• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: In Another World With My Smartphone

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Crazy reviewers.

I've seen many horrible anime that got B score, and yet entertaining like this one get D ?! Really ? You got be kidding !

Magical Circle Guru-Guru got A score. Seriously ?! I dropped it after watching 5 min of the 2nd episode.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of those who actually kinda likes this show, at least a little bit. It's not a good show or anything but enjoyable enough that I want to keep watching it. There's something oddly charming about these generic Light Novel adaptions. They are filled with tired old cliches and tropes and often feel like copies of each other but that makes them familiar in a pleasant, cosy kind of way.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:34 pm Reply with quote
My Tuesdays are currently planned around four anime (five if I decide to start watching Tsurezure Children). I start with Aho Girl because it's my favorite intentional comedy of this season. Then I start up Smartphone because it's my favorite unintentional comedy of this season. I know it's based off a light novel but this show feels like it was written by a comity... of robots, trying to make the least interesting show known to the isekai genre.

Touya has zero motivation to accomplish anything and has had to put in zero effort to accomplish almost any of his tasks. I think he left such little impact on his previous world that his family are wondering why they had this extra room in their home. Meanwhile in this world, Touya is Isekai Jesus with the exception that he doesn't have to suffer at all or have any responsibilities. I think I laughed for like 30 seconds after he cured the Duchess of her blindness.

I'm amazed that this got released and I will be happy to watch it every week, though I might die of a heart attack if it gets a second season.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
If only the Duke's wife had been a leper instead of just blind....
This is absurd fun for now, but it runs a real danger of wearing thin.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
And I am one of those others that are kind of enjoying my time watching. I say that it knowing it is bad, but there is this sort of comfy feeling of watching something like this.

Although I went on a bit of rant in the other thread that there is some pretty bad character writing, which comes from far too convenient actions of characters that make no sense. Like the group of guards just letting the strangers in and the duke just explaining everything. I have been kind of taking part in Dungeons & Dragons recently, acting as a DM, and it is like the laziest character writing to have a character almost unprovoked say quite important personal information, where there needs to be some coaxing by the "hero". Which goes into him being too overpowered, but not interacting in any meaningful way that he only comes across as reactionary. We should feel like the hero is trying to push his case, like try and gain their trust, but it is like everyone automatically trusts him

Pretty much it feels exactly like the sort of thing Konosuba and Re:Zero were both making fun of. On Konosuba's side you have characters being quite strange and dysfunctional, with the situations usually turning out quite silly, with quite the reputation for the hero. And on Re:Zero you have characters turn out deeper than first expected, with quite a bit of harsh realities, with a highlight action by the hero or perhaps even the lack of it.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
It's a fluff piece, so I don't really mind the story or the op mc. It justs irks me that the author didn't exactly think through one of the central tenets to this light novel/manga/anime, the fact that the mc can't in any way contact or affect the old world like sending messages there on the phone. Because, if he's searching stuff and visiting various sites on it, that's basically what he's doing as there's always at least a tiny amount of data sent...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
The novels are fun, in part because of how ridiculous high level wish fulfilment fantasy it is. There have been plenty of anime that take somewhat weak source material and improve it (or at least iron out a few kinks) but I don't think this is doing much of that so far. Glancing at the manga has also reminded me how annoyed I was at the overblown animation for Blind Sand.

And don't worry, the smartphone does get used to pull off ridiculous stunts - the first time it is used in a rule-breaking manner will be in the anime (unless they skip it, like they've written out one character thus far) and the best early example of just plain cheating on a massive scale should make it unless Cesca, Ende and the good Doctor are only in the OP as a tease (or, again, they skip that bit).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Phantowhite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:59 pm Reply with quote
am i the only one that actually likes this show? don't get me wrong it's absolute garbage as an anime but for me at least, it's on that so bad it's good level. touya might as well be the second coming of jesus but at least he isn't a dick and flaunting his powers. honestly i'm not sure if he'd be better off as a dick or not because at least if he was he'd have some character. but even though i think this is one of the worst anime i've seen so far i'm still going to watch it to the end just because i like generic anime. at this point if it got better or worse i'd be happy either way.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:51 am Reply with quote
I just watched the first two episodes yesterday and I rather enjoyed it. While it's less entertaining than other Isekai anime like Re:Zero and Konosuba, this series is different because it's more like an RPG anime.

So while mediocre at best with generic characters, it's not exactly a terrible series either. Though I worry what is the main plot of the story? In Re:Zero the plot with the witch was introduced, in Konosuba the plot was around them finding jobs to buy shelter and eventually square off with the Demon King. But here, no idea. So all I can think of is if this series is just an RPG slice-of-life?

So far it's nothing that screams "buy my DVDs". Hopefully that changes later on.
Dracospirit121

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:49 am Reply with quote
Got to agree with the statement this show is pretty bad. Now OP hero's arn't impossible to handle, and you will find no lack of shows were the hero overcomes every challange he faces.... but the trick to make it at least feel like the hero has to earn each victory.

Bell from "Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?" a good example. He grows with rocket speed and picks up no lack of good gear and ablites. But watch any of his "boss fights" and you see blood, sweat and tears in every one, with most of them being extended long winded fights that nearly kill him.

Another common way to give them weak area's or in more extreme cases, exacly one strong suit. Ichigo from Bleach is badarse... but has no understanding of the SS or magical skills. Subaru from Re:Zero has Return by Death, allowing him to keep replay the same days till he make it through alive... but other than that he just a nerd who works out, in a setting full of insanely powerfull fighters. In both cases this let other characters show off and help out more. Rukia gets to play teacher and Rem acturly does 9/10 of Subaru's fighting. Wink This gives the writer more to work with and allows for more intresting plots than "MC solves everything all by himself".

You can also make your MC really OP, but turn that into half the fun like Hellsing did with Alacard or simply make the plot about another issue like OP did.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
It's a pretty unfortunate adaptation so far. The novels are not particularly noteworthy by themselves but they are at least enjoyable. This isn't even that. The art is not great ("Slip" made me cringe), the constant eyecatches used as segways are annoying and unnecessary, and a lot of what is being cut has actual relevance to character development, leaving them all just bland stock characters.

Yikes, that does not sound good. I've seen some "edited for syndication" broadcasts where that's the first thing removed from the TV show or movie, so I know exactly how much that removes everything interesting from a story.

Melicans wrote:
Yes I did, I blame autocorrect for that mistake.

Now that you've said it, somebody is probably going to write an isekai where that happens!

In Another World with My Segway. Never needs to be recharged, and because the fantasy world doesn't have laws for motorized vehicles, the protagonist can ride it anywhere.

(Laws in Japan effectively prevent the Segway from being used without a whole lot of trouble and fees, which is why it was an even bigger flop there than the rest of the world.)

Merxamers wrote:
I was wondering about this one; like the reviewer said, these Isekai shows need some sort of angle to them, and it didn't seem like this had anything distinctive. These kinds of shows, where the protagonist begins the story overpowered, can be interesting; i enjoy both Deathmarch and Overlord, for example. But what I've heard about this series doesn't really pique my interest.

The key is to give the protagonist a problem he or she cannot easily solve. They may be overpowered, but it doesn't mean they don't have problems of their own. Saitama in One Punch Man is about as overpowered as it gets, for instance, but his central problem, which is to make his life interesting again, is not something that can be solved through his godlike powers.

Touya, in this show, seems to be perfectly content. He's satisfied with anything that happens to him and is just living in the fantasy world day-to-day, casually and not worried. It doesn't matter if he's horrifically overpowered or if he's quadriplegic, blind, and deaf--if Touya has no problems, no issues, and most importantly, no goals, he's a boring protagonist.

SkerllyFC07 wrote:
zztop wrote:
The titular smartphone will be used more often later in the novels. In fact, the author himself apologized in Vol 1 for not featuring the smartphone enough!

Later when? When episode 12 is released? How can a smartphone be included in the series name, yet it´s not used for anything other than a freaking map? Sigh, it´s no use to falsely hype viewers with the use of the smartphone for nothing. I hope this series tanks as the dumpster fire it´s starting to be, as we live in a world where Masou Gakuen HxH sold more than 3,000 copies, unfortunately

Agreed: To maintain interest, you need a hook. Said hook, according to the title and all the promotional material, is that the protagonist is in a fantasy world with a smartphone (which apparently does not need recharging and has GPS, Internet, and phone service). If it's not going to be used much in the series at the beginning, at least show something clever or cool-looking on the first episode as a way of telling viewers that there will be more of this later on. Otherwise, the viewers will lose attention, stop watching, and forget about the series.

Phantowhite wrote:
am i the only one that actually likes this show? don't get me wrong it's absolute garbage as an anime but for me at least, it's on that so bad it's good level. touya might as well be the second coming of jesus but at least he isn't a dick and flaunting his powers. honestly i'm not sure if he'd be better off as a dick or not because at least if he was he'd have some character. but even though i think this is one of the worst anime i've seen so far i'm still going to watch it to the end just because i like generic anime. at this point if it got better or worse i'd be happy either way.

If Touya was a jerk, it'd be a more interesting show because 1) it will turn into a comedy, and 2) it means he's proactive.

Dracospirit121 wrote:
Another common way to give them weak area's or in more extreme cases, exacly one strong suit. Ichigo from Bleach is badarse... but has no understanding of the SS or magical skills. Subaru from Re:Zero has Return by Death, allowing him to keep replay the same days till he make it through alive... but other than that he just a nerd who works out, in a setting full of insanely powerfull fighters. In both cases this let other characters show off and help out more. Rukia gets to play teacher and Rem acturly does 9/10 of Subaru's fighting. Wink This gives the writer more to work with and allows for more intresting plots than "MC solves everything all by himself".

You don't even need weaknesses like that. Like with my aforementioned example of One Punch Man, turn the conflict from Man Versus Man to Man Versus Self and even the most overpowered of protagonists can receive conflict that they might not know how to overcome.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Add me to the list of people that are enjoying it, yeah, it is cotton candy, got a problem? *munch* It somehow reminds me of "Blessing of the Campanella" which had better visuals but bored the hell out of me. For whatever reason this seems to be interesting in its own right, cliches can be powerful tools if used to make the viewer comfortable (avoiding long explanations) and I am comfy and here to stay *removes socks*
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
SkerllyFC07 wrote:
How this was chosen for a weekly review is beyond me.
Just for the chance to trash it every week of course.Wink I am mad this got in and not Cheer Fruits tho.
Sorry, but I voted to see it trashed and "break in" the reviewer. I also wanted to see if it was ironically good enough to (hate)watch. Mr. Ferris, you are doing a great job and don't worry about the D+. Rate as you see it...
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:54 am Reply with quote
I find it entertaining and it reminds me of those harem shows from 20 years ago where the characters were pleasant and the fanservice was mostly from dreams. Also the plot moves at a pretty good pace and the group battle against the spider monster was well done.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quote
From reading the review I have a really hard time believing that this isn't a parody meant to just do everything LN adaptation do but tongue in cheek style. An armor that amplify weakness but the MC has no weakness so the armor has no downside... Rolling Eyes

It's like someone watched sword art online and though "you know what this series need? An even more obviously OP protagonist". I bet the show is doing pretty well too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12