• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Figure Skater Johnny Weir To Attend Crunchyroll Expo to Talk About Yuri!!! on Ice

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenrin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Wow he's practically a spokesperson for this show at this point lol
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll is bringing a figure skater who pretty much admits he knows nothing about anime outside of 1 show, and FUNimation is bringing a football player who says he's a fan of DBZ to SDCC. Its good to see that the industry is focusing their efforts on the fans rather than making idiotic attempts to grab "mainstream attention" and (theoretically) peripheral dollars. Rolling Eyes
anifani

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Wow.... I have a new appreciation for Johnny. What an elegant and intelligent speaker. Welcome aboard the anime train. Very Happy
LadyKuzunoha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:52 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Crunchyroll is bringing a figure skater who pretty much admits he knows nothing about anime outside of 1 show, and FUNimation is bringing a football player who says he's a fan of DBZ to SDCC. Its good to see that the industry is focusing their efforts on the fans rather than making idiotic attempts to grab "mainstream attention" and (theoretically) peripheral dollars. Rolling Eyes

At least Johnny Weir can speak with some level of authority on the subject of competitive figure skating, which is relevant to the one anime that we know for sure he has seen and enjoyed. FUNimation bringing Mike Daniels to SDCC as a guest feels like more of a stretch.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:04 pm Reply with quote
LadyKuzunoha wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:

At least Johnny Weir can speak with some level of authority on the subject of competitive figure skating, which is relevant to the one anime that we know for sure he has seen and enjoyed. FUNimation bringing Mike Daniels to SDCC as a guest feels like more of a stretch.

Ehh it's Comic-Con, that's about as mainstream as a con can get, it be one thing if Funi or CR were bringing things like this to every little con and looking for attention but for a one off at a big convention that a ton of celebs attended and one that's not even Anime focused (It's more movie and TV focused these days) I don't see the harm in trying to get a little extra attention with some slight main stream appeal and no offense...Mike Daniels probably isn't gonna get you any more eyes anyway, it's not like he's the face of the NFL anyway, and as said above Johnny can at least provide some insight into the realism of the techniques and training done in Yuri.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:28 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:

Pretty sure plenty of Yuri on Ice fans will be stoked to see Johnny Weir, considering he was a big inspiration for several elements of the show. He's not just some random person.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:

Isn't that pretty standard for Funi though? They sell their licenses to FunkoPop, dub their shows in a way to appeal more to normies more than anime fans, and didn't they also try to get the people behind DBZ Abridged on the official DBZ dub before Toei stepped in and told them to knock it off? It's when other companies start doing it that it becomes a concern. Then again we get unrelated YouTubers like Game Grumps and Nostalgia Critic at anime convetions, so I guess there's no quality control when it comes to con guests.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Haters gonna hate. Johnny Weir is an awesome Yuri on Ice guest, short of getting the actual creators (Sayo Yamamoto and Mitsurou Kubo) back to the States so soon. It would be even better if we could get all 3 of them on one panel...
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I can justify the cost of a trip to California, but gosh darn it all I'm gonna try Anime hyper
Puniyo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:28 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

Isn't that pretty standard for Funi though? They sell their licenses to FunkoPop, dub their shows in a way to appeal more to normies more than anime fans, and didn't they also try to get the people behind DBZ Abridged on the official DBZ dub before Toei stepped in and told them to knock it off?

Apart from dubbing to appeal to normies (which I don't believe they do, not with YOI's glorious Russian accents) why are any of those bad things? Having Anime merch you can actually buy here is awesome. When I was a kid you said 'anime' and people looked at you either in confusion or like you said 'exclusively tentacle hentai", now you see Anime figures, not even all of them being mainstream series, in toy and game and collectible stores, and people actually know what you're talking about.
And backing something like dbz abridged is the opposite of what you'd imagine this kind of company to do, at least MasakoX sounds like Japanese Goku unlike the actual dub Goku.
BlueHaro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I wish I could go now. I'm sure he will look fabulous Crying or Very sad
I thought it was pretty awesome when he converted to the Yuri on Ice fandom when it was coming out. Plus, he was definitely an inspiration for some characters/skating routines. When I first watched the show....all I could see was Johnny Weir and Plushenko all over again. Hell~ even Plushenko promoted the show Embarassed
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:

And backing something like dbz abridged is the opposite of what you'd imagine this kind of company to do

Is it really? It's no real different than referencing other memes or pop cu!ture in an attempt to look hip and trendy. This is the company that marketed AoT as 'Japan's answer to Walking Dead!'
CCTakato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
If you had told me even a year ago that Johnny Weir would be attending an anime convention, I would have never believed you.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Someone explain to me why getting more mainstream attention for anime is a bad thing again.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Johnny Weir - elite figure skater and yuri Very Happy
(everybody knows)

HeeroTX wrote:

FUNimation is bringing a football player who says he's a fan of DBZ to SDCC.

Green Bay defensive end Mike Daniels has been known among Packers fans as an anime/comics/video games dork like people here.

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/12/30/nfl-green-bay-packers-mike-daniels

Quote:
KAHLER: Former Packers running back Ahman Green recently showed The MMQB his passion for video games and comic books. He said that it is more acceptable to be a nerd in today’s NFL. I’ve heard you are also a nerd?

DANIELS: I’m a super geek. I’m big into video games, big into anime, Dragon Ball Z. I am such a freak. I’m a huge geek. I’m not going to lie to you. I can’t hide it. It is who I am. Proud of it. Now that we are in the era of the superhero movie genre, I am having a blast with that. I am old enough to understand it, yet I am still young enough to appreciate it.

MIKE DANIELS REENACTS SOME DRAGON BALL Z
https://www.totalpackers.com/2016/07/mike-daniels-reenacts-dragon-ball-z/

MIKE DANIELS DRESSED UP AS RAIKAGE AT COMIC-CON
https://www.totalpackers.com/2017/07/mike-daniels-raikage-comic-con/

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1