• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Love and Lies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote
I think you are putting a bit too much on the just fine thing and getting into a lesser college from social stigma. He might never find a job in the field he wants. Maybe just the treating it like nothing since I have been going through a long period of trying to get a job and worrying about every credential I can put forward that could effect how likely I am to get a call back. And Japan can be even stranger.

But even more, I think it may be important to consider the real context of that scene, who the characters in the scene are. And the one saying it was Nisaka, the guy who has a crush on his friend but seems to try and steer away from it, often being more dismissive than we know he should be feeling. The reason being, he is afraid that there would be no reason to not put his feelings he has to Hikari out and confess to him, something that would likely end up having him rejected and maybe change their relationship. It seems clear that Nisaka has been repeating those things to convince himself to hold his feelings. And it is clear that Ririka being kind of extra sensitive might be more convinced by the argument put forward.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:12 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I think you are putting a bit too much on the just fine thing and getting into a lesser college from social stigma. He might never find a job in the field he wants. Maybe just the treating it like nothing since I have been going through a long period of trying to get a job and worrying about every credential I can put forward that could effect how likely I am to get a call back. And Japan can be even stranger.

But even more, I think it may be important to consider the real context of that scene, who the characters in the scene are. And the one saying it was Nisaka, the guy who has a crush on his friend but seems to try and steer away from it, often being more dismissive than we know he should be feeling. The reason being, he is afraid that there would be no reason to not put his feelings he has to Hikari out and confess to him, something that would likely end up having him rejected and maybe change their relationship. It seems clear that Nisaka has been repeating those things to convince himself to hold his feelings. And it is clear that Ririka being kind of extra sensitive might be more convinced by the argument put forward.

Yeah, it seems like Nisaka would rather Yukari marry Ririka since he "has" to and it's an arranged marriage than him ending up with the girl he loves. Perhaps he'll be less heartbroken/jealous if it's the arranged marriage rather than the love marriage? It makes sense.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:29 am Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
My theory is that the male official is her older brother, who for whatever reason has been estranged from the family or who she does not get along with.

Even if estranged, wouldn't he at least know where she lived? oO

I very nearly dropped this when the thought of watching episode 4 made me want to clean house instead. That's never a good sign. I managed to slog through 4 and 5, but right now Nisaka is the only one keeping me at all interested, and that's mostly curiosity about how he'll choose to deal with his unwinnable situation. I might have to just read the reviews to see if anything worth watching happens, because mostly this is putting me to sleep.

The nonstop piano during their long conversations is not helping. Neither is the uncanny resemblance, despite the gigantic eyes, of Yukari to Eiichirou from Baby Steps. It's really bugging me, since I don't like Yukari much and I adore Ei-chan. It feels like they're sullying his name somehow. Smile
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:18 pm Reply with quote
(In response to EP 6 review)
Man, I do agree this show has no idea what it wants to do in regards to tone. It can't decide whether it wants to be serious or whether it wants to be innocent, and it's really hurting the enjoyment. These last 2 episodes have been a rough watch.

Though I do very much disagree that the show needs to go the route of Scum's Wish or gtfo. Scum's Wish wasn't a critical or commercial success of an anime (outside of the reviewers here on ANN who just loved it) so it's not really fair to L&L to say it has to go that route if it wants to be a serious drama. It could contain the same amount of smut without all the self-loathing if the characters were written better. It just has to decide on giving its leads an actual personality outside of the plot requirements, which I definitely agree with you. Sadly I'm not too confident it's going to pull out anything amazing in its second half, but I don't know how much more of episodes like 5 and 6 I can take.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:20 am Reply with quote
I think this episode was definitely the strongest so far. And I really like the worldbuilding and stuff like that, and how it is being executed here.

One thing I've noticed in my reactions to anime is that I tend to really like things that other people complain "don't know what they want to be."

I guess I would say instead that L&L is successfully doing a lot of different kinds of things at once and inhabiting different moods. That's the kind of stuff I really like.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
They need to explore whatever Misaki's deal is (her "lie" and who she is matched with - what's going on with the other dude and her, etc.) soon or else this show is going to get a little boring. I think we just don't know much about her yet because she's been holding back due to the situation.

I was also wondering what happens to infertile or disabled people in this system - it seems like it would end up being discriminatory - like, do they not get matched? They would presumably be allowed to marry other not-matched people, right?
ditto526

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote
OK, For some reason my last reply didn't take, so i will try again, do we really need to see how this is going to end, most of this type Anime starts with boy liking girl #1, then girl#2 comes along and now boy now has feeling for girl #2 and they end up together, really, how often does the main character, get the one that they liked in the beginning, i have not read the manga and have only watch the first 4 episodes and to me looks like that is how it might go, i will wait until the series completes and watch the last episode and if i like it, i will go back watch the rest of the series, some might complain that this is not how one should watch it, but too many times i have invested my time into a show and only to be disappointed with the ending, but maybe this one will surprise me.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Gina Szanboti"]
Melicans wrote:
Neither is the uncanny resemblance, despite the gigantic eyes, of Yukari to Eiichirou from Baby Steps. It's really bugging me, since I don't like Yukari much and I adore Ei-chan. It feels like they're sullying his name somehow. :)
I haven't seen a single second of this show, but I've thought this from the moment I saw him on a key visual.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:17 am Reply with quote
I totally agree that this show is starting to take its dumb premise too seriously to enjoy. It probably would have been more interesting if it had stayed more trashy and focused on these teens "hooking up" with the wrong (or right) people and then feeling guilty - there actually being a risk of getting in trouble with the government for doing so, etc.
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:08 am Reply with quote
As a lesbian trans woman this series never held appeal because like I don't need a hypothetical future I am living in one where society pushes me down for my romantic feelings
Miguel Angel Garcia Owen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:35 am Reply with quote
The main problem in Love and Lies is having to deal with Yukari ans Misaki as main characters where Lilina is by far the best character in the series; if this series was from Lilinas POV it would have been a lot better... AND we wouldn't have to beat with the ereaser bs
NobodysDawn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:45 am Reply with quote
Anyone else remember the glitchy notification with Misaki's name Yukari received in the first episode? No? That's okay; I don't think the writers do either.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Your last paragraph for episode 8 is EXACTLY how I feel about this show. Jeez, what a train wreck. I honestly really don't like anyone in Love and Lies other than Ririna and the most tragic thing about it all is that she is forced to exist in such an awful show. I'm tempted to finish this only because I'm curious how bad the show will get and what it will eventually have to say, but I don't know if it's worth it at this point.

jenthehen wrote:
They need to explore whatever Misaki's deal is (her "lie" and who she is matched with - what's going on with the other dude and her, etc.) soon or else this show is going to get a little boring. I think we just don't know much about her yet because she's been holding back due to the situation.

I was also wondering what happens to infertile or disabled people in this system - it seems like it would end up being discriminatory - like, do they not get matched? They would presumably be allowed to marry other not-matched people, right?

Sorry if it's been mentioned before, I didn't read most of the thread yet, but this is just one of many many holes in the whole premise. Bouncing off of your first part, I have this weird feeling that Nisaka and Misaki are matched. Obviously he's gay(maybe bi, but I doubt it), so what the hell do they do with people of non-hetero sexuality? Are you going to force them to be together and to procreate?? Maybe my understanding of human rights is skewed, but that seems like a pretty extreme violation of them to me.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
GEEEEEEEEZE that was a rough episode. I'm usually a sucker for innocent(?) romance, but Ep 8 was just unbearable. Yukari just elicits violent emotions in me and Misaki has the depth of a piece of paper. It doesn't help that the animation was also distractedly bad.

Now the real question: to just finish out the next 5 weeks of watching to see how it train wrecks? Or drop it while it's not so hot.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it was that bad. I'm personally still kinda enjoying this show. I still find Misaki to be a pretty boring character but I'm otherwise enjoying most of the drama bits and character interactions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4