• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS Licenses Studio Ghibli's Full Catalog for Blu-ray/DVD Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spoofer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
IIRC, Disney's Pom Poko BD was dubtitled, whereas the DVD in the same release was properly subbed. I bought the Miyazaki Collection for the fixed subs on Castle, Kiki (well, the Streamline dubtitles are far better than the Disney dubtitles, anyway), and Mononoke, so if GKids uses the existing proper sub script for Pom Poko then I'll almost be set with properly translated Ghibli films in R1 (especially if they redo Kiki's, which is doubtful).

Last time I spot-checked Grave of the Fireflies, the sub and dub matched quite often as well, but my Japanese isn't good enough to tell if the dub was just very accurate to the original sub script, or if it's an issue of partial dubtitles as well. =/ Either way, it's the same sub script that's existed since the first DVD release here, and GKids won't be handling it, so it's not like there are any other R1 alternatives.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5