• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Made in Abyss

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:47 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Abyss setup is similar, young main character want to explore what's considered the most dangerous area. Except without time skip. Let's say Luffy as a kid found Franky (adult) and then set off to explore the calm belt/new world by themselves, right there and then, would that have made for a good story?

If the adventures are interesting, sure. Actually that would be amazing now that I think about it, though it would have to be different than the actual story. I don't know that it would be as good but one could make it work. Someone make that spinoff!

I feel the same about Abyss. I don't really see why Riko being significantly under qualified lessens the sense of danger rather than increasing it. It would be one thing if they made it too easy but that doesn't sound like it will be a problem.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I feel the same about Abyss. I don't really see why Riko being significantly under qualified lessens the sense of danger rather than increasing it. It would be one thing if they made it too easy but that doesn't sound like it will be a problem.

It's not so much about the sense of danger as it's about world building and how quickly it's just deflated the abyss from "near impossible to explore" to "well a 12 year old can do it, so since they've been exploring this place for century at this point it must have been thoroughly cleaned up with few stone left unturned", except the show is acting like it's still the first scenario. It's the dissonance between what's presented on screen and what is being told. It's like going to a carnival and being told they have a lion and finding out it's just a cat with a wig but the people at the carnival really insist it's a lion and so you watch a trainer who act like he's in danger around the cat with no hint of comedy.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I think we'll have to see more of the Abyss before we can accuse it of being so easy a child could do it. Aside from the shallow end of the pool so to speak we haven't seen much of it. It could potentially fail to be internally consistent but I think they can thread the needle of having a 12 yo character while still being threatening, but really we'll have to see.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
It's not so much about the sense of danger as it's about world building and how quickly it's just deflated the abyss from "near impossible to explore" to "well a 12 year old can do it, so since they've been exploring this place for century at this point it must have been thoroughly cleaned up with few stone left unturned", except the show is acting like it's still the first scenario. It's the dissonance between what's presented on screen and what is being told. It's like going to a carnival and being told they have a lion and finding out it's just a cat with a wig but the people at the carnival really insist it's a lion and so you watch a trainer who act like he's in danger around the cat with no hint of comedy.

And repeat, what this 12 year old thinks in leaving to achieve her goal, does not necessarily represent what the reality will be.

To borrow you analogy, you go to a carnival to see a lion, but then the 12 year old who has been dealing with cats her whole life thinks it is just a cat with a furry hat, so she might have just stupidly gone into the cage to pat it. That it will be a lucky break her friend is pretty lion proof so there is a chance they might get past the hungry beasts as long as they are lucky at using some of his talents, and perhaps some of her knowledge of cats might be able to help. But despite that the real danger will be coming out of the cage, which is where the lions are even more dangerous to impossible, so they have already written off that she even could manage it. Everyone is not expecting her to be able to come back.

Just looking at it in the story, its suicide, the chances are slim, but for the story we will probably see the slim chance happen. That happens in many stories, the heroes beat the monster when the chances are against them, many video games stack the chances against the player that they could die at any time. You have David and Goliath stories, literally as old as the bible. Which still has Goliath being pretty much a giant, but David just happens to have his slingshot. Riko in fact happens to have a narrative slingshot.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:03 pm Reply with quote
It's so frustrating that seemingly so few people are watching this show. I just plowed through the available manga in a day after seeing the first 3 eps and I'm still excited for each new episode. I can't stop thinking about how awesome it is!
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
It's so frustrating that seemingly so few people are watching this show. I just plowed through the available manga in a day after seeing the first 3 eps and I'm still excited for each new episode. I can't stop thinking about how awesome it is!

Seems plenty of people are talking about it, and while I don't know the numbers, its review cannot be near the bottom in terms of views. It's got plenty of people following it on MAL (top ten of the season in number of members of the ones legally available for streaming outside Japan). What led you to the conclusion that few people are watching?
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

Seems plenty of people are talking about it, and while I don't know the numbers, its review cannot be near the bottom in terms of views. It's got plenty of people following it on MAL (top ten of the season in number of members of the ones legally available for streaming outside Japan). What led you to the conclusion that few people are watching?

Hardly any comments on here, not a lot of reactions on Tumblr / Twitter, nearly dead subreddit.

There clearly ARE people watching, but I wonder if Amazon anime strike is a hindrance to a wider audience so far. Or maybe people just aren't as into creepy dark stuff as I am!
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:10 am Reply with quote
It's clearly not the most talked about show, but 30-40 comments at this point in the season isn't too bad. Some shows aren't even above single digits and will be lucky to get much more than 10 or 15 comments. I can't speak for social media/reddit so I'll take your word for it. I think the influence of Amazon Strike is overstated, especially compared to Netflix, as at least we get to watch Amazon's shows as they air.

If there aren't as many people watching it, they are sure missing out. I mean the art is great especially the backgrounds. The animation isn't far behind either. Just this episode, we got not one but two monsters from Aninari (presumed for one of them). The story isn't weak either, but we'll see how they handle the stuff from the manga that has been so cheekily ominously characterized by its readers.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:53 am Reply with quote
[quote="jenthehen]

Hardly any comments on here, not a lot of reactions on Tumblr / Twitter, nearly dead subreddit.[/quote]

In the reddit/anime section, each episode reaction thread has had between three and five hundred comments. I don't think I would consider that "nearly dead". I'm seeing more activity around Abyss than most of the shows that CR is streaming this season.

Now I doubt that the majority of people are not watching it on Anime Strike, but the Reddit and MAL actitivity clearly indicate that a significant number of people are.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:05 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:

I have not read the source material, so not sure how it is going to play out, but I see it slightly different.
The choosing who gets the privilege of descending deeper depends upon someone high in the hierarchy (government or council?), and I would think they might want to control how many people get to descend, to limit the amount of potentially 'lost' treasures. If you sit on what looks like a pile of lost technology, you would not want just anyone to go down and pick it up, so maintaining the dangerous aura around it is in their interest.

Also, not much of the Abyss has been shown- it is bound to get more dangerous, if even experienced people sometimes do not come back. I assume the top 1 or 2 layers are relatively easy and Riko is not even on her own, but with Reg, who despite having lost his memories, has some knowledge of the place and is able to defend them.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Habo's arrival felt a little too convenient

I might agree if they hadn't gone to the trouble to give us a perfectly plausible explanation for it. He was sent after them and given an incentive to beat anyone going to capture them, not to mention obviously having a personal interest in Riko's welfare.

I'm loving this to pieces, though I can't say I've been too impressed with the monsters so far. They seem to have a different art style that looks like someone just slapped some paint onto a cel or something. They just look rough or unfinished somehow compared to everything else in the series.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
The choosing who gets the privilege of descending deeper depends upon someone high in the hierarchy (government or council?)

The anime has already tried to get the right idea across, but it would probably be easier to absorb if you think about it in terms of real-world locations such as Bushman's Hole:
Quote:
There are only a very few divers on the planet that have ever been anywhere near the bottom of this cave. And only about a dozen divers in the world ever dive to these kinds of depths, period.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
They just look rough or unfinished somehow compared to everything else in the series.

I didn't mind the birds, but that spider could have looked better.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I think it's worth noting the show's now on Hidive for people in the US and Canada as well. No announcement, it's just...shown up. Highly recommend this over Anime Strike.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is also a good week to mention the show's creature designs and animation, which have been uniformly excellent. I've seen some grumblings about the stiffness or strangeness to some of their movements, where they have an almost cel-shaded look to them that makes them stand out from the rest of their world. I think this actually works well for the show, giving the creatures of the Abyss an otherworldly quality that's further complemented by their striking visual designs. The corpse weepers look like some kind of unholy mix between a giant bird, a lizard, and a leech, and the shadowy, lemur-like inbyos highlight the veil of uncanny dread that cloaks the Inverted Forest. Made in Abyss would have really fallen apart if the Abyss itself turned out to be dull or lacking in creativity, but thankfully that couldn't be further from the truth.

I have to agree on the creature designs and animation. The person in charge of the creature designs, and who animated a number of them, Kou "Aninari" Yoshinari has done a really great job I think. The otherworldliness of the creatures, accentuated by Aninari's very distinctive animation style, is a real highlight, though of course not everyone will agree. I'll give you strange, but I do question the idea that the movement is stiff.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I've seen some readers of the manga bristle at the relatively slight number of chapters being covered

There was a particular arc people were hoping would get animated, so many of them were disappointed once they realized the anime was not going to make it far enough. It's certainly unfortunate to have the anime end right around the point that the manga really finds its groove, but if it just plowed right past all the world-building and character development in order to reach the more interesting parts, the show wouldn't be worthwhile to anyone who hadn't already read the manga. Now that most people have come to terms with where the anime will end, the reactions to this episode have been a lot more positive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 29