• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Voice Actor Daisuke Namikawa Apologizes After Adultery Report

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCTakato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
I don't care what he does in his personal life as long as he continues voice acting.
It's one thing if it's between consenting adults, but if he had sex with a child, that is kind of gross and kind of something you should be concerned about.
dark13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
ugh what a disgusting human being, dude really needs to go to jail.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:51 pm Reply with quote
The only people he needs to apologize to are his wife, his kids (if he has them) and the young woman he had the affair with, if she's suffering from any repercussions--heaven knows this could negatively affect her personal & professional life more than his, even if it doesn't officially make the tabloids.

And that's it. He wasn't married to the rest of us.
JB Gra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:21 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
It's one thing if it's between consenting adults, but if he had sex with a child, that is kind of gross and kind of something you should be concerned about.

A teen is not a child (well only for their parents), and she was already working. Knowing Japan and its labor laws, I'm guessing the woman was at her late teens when they met.

We don't know if this whole story is true though. For all we know, they could be making it up.
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I hoping he's innocent. Allegations don't mean he's guilty. If he is, he deserves legal punishment, but I'm hoping it's just slander.
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:21 am Reply with quote
GlassesMan wrote:
I hoping he's innocent. Allegations don't mean he's guilty. If he is, he deserves legal punishment, but I'm hoping it's just slander.

If it's just slander, he should have said as much. Instead, he said he has to "recover everyone's trust," which, to me, is a huge flag that he actually did it.

I realize, of course, that his personal life is none of my business, but I can honestly say I've lost a lot of respect for him now, which is a shame. I'm not sure I'd be able to hear his voice anymore without a little sneer on my lip.
ice_tea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:57 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
Heh... I'm not a big fan of this dude. But really, married for 16 years and had an affair with others is just a typical thing nowadays, especially on a celebrity like him.

I don't think he was THAT rich or of a big celebrity back in 2004. Rolling Eyes They just met like two ordinary people and had an affair. But this guy is sort of a celebrity now.

I will see how this incident will affect his career and image now. I think in his position today, "image" is important with fans.
championferret

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:12 am Reply with quote
Say it ain't so, Waver Velvet! Crying or Very sad
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:26 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
Too bad, this dude is quite popular, so it may get the Aya Hirano treatment. Will be the talk for about certain months and then will get completely brushed away.

Aya Hirano's situation was worse because of that phone pic. Which still haunts her today. But for the most part you are right, the fanbase eventually will get over it. Though for now, he will suffer a loss of fans and maybe job offers.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:42 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
so it may get the Aya Hirano treatment. Will be the talk for about certain months and then will get completely brushed away.

I think you're completely unaware of what happened to Hirano. She was blacklisted by her agency and label for several years.

But don't worry, that won't happen to Namikawa... he's a man.

(It shouldn't happen to anyone).

Agent355 wrote:
The only people he needs to apologize to are his wife, his kids (if he has them) and the young woman he had the affair with, if she's suffering from any repercussions--heaven knows this could negatively affect her personal & professional life more than his, even if it doesn't officially make the tabloids.

Agreed. I'd take it even further. If the woman he had an affair with was an adult when they started, she doesn't deserve an apology, she is responsible for her own actions.

The wife deserves honesty, and an apology if his actions were contrary to the arrangement he has with his wife (it's 2017, lets stop pretending that every marriage is meant to be monogamous).

-t
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:47 am Reply with quote
GlassesMan wrote:

The only allegation was that he was cheating on his wife, there are no criminal punishments for that, at least none in Japan.

That other stuff about underage sex with a minor was brought up by ANN posters, and wasn't in the news article.
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
[quote]The only allegation was that he was cheating on his wife, there are no criminal punishments for that, at least none in Japan.

That other stuff about underage sex with a minor was brought up by ANN posters, and wasn't in the news article.[/quote/]

My mistake. You're right that we don't know the age of the woman he cheated with.

Quote:
If it's just slander, he should have said as much. Instead, he said he has to "recover everyone's trust," which, to me, is a huge flag that he actually did it.

I may be off, but isn't t hat just the default Japanese celebrity response to accusations, regardless of guilt? I remember a little while ago, Kensho Ono issued an apology to his fans for going on a date with Kana Hanazawa.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame, he's one of the few voice actors of my generation that I actually like. (I prefer the 70s-early 90s "anime boom" actors.)

A cartoon voice actor having an affair wouldn't even be news in the US.

I don't think it's fair that they didn't give the name of the mistress. She's just as guilty of wrecking that marriage, and she's likely another known voice actress.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

The wife deserves honesty, and an apology if his actions were contrary to the arrangement he has with his wife (it's 2017, lets stop pretending that every marriage is meant to be monogamous).

-t

I agree. Personally I would also go so far as to say let's stop with faux outrage as if it truly mattered to people. I mean seriously...some of the comments here, and elsewhere, over this are simply ridiculous in terms of being so over the top. People responding as if this guy went and punched a toddler in the face. If the guy did truly cheat on his wife then he should apologize to her (assuming they did not have some sort of alternate style marriage), as should the other woman since she knowingly went to bed with a married man, and they figure out if they want to move past it and work on their marriage. And that's it.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
I don't care what he does in his personal life as long as he continues voice acting.

What a naive way too think. Scandals can affect a seiyuu's career. Aya Hirano being the prime example. Namikawa's situation may be not as outraging like Hirano's case since he's guy, but in Hirano's case, she was denied new roles, she had to leave her agency and even to this day, she seems to be pideonholed into bitch characters (Not that she can't do great work with them. I mean just look at her Monaka.)

As far as I know, Namikawa has been a freelancer for a few years, but that doesn't mean, producers won't take notice.

dark13 wrote:
ugh what a disgusting human being, dude really needs to go to jail.

The age of consense in Japan is 14 anyway. And what kind of company would hire a teenager that isn't in their late teens. People are teens until they reach their 20s, and in Japan, you aren't an adult until you're 20. So, if you think, a man should go to jail because he fucked a 19 year old girl (it's just an example), then you don't know how law works. Besides, he was about 25 back then. That means the age gap couldn't be higher than 9 years if the we just assume the company could hire 16-year-olds.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3