• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: New Game!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I loved the smug look that Hajime gave Aoba and Yun once she realized she just had to stand around and look cute rather than play tsundere maid or moe maid like they did.

I think she just had to stand straight, I was kind of expecting for the director to say "You have talent so you don't need to say anything" (would have been a reference to a well known scene of Sailor Jupiter in the Sailor Moon english dub). Also, the scene where the director was on the floor bleeding to death was so absurd it managed to make me lol.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:17 am Reply with quote
Well I was kind of in the camp thinking that "this probably could count as harassment". But in the end it was kind of the case that these adult women were silly enough to go along with their boss they should know could act like this. Hifumi's dirty look was pretty funny, not the case of costumes because we know that she enjoys cosplay. Umiko's interruption also great in how she usually jumps into the director's acts.

I also appreciated Hifumi jumping into try and have Momo interact a bit. And I kind of found it hilarious when Hifumi came in with Mozuku with a bit how he is the boss or something, but they already managed to help with her. That cat is just the best.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:00 am Reply with quote
Hifumi has been a true delight this season. It's been great watching her struggle against her social anxiety. It was so cute how she kind of bonded with Momo over their mutual discomfort over going to the cafeteria. The old Hifumi wouldn't even have bothered approaching Momo. Showing her pictures of her hedgehog - adorable. It was almost a bit poignant when she came in to "introduce" the cat to Momo only to find out that Momo had gone to the cafeteria. I really hope Hifumi works up the courage to go there, too, one of these days (er, assuming The Director isn't putting on another one of her weird cosplay shows, of course).
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote
First off I love the Hajime and Yun segment, it's fun to see them as their past selves, since Aoba was fresh out of Highschool it's nice to learn what other employees were like back at that stage of life.

And I also liked this episode cause now anime watchers will know what manga readers were saying about Naru not being what she seems, she's that person in the office everyone kinda hates, the elitist newbie who's just out of school and thinks they know everything.

While Naru isn't wrong about networking playing apart in Nene's hiring it's wrong to admonish her for it. Networking is part of job hunting, it's something a lot of employees look for and there's a widely successful website called Linkdin that was made just for that purpose. Someone on reddit also noted how silly it is for Naru to be critical of Nene networking when the whole point of an internship (Which she is doing) is to get experience and make industry connections.

What makes the moment sting even more is two things, one she was friendly to Nene in the last episode which means she was either faking friendship or flips on you in a heart beat. AND she doesn't really have to seniority to be dropping that kind of shit on Nene, it be one thing if she was a seasoned employee who had been around for a few years and was saying "Hey don't take this lightly you only got this job because of Umiko". No she's a new employee who's already starting shit her first week or so at a new job, that doesn't sit well for office morale.

I don't know entirely where Naru and Nene's story goes since the manga available isn't much more than a few chapters away from this episode's content, but it wouldn't surprise me if New Game decides to pull a serious moment at the end of it and have Momo get to stay on post intern but Naru is let go due to her less than stellar attitude with her coworkers.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't crazy about the Naru x Nene rivalry, although it's manly due to it being undeveloped. I like Aoba rivalry a lot more since Aoba get that Momo see her as a rival but she's smart enough not to lower herself to her level and is still just trying to make sure she integrate properly into the team.

Otherwise the second section was just filler, which I guess makes sense if the anime almost caught up to the manga. Hopefully we don't have too much of that.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
the second section was also part of the manga, so it's not filler per se;

Quote:
This scene doesn't do much to expand on the established chemistry between the two girls;
dunno, it made them suddenyl feel gayer than any of the other "stablished" couples in the series.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else get the feeling that Ko might be leaving the company from this episode?
Marimo0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Treecko Tempo wrote:
Did anyone else get the feeling that Ko might be leaving the company from this episode?

No. Nothing about that exchange gave me the impression she had to or wanted to leave Eagle Jump. It was just a reflection on how Ko is now able to work with others, taking a more overall art leader role while others can take the sub-leader roles like character designer.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate the point that Umiko was basically on to Naru being two faced the entire time hence why she calls her a "Cat who always goes behind my back"

While I appreciate the attempt to redeem Naru this comment by /u/doki-co on the r/manga thread for this chapter sums up to me why it's also kinda dumb

Quote:

While I'm glad the arc is finally over, the resolution here feels a bit rushed and forced.

Naru ends up getting by based solely on skill, but where did she show any skill anywhere during her period of working there? The code she turned in was a buggy mess that barely ran. It was apparently so poorly optimized that even Nene could tell at a glance it could be vastly improved, so I can only imagine what it would have looked like to Umiko.

Her highly-praised speed was almost entirely a lie due to skipping key steps. Something that would normally be a near-fatal mistake for someone in her position.

She's really fast "if she doesn't error-check," so if she leaves that up to Nene and only does the code, they can fix everything real quick! But how does that even work? How can you fix a bug without checking to see if your fix worked, or was even the piece of code causing the bug? That doesn't seem like a realistic division of work for programmers.

Not to mention Naru being clearly shown bug-checking her code in chapter 59... (Though maybe she's just checking that it runs at all, not actually looking for bugs.)

Now I don't particularly want New Game to turn high drama, so it's not like I wanted a darker ending, but everything here seems really rushed and entirely too clean for what actually happened. There are no actual consequences, with an added "I knew it was going to be fine all along" at the end. It seems like one of the least realistic turns of events in the series so far.

Bug checking is rookie level stuff in programming, they teach that day one and beat it into your head a dozen times over so it's kinda dumb that they give her a pass on it.

And at the same time this feels a little out of character for Umiko, as someone who has been shown to be caring but also no nonesene when it comes to her job and the work of those under her it makes zero sense that she wouldn't have felt something was up with Naru's work or not have seen the issue earlier in production, it also doesn't feel like Umiko to basically give Naru enough rope to hang herself and then say later how she would have bailed her out had it gone south. It also hurts Hajime since she designed the mini games Naru made and this was her chance to stand out as well as an aspiring designer, yet none of those factors are mentioned or pointed out with how careless Naru acted here.

The Programmers story arc is fine, it just ends on a bit of a sloppy note.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Man, I just want to know who did the scene where Rin was clutching the watch Ko gave her. Good job, Artist Unknown!
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Well Naru is still a new hire, the idea is that she still has room to grow but has the basic potential for it. I don't know how hard/easy it is to fire and hire people in japan, but it might make sense to hire her rather than fire and try again with someone new, the idea being that she'll learn from her mistake.

Personally the point that would really make me consider not hiring her is more the fact that she tried to impress with speed rather than quality. Even if she though she could make those very fast without bug, its still imo wouldn't be very impressive next to turning in very polished version. Speed is easy to do, especially since the person can just work overtime to work "faster" (ie she work 60 hour in a 40 hour week to make it seems like she did 60 hour of work in 40 hour). But quality is hard to make, and its not always possible to work more to get better quality, it's a better judge of someone ability. Especially since if someone is always working in crunch mode that means when real crunch time show up they won't be able to deliver.

As far as Ko side of the story... meh I just don't care for Ko at all, so her leaving the company is fine by me. Which means that when they do the whole "Oh yes she's not leaving" I also won't really care.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I really, really liked the finale. It was emotional and left me with a great taste in my mouth. I was on the fence about adding the first and second season to my disc collection, but this second season convinced me that I need to own this show. Hopefully season 2 does well in Japan, and we get more anime content in the future.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this was pretty great. I think I'll buy both seasons now thanks to this as well. It also felt really conclusive, but there is definitely space for more if they want to make it. The canon yuri shipping was also pretty damn potent here. I didn't mind. Embarassed
aifhak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
I really liked that last episode as well. I was a bit surprised at first that the Rin+Kou scene came so early as that, for me, seemed like one of the more important, if not the most important things to tackle for the end given their relation. So seeing it thrown in there in the middle made we wonder if they're going to walk back on it or just do some (not necessarily lewd) service moments in a victorylap-kinda-episode.
A bit on a tangent but that's what the last episode of ReCreators felt to me for example.

But luckily they didn't do that here. Neither did they take back Kou's decision to move to France, nor did it feel like what came after aforementioned Kou+Rin scene was pointless at all. All in all a really great last episode for me.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:39 am Reply with quote
aifhak wrote:

But luckily they didn't do that here. Neither did they take back Kou's decision to move to France, nor did it feel like what came after aforementioned Kou+Rin scene was pointless at all. All in all a really great last episode for me.

I almost expected them to have Ko ask Rin to move with her. That would have been some nice icy on the cake. Works either way, but that would have been pretty special.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3