• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kakegurui — Episodes 1-3

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yazu13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:53 am Reply with quote
Those OP/ED are pretty on point. I'm especially fond of the OP with its crazy jazz sound and hedonistic sexualism. The show is growing on me, though the mad spectacle they're going for is a little hard to swallow at times. I know it's supposed to be repulsive, but I at least hope the characters develop further down the line to even things out, because you can only have a story filled with nothing but repugnant rich kids taking advantage of each other for so long.

Also, why does that school allow this!? Shocked
hooliganj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Yazu13 wrote:
Those OP/ED are pretty on point. I'm especially fond of the OP with its crazy jazz sound and hedonistic sexualism.

I like both songs, and the OP is pretty good. The ED demonstrates a complete lack of subtlety that I haven't seen since Yuri Kuma Arashi.

Yazu13 wrote:
Also, why does that school allow this!? Shocked

They not only allow it, they seem to actively encourage it. The narration goes on at some length about the reasoning behind it all, but mostly it comes across as narrative convenience.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Come to think of it, if Kakegurui's being (p)reviewed by someone who watches Netflix Japan, will Fate/Apocrypha receive the same treatment?
Yazu13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
hooliganj wrote:
I like both songs, and the OP is pretty good. The ED demonstrates a complete lack of subtlety that I haven't seen since Yuri Kuma Arashi.

I like the energy of the ED, with it's flashing stage lights in sync with each other and the rain getting more and more violent. It does lack subtlety though, and despite the psycho-sexual themes of the show, panders to a decidedly more ecchi viewer. I can overlook this because it still works, but it's an industry trope that's killing me inside.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:37 pm Reply with quote
That's a very convenient way to stay current on new shows and not be waylaid by Netflix's season-long delay scheme here.

As for the show, it's a fun quick watch. There's zero depth but it looks great and is expertly paced, and beautiful girls everywhere. It's like a sex swapped Kaiji.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:44 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Come to think of it, if Kakegurui's being (p)reviewed by someone who watches Netflix Japan, will Fate/Apocrypha receive the same treatment?

There should be a review for Fate/Apocrypha soon.
nucl3earsnake

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
An asinine plot and nonstop ahegao faces but... no nudity, no sex! So its like every hentai ever minus the good bits. This is what hentai looks like in a dystopian future where only monogender anime exists and some clown is president of the U.S. Its a bad joke and still "one of the most interesting titles airing this season", and thats so sad.
3ngag3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:11 am Reply with quote
There is a manga called Gamble Fish that predates this series and it's literally the same thing, except the protagonist is a male.

Doesn't make it any less interesting or fun though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2