• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Restaurant to Another World

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quote
It was a very cute bra, too. A matching set with her panties, black with a colorful design on them~ pretty much as unsexy as you're likely to find in teenage girl sizes, too. It looked a little bit like a sports bra, to me; much like her chemise, easy enough to fudge the size of if you only have a guess for their size.

Though perhaps he asked Aletta or one of his female regulars to measure? It wouldn't be hard to convert the measurements from other world to centimeters. All you'd need is a known length.

Though also, it appeared as though Aletta may work the whole day, rather than just the overnight that Nekoya is open? Maybe he took her shopping.

(I may misunderstand that part, but it seemed like in Nekoya time its Saturday night through Sunday morning that they're open for the Other World, while its all manners on times for the regulars)

Only semi-relatedly, watching this show makes me hungry, and I want to try all these dishes. ....maybe not the shrimp. Only a rare fan of seafood, and what I do eat is always heavily breaded and slathered in tartar sauce.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm with you, Rebecca, on how the episode plodded along through the middle. This series needs an injection of energy, and hopefully the elf newcomer will bring it. (Definitely interested to see how she ended up walking into the restaurant naked.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:44 am Reply with quote
Kendra Kirai wrote:
Though perhaps he asked Aletta or one of his female regulars to measure? It wouldn't be hard to convert the measurements from other world to centimeters. All you'd need is a known length.

I think the Chef just handed a measuring tape to Aletta and asked for her measurements. No need to inconvenience the customers. Razz

Kendra Kirai wrote:
Though also, it appeared as though Aletta may work the whole day, rather than just the overnight that Nekoya is open? Maybe he took her shopping.

(I may misunderstand that part, but it seemed like in Nekoya time its Saturday night through Sunday morning that they're open for the Other World, while its all manners on times for the regulars).

Ha, saying that finally cleared up how the cafe operates. That it only goes to the other world on Saturdays, not all week long. Though I'm not sure what Aletta does between Saturdays. Hopefully we get more insight into that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:08 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
I was discussing Ep6 elsewhere and someone noted that it was strange how Alette despite having to remember nearly a dozen orders never bothered to write them down or even find a notepad to try with.

I noticed that too, and understood it's because she can't read and probably can't write, but it also means that the chef has to remember all the orders too as she calls them out, so she seems kind of superfluous, except for handing out menus and delivering food.

I don't expect her to learn Japanese or the Eastern language, but the chef should at least work with her to teach her numbers as symbols of the menu items, so she could write those down and give them to him. It would help them both be more efficient.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:05 pm Reply with quote
While the girl being a dragon instead of an elf was a surprise, I'm surprise the reviewer didn't point out what I thought was glaring incompetence.

Why did the admiral not leave out another door with someone else? Especially if he recognized the uniform one of the regulars was wearing, he could have just left with that guy. This had me totally flabbergasted for pretty much the whole episode.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:17 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
While the girl being a dragon instead of an elf was a surprise, I'm surprise the reviewer didn't point out what I thought was glaring incompetence.

Why did the admiral not leave out another door with someone else? Especially if he recognized the uniform one of the regulars was wearing, he could have just left with that guy. This had me totally flabbergasted for pretty much the whole episode.

The logical explanation would thus be 'that's not how it works'.

The door is clearly smart enough to not allow the vacuum of space through. Perhaps you only return through the door you entered to prevent people using it as a shortcut and, you know, not staying to eat?
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
Perhaps that's where this show went wrong

I keep finding myself thinking this every week, but why is it so important that we figure out where this show went wrong? Can't it just be that it hasn't gone wrong? The consistently good user scores seem to imply the average viewers are enjoying it just fine as it is. Can't it just be a show that is totally enjoyable based on its own merits, instead of this weird paradoxical thing where reviewers keep complaining that shows should quit relying on established tropes to entertain them with, then at the same time complain when shows don't try to entertain in exactly the way they're apparently looking for? Or, to put it simply, why is it so hard to say "this show just isn't quite fulfilling my personal tastes" instead of jumping straight to "there is something wrong with this show"?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Kendra Kirai wrote:

The logical explanation would thus be 'that's not how it works'.

The door is clearly smart enough to not allow the vacuum of space through. Perhaps you only return through the door you entered to prevent people using it as a shortcut and, you know, not staying to eat?

Even then, why didn't he just ask for rescue? I was expecting some explanation for this and was very surprised that there wasn't.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Even then, why didn't he just ask for rescue? I was expecting some explanation for this and was very surprised that there wasn't.

Unless he knew exactly where he was, it would be difficult to arrange a rescue. Though knowing he was alive at least wouldn't have hurt.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:17 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
meiam wrote:

Unless he knew exactly where he was, it would be difficult to arrange a rescue. Though knowing he was alive at least wouldn't have hurt.

Well he's a sailor, he should have been able to figure out his location based on star, could have asked for equipment (map/sextant).
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:33 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Well he's a sailor, he should have been able to figure out his location based on star, could have asked for equipment (map/sextant).

Well he was the admiral, so he may not have known how to do that part. Maybe if he were the navigator he might know, but I don't know that the captains would have known.

Also, AFAIK you can't return multiple times a day. If I'm not mistaken, the door disappears after they exit, so unless they had the equipment on hand, he could be SOL. Though they could arrange for them to bring it the next time they come.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:23 am Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
Perhaps that's where this show went wrong

I keep finding myself thinking this every week, but why is it so important that we figure out where this show went wrong? Can't it just be that it hasn't gone wrong? The consistently good user scores seem to imply the average viewers are enjoying it just fine as it is. Can't it just be a show that is totally enjoyable based on its own merits, instead of this weird paradoxical thing where reviewers keep complaining that shows should quit relying on established tropes to entertain them with, then at the same time complain when shows don't try to entertain in exactly the way they're apparently looking for? Or, to put it simply, why is it so hard to say "this show just isn't quite fulfilling my personal tastes" instead of jumping straight to "there is something wrong with this show"?

Yeah I keep having this same weird issue with the review each week. Rebecca keeps seeming to imply that the show is faltering in some way but I think it's going along perfectly fine in it's own happy little world.

The interactions work, the story makes sense it's not like plot threads are left hanging, it sounds like she's just not into the atmosphere and just wants this to be a different show.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
The thing is, I like the atmosphere. I like the characters and the premise, and I don't mind answering some of the world-building questions myself, like about the doors and who can go through to where. (I like the theory that perhaps if you're touching someone headed somewhere else, you may be able to accompany them.) So I can't quite figure out why the show as a whole isn't working for me. Confused
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Didn't the latest episode just show us that it doesn't matter which door you enter from? So far, it almost looks like the doors are set up so that you return home through the door you entered from. But that still doesn't answer my question of what happens if two people were to enter the restaurant from two different doors.

Damn it! Am I going to have to resort to the MST mantra?
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Didn't the latest episode just show us that it doesn't matter which door you enter from? So far, it almost looks like the doors are set up so that you return home through the door you entered from. But that still doesn't answer my question of what happens if two people were to enter the restaurant from two different doors.

Damn it! Am I going to have to resort to the MST mantra?

There's like eight people who use the doors, what are the odds of two of them using it at the same time, from two different doors?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8