• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Despite Shōnen Jump Controversy, the Magazine's Erotic Art History is Decades Old

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArnisEnthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:
Rolling Eyes Ironic how this thread turned out since half of the people in this thread would scream heresy if the cover of Shounen Jump had barely clothed muscular men on the cover instead of the typical almost-nude girls. Rolling Eyes

I mean, it's not like Shounen Jump's primary demographic is teenage boys....

That being said, I dislike fanservice in general and find it tasteless and bothersome, but it is what it is. It's not harming anyone, but it doesn't really enrich anything either.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:
Rolling Eyes Ironic how this thread turned out since half of the people in this thread would scream heresy if the cover of Shounen Jump had barely clothed muscular men on the cover instead of the typical almost-nude girls. Rolling Eyes

Would they, though? I might be wrong, but I don't think I've seen anyone on ANN complain about anything like that before. This is one of the more respectable anime news sites I've been on (even though it's not perfect) and, frankly, I haven't really seen anyone on any anime site ever actually complain about male nudity or near-nudity.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:

Nice blanket judgment & assumption there with not even 1 full page of posts before yours. How about you actually post on the topic instead of leaving pointless flamebait.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:

Two consecutive issues from like.. a month ago.

Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:37 pm Reply with quote
And yes, I know comparing male nudity to female nudity in something like JUMP is false equivalency. I'm just saying JUMP is actually not a stranger to some predominant beefcake once and a while.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:14 pm Reply with quote
That's exactly why this controversy's so ridiculous! Every generation's had at least one series or two serialized in Shonen Jump that was a bit bawdy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:
@Hoppy800, Shounen Jump is traditionally more of a teenager magazine (ages 10-18) than a "children's" magazine (ages 6-12). It's actually read a very wide range of people, from under 10's to over 60's years old. In it's peak circulation days in the 1990's it was read by a an estimated public of 20 million people. It's the most mainstream thing in the entire anime/manga world and hence the last thing I think we can call "otaku magazine".

Twenty million people? It was my understanding 1994 was the peak at 6.53 million.

However, each magazine was read on average by 3 people (Source: Adult Manga, Culture and Power in Comteporary Japanese Society). So 6.5 million magazines represented a reading public of about 20 million. Some people left the magazine on the subway and other people read it.

Also, back in the mid 90's Shounen Jump's weekly circulation of 6.5 million meant an annual circulation of about 300 million magazines each of about 430 pages long. So that single manga magazine was about 30 to 40 times the size of the American comic book industry at that time measured in number of printed pages. And 300 million magazines is about twice the number of movie tickets sold in Japan per year. Just to put things in perspective when someone says "only nerds read it". Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:19 am Reply with quote
GlassesMan wrote:
That goes only so far though. There are some contexts that should be more child friendly. There's a reason more explicit shows air after 10:00. Having said that, I honestly don't think the fanservice is too offensive, but the lucky sukebe trope it draws off of is a problem.

I would agree. I think "lucky sukebe" has worse implications than the perv of earlier decades. Pervs like Roshi and the like actively seek out panty views and such, meaning the consequences they face are their own and such behavior is never depicted flatteringly. The "lucky sukebe," however, is completely passive and just happens to be at the (in)appropriate time and place and is sometimes even annoyed by it all. In these instances, the guy winds up being the innocent one according to the narrative, as he never intended any harm or disrespect. It also suggests that looking up a girl's skirt or squeezing a girl's breasts is okay as long as it's accidental...no matter how many times it keeps happening.
Sobe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:24 am Reply with quote
ArnisEnthusiast wrote:
Sobe wrote:

That being said, I dislike fanservice in general and find it tasteless and bothersome, but it is what it is. It's not harming anyone, but it doesn't really enrich anything either.

Heterosexuality isn't the only sexual orientation for teenage boys regardless of country and language.

Mr Adventure wrote:
Sobe wrote:

Two consecutive issues from like.. a month ago.

I don't see them in nothing but their underwear. They're just shirtless in comparison to the females on the covers who are basically nude with only slivers of hair or clothing covering censored parts.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:32 am Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:
I don't see them in nothing but their underwear. They're just shirtless in comparison to the females on the covers who are basically nude with only slivers of hair or clothing covering censored parts.

It's not quite the same, but the Dr. Stone characters ARE completely nude except for the stone casing they're breaking out from.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:06 am Reply with quote
>Until the 1990s, women's breasts also appeared on primetime television in Japan.

More like the 2000s.

Source: Was in Japan in the 2000s, saw titties.
ArnisEnthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:08 am Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:
ArnisEnthusiast wrote:
Sobe wrote:

Heterosexuality isn't the only sexual orientation for teenage boys regardless of country and language.

It's almost as if magazines pander to the largest group possible in their demographic. I honestly don't know what you're expecting, but a magazine in a conservative country whose demographic is teenage boys (you know, the ones that tend to shrink from anything gay) of all things just isn't going to have things marketing towards lgbt folks.

But more on your point, could you please direct me to a SJ cover (not a color page or insert) that has almost-nude girls? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought SJ kept that stuff off the cover.
Desa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:47 am Reply with quote
Odd, I can't think of anything that embodies "Friendship, Effort, Victory." more so than a healthy sexual romp.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Until the 1990s, women's breasts also appeared on primetime television in Japan.
Countries in the west need to adopt this.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
>Until the 1990s, women's breasts also appeared on primetime television in Japan.

More like the 2000s.

Source: Was in Japan in the 2000s, saw titties.

Watching older sentai and Ramen Rider and seeing naked underage girls sure was a thing Laughing Closest we get today is a handbra in Goseiger or ToQger. Nowadays we got to wait for their actresses to release a gravure DVD. Animewise, Magi had blue genie nipples, but were more likely to get boobs with no nipples like in One Piece and Sket Dance
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4