• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: In Another World With My Smartphone

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't expecting the disguises to fail. that was a nice little surprise
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
It was an okay episode and was rather funny at times. That the girls started getting competitive in the bicycle riding in order to impress Touya to the point where even the Duke was competing was a nice touch of absurd humor. About 90% of the time Smartphone feels like a harem comedy from the 1990's and I like that. The show even continues to drop bits of information about the Fraze which are apparently crystal beasts. Also Leen was in this episode and I am curious to see what she is planning.
Taifood

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:19 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
It was an okay episode and was rather funny at times. That the girls started getting competitive in the bicycle riding in order to impress Touya to the point where even the Duke was competing was a nice touch of absurd humor. About 90% of the time Smartphone feels like a harem comedy from the 1990's and I like that. The show even continues to drop bits of information about the Fraze which are apparently crystal beasts. Also Leen was in this episode and I am curious to see what she is planning.
This doesn't change the fact that this show is seriously boring me. It's been done ten billion times and I've been struggling to make it through each episode. I seem to be going "Oh well that was obviously going to happen" about every minute.

What a disappointment.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
he singlehandedly wipes out a whole army of zombie soldiers with a few screen-taps (told you they hadn't forgotten about the phone). Now I'm sure you're wondering why the artists crafting this masterpiece would pass up on the spectacle of a large-scale zombie battle

Well you did complain the phone wasn't being used enough :p

Quote:
Leen finally gets to do something besides just function as Touya's DLC shop. Using one of her own spells for once, she turns her and Touya invisible (why Tsubaki can't be included isn't explained)

They needed her to get through the gates.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Leen is interested in women which makes sense using anime harem logic. After all what other reason could possibly explain why Leen wasn't jealous when other women were around Touya? It has more fanservice but Smartphone is so close to being a 1990's harem comedy.

Taifood wrote:
This doesn't change the fact that this show is seriously boring me. It's been done ten billion times and I've been struggling to make it through each episode. I seem to be going "Oh well that was obviously going to happen" about every minute.
I enjoy Smartphone due to nostalgia and because it is pure undiluted wish fulfillment. There are certain things I wish the show didn't do but I usually find it entertaining. Of course everyone has different tastes and I generally like isekai shows.
TD912

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
[...] the feuding lords and backstabbing assistants revealing all their supposed plot twists are people we don't know, so the audience is left with meaningless names being thrown out as we struggle to grasp why anyone is supposed to care.

This episode was actually pretty amusing to me, mainly because of all the random historical/cultural Sengoku-era references being thrown around. Yae has been speaking the entire show in a distinctly old-fashioned style, using phrases like sessha and ~degozaru, but this episode takes everything to the next level in silliness. Most of the names of those characters from this episode are of actual famous historical figures like Tokugawa Ieyasu and Takeda Shingen. This is why they had the scenes where Yae said something like “Wow, you sure know a lot about Eashen!” after they pointed out the geta and stuff.

I’d assume many viewers in Japan are familiar with their country’s history and would probably appreciate this episode a bit more.
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:09 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Leen is interested in women which makes sense using anime harem logic. After all what other reason could possibly explain why Leen wasn't jealous when other women were around Touya? It has more fanservice but Smartphone is so close to being a 1990's harem comedy.

Smartphone is about as far away from epics like Love Hina or Tenchi, as you can get.

The many early harem shows were often more love triangles than harems. Harems didn't really become true harems till later. Heck even then, most always revealed the love interest from episode one, then strung you along for 12-24 episodes for no reason. Really we haven't had many shows that could contend with the triangles of the 90s.

Love and Lies is trying to but failing pretty miserably. Part of the reason is because it's trying too hard to dance around it's paper thin plot. Only one heroine has really had any decent backstory development. Just can't do that in a triangle. With Hina you had a very long history involved to develop deeper backgrounds. With Tenchi, there was literally no need for his character because it was all about the comedy between the rich girl and the space pirate.

Smartphone is guilty of where Love and Lies goes wrong. All of the characters in it are paper thin. Right now exploring Eashen is filling in one of them, but her backstory is very dry too. Just copy and pasted from a sengoku show. Then just keep adding more girls who have no real reason to feel anything for Touya.

There's no real drama or tension between harem members. Everyone likes everyone. It's a terrible plot to copy and it's been getting copied for years. For that matter, Touya could have just ended the series by being willing to marry them all when it was suggested. Season over, next!
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Squidslinger wrote:
Smartphone is about as far away from epics like Love Hina or Tenchi, as you can get.
I never compared Smartphone to a great show but it does remind me of some of the harem shows of the 1990's such as Saber Marionette. Also besides a few controversial choices I would say that it is comparable to the average harem show from that time. I remember plenty of harem shows that would spin their wheels for several episodes in a row, have the harem characters competing with each other to bake chocolates, and include random fanservice episodes.

Squidslinger wrote:
The many early harem shows were often more love triangles than harems. Harems didn't really become true harems till later. Heck even then, most always revealed the love interest from episode one, then strung you along for 12-24 episodes for no reason. Really we haven't had many shows that could contend with the triangles of the 90s.
I partly agree with that since most of the 1990's harem shows had a small harem size of 2 to 4 and it wasn't until the 2000's that the number went into the double digits.
EmpyreanBlaze

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:19 am Reply with quote
Like I repeated x times before, why can't we focus more on the one thing that actually sticks out: the Smartphone?! Touya can literally apply divine judgement to hundreds if not more targets in a kilometres-wide radius as long as it can be displayed on the touchscreen.

It's not being neglected by the show itself, though I can't say the same here... Well, I can't wait for them to reveal more of that "Ancient Artifact" (if I'm remembering correctly the term used by Leen).

OK, I'll admit it's pretty shallow, as is the show itself. But that's not always a bad thing, especially in this show's case, at least for me. Anime smallmouth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:38 pm Reply with quote
So, finally got around to starting this series and I do find the reviews pretty entertaining. I hope that when Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody comes out Chris reviews it as well. It's got all the things that seem to push his buttons

Overpowered MC who just chills most of the time, check
No serious plot or drama, just relaxing adventures, check
animals getting killed, check
harem of underage girls, check

It's going to get F's on every episode.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:07 am Reply with quote
I was looking on the official website to see how many episodes the show would be (almost certainly 12) but I have to say, it's actually pretty neat. It's made up to emulate a smart phone, specifically iOS, with the different sections appearing as apps. The map "app" is actually pretty good for ones that I've seen on other such sites, though most of the map doesn't take to translation. The site seems to be optimized for mobile browsing, and if you go to it on a regular browser, it appears inside of a smart phone. It is a pretty neat and well executed use of the premise, and you can tell they put some real effort into it, though I wish I could say the same about the show.
Zomb1e13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Yay spoiler[Francesca ] finally joins the fun. To bad there is only two episodes left. D:
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
So, finally got around to starting this series and I do find the reviews pretty entertaining. I hope that when Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody comes out Chris reviews it as well. It's got all the things that seem to push his buttons

Overpowered MC who just chills most of the time, check
No serious plot or drama, just relaxing adventures, check
animals getting killed, check
harem of underage girls, check

It's going to get F's on every episode.

Not so sure about that. I hated smartphone by the first episode with the passion of a thousand burning white suns, but Death March is very enjoyable for me that i'm even caught up with the web novel.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Yo Chris, can I just say that one of the few reasons I'm watching this fiasco of an anime is because of your phenomenal reviews? Every week I find myself dying from laughter from your nitpicking and very understandable problems with the show, and your sarcastic blurbs are no joke the highlight of my week. Never change my friend. Very Happy
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
You see, here's the thing I don't understand about these shows.

SAO is popular because of its blend of sci-fi, action and romance that appeals to a lot of people. Konosuba is popular because of its wacky comedy. Harems tend to be popular because of boobs, buts and panties.

When there's no high stakes action, no drama, no wacky sense of humour and no pantyshots... what's the point? What is there to enjoy? Who is it made for?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12