• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Elegant Yokai Apartment Life

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peebs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[In fact, his fatherly bond with Kuri might just end up playing a role in the ghost kid finding peace at some point in the future.]

*bawls like a baby* Must. Protect. Kuri. At. All. Costs. And Shiro, too.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Kuri is just too precious. Between the lethal cuteness of him sitting on Hase's lap and riding on Matajuro's shoulder, I'm a pathetic puddle of "dawwwww." If only little kids were actually like that. Very Happy

I think the best scene in this last ep was when he copied Hase and Yushi's crucifix pose on the floor.

Kiddo626

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:13 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I'm just imagining what Hase's reaction would've been had he been around to hear Kuri's backstory and see Kuri's undead mom. Dear lord, he'd have been so upset. Sad

But boy, did they really push the fujoshi pandering in last week's episode, with the whole "Hase's the dad, Yushi's the mom" bit. I gotta say, though, I fell for it hook, line, and sinker. Laughing
chaccide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why this show gets a C grade when it achieves when it sets out to do. It's animated decently, has some nice music, and the characters are more than one note and they do grow. It might not be full of angst and drama but I think of its goal as more something feel-good. To me it has more going for it than the restaurant show which is very static yet better received. I'm not saying it's the wonder if the year, but honestly reviews here don't seem to make as much sense to me as they used to.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering if "going beyond pleasant" would earn the show a better rating than a C, but Anne seems to be really hard to please. Wink

Jokes aside, i actually agree with the rating this week. The "horror" element didn't really work that well, same goes for Yushi's interactions with his classmates compared to his interactions with Hase or the yokai apartment residents. I understand that he needs to do something with his newly acquired powers, but i liked the calm SOL elements a lot better than this forced mystery...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I didn't mind the tonal shift last week, but this week felt a lot like they were spinning their wheels to end the season with this incident (I hate that they're calling this a "case" like he's Conan or something) and maybe a feel-good epilogue to cap things off.

I mean, we spent the whole episode on Yushi trying to get this done by himself, but it looks like next week he'll be rescued by the pros anyway, so I'm not sure what the point was.

Quote:
At this point, I'd be curious to see what the book's residents are up to when they aren't summoned by their master. They're obviously communicating with one another when he's not looking, so are they inhabiting some magical parallel world where they eat, drink, and read manga? Maybe an OVA could shed some light on the matter.

I'm up for that! Then again, the pages of the book are in contact, so maybe they're just chatting amongst themselves with their neighbors (kinda like the paintings in Hogwarts). It's not like they'd have to shout to be heard an inch or so away. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Regular folks like Yushi will have to get lost a bit.

I've always thought that unlimited choices or having no particular goals or direction can feel more like being lost than being free, so as a companion idea, I really liked "If you don't get lost, the world will remain small and won't grow." Smile

Other than that, there really wasn't much going on here, although I did enjoy Kuri mischievously scribbling in (on?) his third eye.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Hey, for $250 a month + board + free hot springs, I'd want to live there even without the waterfall!

That "Australian Chocolate" looked suspiciously like Cadbury. In which case I don't blame him for bringing back a bunch. That stuff is soo good (as is the UK version), especially compared to the cheap crap Hershey's puts out under their label in the US.

Lol at the birds howling at the moon. Ow-oooh- chirp!

There were a lot of new characters in the OP, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll bring to the table.
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:32 am Reply with quote
Why do I get the feeling that Hase has some major dad issues? That would explain why he dotes on Kuri so much.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In her very first lesson, she treats Yushi and friends to a rendition of Hamlet's famous monologue for reasons not entirely clear to me, given that their textbook is labeled "English Communication" and they're 15-year olds attending a Japanese business high school.

And it didn't exactly match the tone of what was written on the chalkboard either. Smile

I'm not sure I agree that they were being condescending about Yamamoto, given the context of her reading choices of which they were informed. The fact that she lets out dramatically exasperated sighs when her classmates don't understand or appreciate the creators she name-drops, and lets them know in no uncertain terms that they're all childishly ignorant philistines, suggests she's got other motives for her choices than simply liking their works. Isshiki even acknowledged that she probably wasn't just pretending to like them, but they obviously figure into other problems she's struggling with.

Did I miss the poll for streaming reviews again? Well, it was fun while it lasted. Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:04 am Reply with quote
Weirdly, I found the introduction of the girl in episode 15 who clearly smart but also into some things beyond what she might fully understand, and kind of wigging from others, was actually the first time I felt like there was a plot line that I was really interested in how it will go. I kind of felt along the lines that she needs to be told that she needs to be understanding of other people if she wants others to be understanding of her, that she might express some of what she is clearly invested in, but meet part way with people not as her. Like their club is partially about English, but also a social element of communication which she is clearly.

I was kind of particularly like the part where Yuushi told off Tashiro for acting stupid, because she kind of was, but Yamamoto mistook comments as directed at her, despite him trying to be more understanding to her.

I was also wondering if a class teaching English to Japanese students would be doing Shakespear. You are looking at some pretty antiquated word uses, that might not so much help actually with modern English. I remember doing some in high school, and really one of the major parts was some understanding of words not used much by using context.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Well the second half of the series wasn't as good as the first. I felt bad for Kuri in the finale since the oni terrified him and the poor kid was reduced to tears twice during the episode. Otherwise, I guess it was an okay ending, checking in on most of the people he'd interacted with.

Nothing really seemed to get resolved though. I suppose Yamamoto joining the teacher's sycophant groupies was her resolution, which was sort of disappointing, although I guess I get what they were after with those people finding their own satisfaction together, apart from the more "normal" friendships and groupings in the school.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2