• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: One Piece Reveals 'One Piece Day,' Kyoto Collaboration, Oda Comment on Live-Action TV Seri

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:56 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I'm not feeling good about this Hollywood adaptation, but jeez, in Oda we trust!
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:02 am Reply with quote
Honestly, compared to Dragonball or Ghost in the Shell, there's less "cultural" issues in One Piece which would cause trouble. No one's gonna complain with a hot blonde is cast as Nami after all.

The issue is all one of style and design... Both of which are actually solvable with talent (and budget). And you can't go and say that silly pirate adventures have no audience in the west.

It will be tricky to walk that line between stylized and just goofy looking, but I'm not going to sit here and say it couldn't be done. I have hope!

As far as hollywood is concerned this is pirates + superheros. How could that equal anything but blockbuster? Hope will spring eternal.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:09 am Reply with quote
Oh crap, Oda you have made it in life to have your own very work as a Day in Japan!
He is now a born legend within Japan!!

ONE PIECE WHOOO
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Firstly, "I will never betray the fans who have supported me for 20 years."

Fingers crossed!
ETX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:23 am Reply with quote
So now Naruto, Bleach and One Piece all have Live-Action counterparts in the works. Out of the three, Bleach's movie looks the most promising. Naruto's movie is being handled by Lionsgate studios who did the Power Rangers movie so I'm not sure what to expect.

Hoping Oda doesn't regret this though.
TokyoSplash

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Best-selling manga series of all time, it was just a matter of time until it got its own day! Congratulations Oda and One Piece! I'm happy to say I've been following this amazing series for a long time and that I am a huge fan : ) keep the greatness coming!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Like DB:Evolution, Netflix's Death Note and the ScarJo GITS, if we are getting a live-action One Piece, it's for ONE reason only:
Hollywood wants to get in on This New Anime Thing The Young Kids Are Into, but has only heard of the same dopey mainstream series that attract cable viewers on Cartoon Network.

Otherwise, few producers would try to live-action adapt a series where half the characters look like they just stepped out of Yellow Submarine.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to Oda on his series getting its own day.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Honestly, compared to Dragonball or Ghost in the Shell, there's less "cultural" issues in One Piece which would cause trouble. No one's gonna complain with a hot blonde is cast as Nami after all.

The issue is all one of style and design... Both of which are actually solvable with talent (and budget). And you can't go and say that silly pirate adventures have no audience in the west.

It will be tricky to walk that line between stylized and just goofy looking, but I'm not going to sit here and say it couldn't be done. I have hope!

As far as hollywood is concerned this is pirates + superheros. How could that equal anything but blockbuster? Hope will spring eternal.

That is by far the most optimistic take I've seen here thus far, and with some solid reasoning as well. I have always felt that One Piece is the most thoroughly western-influenced of the major manga and anime series going on right now (I mean, Oda was thoroughly influenced by Tom and Jerry, after all), and it can be both faithful to the source material and near indistinguishable from other western media (in other words, very palatable to westerners).
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm not worried about you betraying us Oda, it's Hollywood that got me scared and doubting. Their track record speaks for itself.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
With little or no foreign culture material present, a Hollywood live-action One Piece has a better chance of having a decent performance. Even then, there's still that chance of Hollywood somehow faltering the show with unexpected changes to the cast and/or script.
manapear

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:48 am Reply with quote
I'm definitely getting the Ribon, Cookie and The Margaret issues for the One Piece covers~. I wish it were other magazines I pick up too. x');

It's great to see them really going all out for the 20th anniversary. I look forward to enjoying merch and events. ♥

Congrats to a fantastic series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1