• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Manga Gets Live-Action Hollywood TV Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:09 am Reply with quote
First thought: "It's after midnight and I haven't gotten enough sleep; I'm imagining things...I just saw a headline that One Piece was optioned as a Hollywood live-action TV show...Is it April Fool's Day? Silly ANN, it's not April Fool's Day...Could this be REAL???"
I think I need to get some sleep, see if this is still true tomorrow.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:17 am Reply with quote
The anime didn't even last on American TV. What makes them think this has a shot?
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:18 am Reply with quote
Ohhhhh boy
mooseV01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:20 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
The anime didn't even last on American TV. What makes them think this has a shot?

It actually lasted quite a long time. 3 years to be exact.

And it's is still semi popular here. Although it is strange that they would do a Hollywood live-action adaptation of it, but hey, Hollywood has adapted many niche things and actually had them succeed so lets see what happens.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:20 am Reply with quote
Dear freaking American studios wanting to get a piece of royalty from One Piece...

Please, I hope you get bankrupt tomorrow so your plans for a live-action will be utterly washed away!

I know One Piece hasn't fully invade America yet but it's already the best-selling manga of all time. This is so unnecessary!
ssj1236

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:24 am Reply with quote
I legit laughed out loud Anime hyper

Seriously, how desperate are people to cash in on "one Piece". Who thought this was a good idea?
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:26 am Reply with quote
Boy, the executive producer of Last Man Standing and Teen Wolf. I'm sure glad One Piece is in good hands.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
amagee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:12 am Reply with quote
I just want Dave Bautista to be Franky, Patrick Stewart to voice Chopper, and Gordon Ramsey to be Sanji. I'd watch the hell out of that show.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:51 am Reply with quote
Cat: I thought TeenWolf got good reviews. [At least by MTV standards...]
O-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:55 am Reply with quote
amagee wrote:
I just want Dave Bautista to be Franky, Patrick Stewart to voice Chopper, and Gordon Ramsey to be Sanji. I'd watch the hell out of that show.

POINTS!!!!

No seriously, I tried copying and posting this response to Twitter and giving you credit but that dang 140 word limit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpaceTheGamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:14 am Reply with quote
Who thought that this was good idea!?!?!? Have they learned nothing about how adapting manga/anime into live-action never works and espexially if they're battle shonens!?!?!
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:29 am Reply with quote
What the hell is the budget going to be? How would this even translate? I like how Hollywood is so desperate they're trying to make live action anime a thing. Not even easily translatable ones either. Anyway, who knows if this even happens. How is that Naruto and Battle Angel Alita movie coming?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:44 am Reply with quote
amagee wrote:

You are too late to speculate on such a matter, I'm afraid. Here's a photograph of the cast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HueyLion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:01 am Reply with quote
A theme park, dance mobile game, 4D ride and a real life Thousand Sunny replica that comes to Japan a few times a year..... NOW A LIVE TV SERIES!

That's it One Piece has achieved EVERTHING at this point
Nadare Xizos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:18 am Reply with quote
...What? Shocked I can see so many things going wrong with this. Filming on water itself would be the first challenge, actually getting quality actors and making the superpowers work without seeming ludicrous would be second and third. I would be very surprised if the project does get finished though. I'm still waiting on more than a few projects that were announced years ago, but got stuck in production hell.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6