• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: In Another World With My Smartphone

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TD912

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:31 am Reply with quote
While the art direction is fairly bland, the animation and sound effects are actually pretty decent in episode 3.

Small stuff like the fox girl's reaction when being approached, Princess Sue rolling up into a "roll cake" and being annoying, and of course the fight scene in the second half of the episode were all actually animated fairly well. No obvious shortcuts or off-model characters.

I actually find this show pretty funny after watching KonoSuba, since that show was basically a parody of this one. The "steal the panties" spell, explosion spell, etc. I'd bet the people working on this show are well aware of all the other shows with the same tropes, as a lot of the stuff in this show feels tongue-in-cheek despite being played seriously on the surface.

It doesn't excuse the completely obvious totally generic isekai "plot" from the source material, but I actually kinda enjoying watching this show every week for some mindless entertainment.

Last edited by TD912 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:36 am; edited 2 times in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
From reading the review I have a really hard time believing that this isn't a parody meant to just do everything LN adaptation do but tongue in cheek style. An armor that amplify weakness but the MC has no weakness so the armor has no downside... Rolling Eyes

It's like someone watched sword art online and though "you know what this series need? An even more obviously OP protagonist". I bet the show is doing pretty well too.

Based on what I've read about the books this is based on, it was written by a non-professional, and one with pretty little experience in writing or narratology at that. I can see this story being played absolutely straight if that is the case, as it'd be the author having learned to crawl before he learned to walk. (In other words, before you can play around with tropes, you first have to learn how to play them straight. You don't have to publish them though. Anyone who's good at writing stories is only good because they learned firsthand what DOESN'T work in a story.)

On the other hand, I also heard that the literature this was based on got a lot of character motivations and other related types of reasoning removed for the anime.
Taifood

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Man the MC is always [expletive] smiling. That is the worst thing ever. All we need is another massively OP, nice guy, fuckwit.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Based on what I've read about the books this is based on, it was written by a non-professional, and one with pretty little experience in writing or narratology at that.

Is was originally self-published on syosetu.com and was actually itself written entirely on a phone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
For me this continues to be a relaxing fantasy rpg romp. You don't need to "boldly go where no one has gone before" to be entertaining, rather prefer this that other stories where they try (and miserably fail) to be edgy/revolutionary. Dunno why people keep getting distracted by the character plot armor since I can't think of one character (since Hitchcock psycho movie) that does not have it, at least the shenanigans here are fun and the attempts of the MC to get our heroines "slimmed" are but a passing joke.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
For me this continues to be a relaxing fantasy rpg romp. You don't need to "boldly go where no one has gone before" to be entertaining, rather prefer this that other stories where they try (and miserably fail) to be edgy/revolutionary. Dunno why people keep getting distracted by the character plot armor since I can't think of one character (since Hitchcock psycho movie) that does not have it, at least the shenanigans here are fun and the attempts of the MC to get our heroines "slimmed" are but a passing joke.

There's a big difference between "we won't let the MC die cause the story would stop there" and "we'll make sure the MC never has to produce a single drop of sweat due to either exertion or being in any kind of bind". Without struggle there's no story or character growth, drama or tension and the show need to entirely revert to something else (great animation, good comedy, or as I'm sure we'll see more over the next few week fan service).
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, I'll take a dickhead protagonist over a "Nice Guy" protagonist every day of the week. Not that you can't have a hero who's nice, but a guy who blandly smiles at everything and has never had an ounce of conflict in his life is dull, dull, dull.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Without struggle there's no story or character growth, drama or tension and the show need to entirely revert to something else (great animation, good comedy, or as I'm sure we'll see more over the next few week fan service).

You have never in your life seen an slice of life series, have you?
Desa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Smartphone? More like Sadphone. Much neglect Sad

It's right there in the title yet it takes a backseat to his OP-as-hell magic powers. Definitely not treading any new ground here in the isekai genre, like, not even a little.

That being said, I'm not bored just yet. Biggest complaint I have is that all these girls keep getting added to his party in the most improbable way. It's so blatant it feels cheap. Hyoudou Issei's life goal is to obtain a harem and even he doesn't have it this easy.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Good god, thank you so much for these reviews. I totally need this in my life right now Smile
Melicans

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

There's a big difference between "we won't let the MC die cause the story would stop there" and "we'll make sure the MC never has to produce a single drop of sweat due to either exertion or being in any kind of bind". Without struggle there's no story or character growth, drama or tension and the show need to entirely revert to something else (great animation, good comedy, or as I'm sure we'll see more over the next few week fan service).

Part of the appeal to me while reading the series, at least post volume 1, is the number of ways the protagonist figures out how to apply his smartphone functionality to situations. The author admitted in an afterword that he didn't come close to using the premise properly in the earlier portion of the series, but since then that has been rectified decently I think.

It's true that at this point he hasn't had to struggle too much - and honestly some of the ways he wins are pretty cheap, though amusing enough (looking at you Turtle-snake) - but I think that people are taking umbrage for the wrong reasons. This is an isekai series, but there is no demon lord here. There is no big evil bad through the first four volumes and almost certainly the full anime season. He may be in a new world but he isn't there to become a hero because the world needs it. It is a story about journeying with friends, and the appeal comes in the ingenuity with which he uses the token 'catch' of the series, the smartphone, to deal with unexpected or potentially dangerous situations. Anyone who is looking for more than that won't find it in this series, because that isn't the kind of series that Smartphone is.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:09 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Based on what I've read about the books this is based on, it was written by a non-professional, and one with pretty little experience in writing or narratology at that.

Is was originally self-published on syosetu.com and was actually itself written entirely on a phone.
Thanks for the info, this explains a lot...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:11 am Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:
Ugh, I'll take a dickhead protagonist over a "Nice Guy" protagonist every day of the week. Not that you can't have a hero who's nice, but a guy who blandly smiles at everything and has never had an ounce of conflict in his life is dull, dull, dull.

I doubt they'll go as far in the anime but he can be a definite d**khead to human (or at least sentient) enemies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cutslo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:51 am Reply with quote
I don't think this show would be better if he used the smartphone more.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Any other show worth its salt would have it revealed that the supposed awesome coat had no powers and he was simply swindled. He has little knowledge of the world, a character should not be perfect all the time. Part of my worry is that him being perfect just totally overshadows all the other characters, like there is rarely a time he is out of his depth and would require them to take point, which I thought would be what would be needed when at least shopping. Can he have a flaw already? Like be too trusting.

And shogi took off like a hit? Usually these fantasy settings have something akin to chess. Rather than him being awesome in making the boards, I kind of wonder if it would have been better he could make one, and then kick start some sort of woodcarver's work in creating a market if it was such a hit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12