• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: In Another World With My Smartphone

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taifood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:20 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Taskforce wrote:
Is the show as bad as some recent harem entries like Hand Shakers or Lance N` Masques, certainly not, but that doesn't make it a good show either. And this is coming from someone who's favorite genre is the harem genre. It is just not a good show. And that makes for the biggest complaint. The reviewer sees what might have been a decent (at least better) show, but just isn't..
Smartphone has issues but it knows where it is going and for the most part is having fun while heading in that direction. I think that makes me more forgiving of Smartphone than a show like Rewrite in which the story is so serious that it saps the fun out of it. I also enjoy pleasant fantasy shows and that is likely a factor as well.
That isn't an excuse. Good writing and pleasantry aren't mutually exclusive.
Zomb1e13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
Really is a shame that the series ended right where you meet spoiler[ Ende and you really start to learn about the Fraze] It actually gets a little better with vol 3 and further on.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12;

The 'future' harem, at ~21.10 mark. Smile

Being a novel reader I think I know all of them, with the exception being the pink-haired elf, I don't think I have encountered her yet in the j-novel version unless I'm forgetting something?...
teferi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Doompa wrote:
The reviewer has been reviewing from a biased soapbox this entire season .This is the problem with ANN reviews. They come in having certain prejudices against a certain type of series and will go out of their way to negatively review it while claiming a moral highground in a series such as this (harem, fanservice, LN).

If they have reviewers that clearly don't want to watch a certain type of series then don' them review it. This is why people disregard their reviews and why they are regarded as smug elitests.

A lot of the criticisms in the review are shared by people that generally enjoy this genre.

I honestly question the sanity of anyone that didn't cringe at least a little bit at a whole episode dedicated to them settling for polygamy because Touya is such a great guy.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I get why a lot of people didn't like this show and I understand all the criticism it's getting, but I liked it. It was a kind of lighthearted adventure with few conflicts, no drama just everyone gets to be happy. I liked the chemistry between Touya and the girls. I liked the little bits where Touya utilized his original world knowledge albeit in a very simple way.

So yeah I'm sorry guys, I found this anime to be enjoyable. Not great, but enjoyable.
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
The anime covered Smartphone's 1st 3 LN volumes. IIRC there are 10 volumes out now in Japan.

White haired guy in the post-credits plays a major recurring role in future volumes of Smartphone. The action and plot escalates starting from this point, and the interdimensional enemies that Touya and he will fight are a recurring enemy as well.

Apparently the source LNs are Hobby Japan's (Smartphone's LN publisher) bestselling title; though whether this'll translate into a S2 is another question entirely.
Melicans

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm genuinely surprised at him having nine wives-to-be mentioned at the end. I don't recall that being mentioned at the corresponding point in the light novels, so when they flashed on screen it really took me by surprise. Sue is no surprise since she was mentione much earlier as potentially joining when she is old enough. Leen doesn't really surprise me either, it's been hinted at enough. I wonder who the others are.

I swear that Ende had more screentime in the opening credits than in the series proper though.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
A lot of the criticisms in the review are shared by people that generally enjoy this genre.

I honestly question the sanity of anyone that didn't cringe at least a little bit at a whole episode dedicated to them settling for polygamy because Touya is such a great guy.

Yeah, I'm fine with not entirely original LN based anime series, but this one was garbage. I've even read quite a few of the LN adaptations that get widely shit on and enjoyed them. This is easily the worst LN adaptation I've watched in recent years. There might be more to the series in the source, but the anime sure as hell didn't show it.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Smartphone season 1 has ended and while the story was average I thought it was pleasant. There are elements in the show that are worth criticizing but I had a lot more fun watching this show than I did Rewrite. Smartphone was a rare combination of harem, isekai, and iyashikei.
Hektor6766

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
ipputasai: 一夫多妻: 1 husband, many wives = polygyny, not polyandrous polygamy.

Anyway, even somniferous SoL like K-On had at least SOME conflict, like staging the concert or the girl having to learn how to play her guitar, not entering the world as Clapton, Hendrix and Segovia rolled into one. Smartphone is just a walk through the fantasy park: Perhaps a pleasant diversion for a short time, but any more investment would be annoyingly tedious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12