07 since Final Mix):

KH1 and 2 are what define a numbered/main game. It is on home consoles (PS2). Sora is the main protagonist. The plot moves greatly instead of being stuck in one place (Chain of Memories). The game ends up with a Final Mix version (definitive version meaning new scenes/bosses/etc.).

2007 - 2010 (or 11):

Birth by Sleep is a numbered/main title game on par with 1 and 2. It was called Episode 0 during it's release. It is not numbered in the title because Sora is not the main protagonist and it is before his time. Sora was the prototype protagonist for the game. The game was originally for the PS2, but Re:Chain of Memories delayed it and the team had no HD experience (PS3) so the PSP was the only choice. It has a Final Mix version (and it is stated as 0 inside the game).

Note: Nomura said he wouldn't go further into the past.

2012 - 2014:

Dream Drop Distance is a main game (notice no number) because of the importance of its plot. The first classified "main game" on Nintendo handhelds. It does not move the plot enough to be a numbered title like 1, 2, BBS (0). Despite what he's said, in his Nomura's head canon, he thinks of it as KH3 part 1.

X[chi] is released. It takes place further into the past.

2015 - current:

In relation to the collections: In 2.8, X is now 0 with BBS being moved to 0.1. DDD is 2.6. 0.2 is KH3's prologue, but was taken out due to the increased content in KH3 so it is the same status as KH3.

Summary:

Numbered/Main game: 1, 2, BBS (0 - 0.1), KH3 (Includes 0.2).
Main game: DDD.
Important games (but since they are on handhelds, especially Nintendo, they will be called spin-offs by people): Everything else.
The only skippable game, but still important as stated by Nomura: Chain of Memories.
Not important: Anything made specifically by Disney. Also, Kingdom Hearts mobile (the only real spin-off in the series.

I saw your other comments, but I'm too lazy now to explain considering the length of this post. Hopefully, someone who reads KH interviews like I do can explain how the process works and how involved Disney really is (It's developed by SE for a reason).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I see. The qualification for it to be a main game is that it has one or more story points necessary to fully understand the characters, the conflict, and the world, I take it then? I didn't realize so many would be so important. I thought more of them would be the equivalent to filler.

You can't just go from I to II and presumably straight to III and get at least a basic knowledge of the story, can you?
Vizo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I would definitely buy a switch for KH3.Very Happy
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:

And what are the names of these spin-off titles, especially the one's that screw up the lore?

Pretty much anything that was released that wasn't the first or second KH games prequels, interquels, the whole nine yards that virtually no one asked for.

KH91 wrote:
Can't work on KH3 when your dev team is working on another game in development hell because management kept taking them to work on the game that has Toriyama's waifu in it (which is one of a number of games).

Final Fantasy XIII? Cause if that's the case the onus for that would also be on Square wouldn't it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2