• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Love and Lies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pelfmiester

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
It seems to me like the Yukari Law was accepted by society and not rebelled against or whatever is because it actually works. All the couples we've seen in the series have been happy with their partners. Even Yukari and Ririna, while against it at first, are now clearly falling for each other.

And it seems that it is not nearly as forced as initial impressions and assumptions, with people assuming jail time or whatever. It turns out it's more society looking bad at the people turning their partners down than the government actually forcing it.

The series is still acting like the Yukari System is a bad thing and going for a Yukari and Misaki end, but it's kind of lost that initial feeling/purpose with the viewers.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:34 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I don't think it was that bad. I'm personally still kinda enjoying this show. I still find Misaki to be a pretty boring character but I'm otherwise enjoying most of the drama bits and character interactions.

I'm in agreement with Cam0 here; don't know why people are hating on this series so much.....?
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:43 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

I'm in agreement with Cam0 here; don't know why people are hating on this series so much.....?

Not trying to be rude, but did you... uh... read the comments in this thread... or read the reviews? Cause that might clear some stuff up for ya...
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:19 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

Not trying to be rude, but did you... uh... read the comments in this thread... or read the reviews? Cause that might clear some stuff up for ya...

Well yes, but aside from Yukari and Misaki being boring characters, I don't really agree with anything else James said. We are completely different pages, basically. It doesn't clear up anything.
Kenshino Kenmura

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I just love to see them talk on how much they hate this series. I personally love this show, I can't get why ANN hates it so much, or more be it the person reviewing this show. If you don't the problem thru the point of view of this world, you will be like "Its dumb that they don't know what love is" or "If I was the main character I would...", in this world love is decided for you basically without your consent and they have been thought since they where young that what the government says is right. If you lived in that world then you would understand this point already. The show shows "forbidden love" that they can't comprehend because they rely don't know how to handle this, they can't really talk about it to other people, now can they? Every time I see a new article of Love and Lies I see a hater that doesn't really understand the story and feels the need to bad mouth it just so they don't feel alone.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Congrats for making it through another bottom of the bucket show Mr. Beckett. I look forward to reading about whatever tripe you take on next season. I mean this sincerely, the trashy shows can be just as fun as the good ones.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, Kenshiro, but James isn't the only one legitimately disappointed with this series and it has nothing to do with not understanding what it's all about. I stuck with the series until the end because I kept hoping that it would do something interesting with the characters and/or develop further the interesting premise upon which their world is based. But nope, that was one big wishy-washy fizzle-out at the end there. I couldn't help but saying "that's it?" at he end and wishing that Yukari had boldly proclaimed that he was going to marry both of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Grendel8
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I made the exact same comment when it finished. "That's it?!?" What a waste of time. I have only myself to blame for sticking with this series until the very end. So very disappointed with this series. I need to go and re-watch Princess Principal, Made in Abyss, Re:Creators, or something to get the disappointment out of me.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:29 pm Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:
Congrats for making it through another bottom of the bucket show Mr. Beckett. I look forward to reading about whatever tripe you take on next season. I mean this sincerely, the trashy shows can be just as fun as the good ones.

Thanks! I always enjoy getting to review some of the less well received shows of the season; they often present the very fun challenge of figuring out how exactly to write about them from week to week. I don't know if I've managed to be a hundered percent successful at this, but it's always pretty rewarding in either case.

Key wrote:
I couldn't help but saying "that's it?" at he end and wishing that Yukari had boldly proclaimed that he was going to marry both of them.

TBH, I've always thought that a society running on this insane love-matching system would encourage polygamy, so long as it leads to more babies. One has to imagine that there are enough fertile, genetically advantaged young men that this goverment would want spreading their seed as much as possible. It would at least make for a more interesting story.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Love & Lies has many problems, and most stem from the piss poor story of the source manga. I can't help feel like the anime was doomed from the start, coming off such a weakly-written manga. (Ugh, the whole "I fell in love with you because of an eraser" nonsense was just painful every time it was brought up.)

I only watched it because of three reasons: I liked the female character designs; the social engineering angle had some (completely squandered) promise; Ririna was an awesome character who didn't deserve to be in this dreck.

There's a female-orientated live action movie coming out next month, with one girl and two boys in the love triangle. No doubt that will be awful too.
Alan Thong

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
just tell me that this anime series and what i watched was a lie Embarassed
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Reading these every week after dropping it at week 8 made me more and more confident in my decision. This was actually quite entertaining for a time, but around episode 6, I started to lose interest because even while the show was incredibly absurd from the get-go, and continued to prove its incompetence week after week, that's when it just got tired and boring. It was not going anywhere. And, to be honest, I actually enjoyed Ririna as a character enough that it really made the incompetence in every other aspect of the show that much worse. It's a shame when a show sucks, most of the time. But this could've at least been entertaining. I'm glad I didn't stick with it through these last 4 episodes. If he had chosen one of them definitively, particularly if it had been Ririna, I would've maybe decided to pick it back up. Oh well. Sad
Van the Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:16 am Reply with quote
Part of me only got past episode one because I was hoping, based on the premise, that it would end with a historic style shinjuu. The bright side of this ending is that I can still imagine that that's what comes after it.
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:42 am Reply with quote
While I didn't quite hate this show as much as some commenters here, I can't deny feeling a huge sense of disappointment. Yuusuke turned out to be a pointless character, which is ironic because he actually had the most potential out of all of them. Misaki ended up being a huge drain on the story; I was hoping Nejima would finally tell her no, set her free and let her heal. But no, he just kept stringing her along, which is almost cruel if you think about it.

And that faux-harem non-ending was total BS, mostly because Misaki is still gonna get an assigned husband eventually. But nah, fudge that guy, amirite? Rolling Eyes (EDIT: LMAO @ this auto-edit Laughing) Actually, that'd have been an interesting development. Idea
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:29 am Reply with quote
I think the average rating of 1.8 and a grade of D for the last week of the show was quite generous. I loved the concept of the show and picked it up from the start; first episode in and I was like, umm ok. By the second episode, I just shook my head, but thought that it's early, surely something will happen despite the terrible pacing, story, premise, and terrible art. I still have no idea why I kept watching this drek; perhaps because I expected something great was right around the corner that never came. I think it's time for me to re-watch Chaos;head to get the bad taste out of my mouth.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4