• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Made in Abyss

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:38 am Reply with quote
Crunky wrote:
In fact two years ago another reviewer praised a show for doing the exact same thing only it was stretched out for 12 episodes long story short nobody even remembers the show anymore probably because they realize how much they butchered the source of material or it didn't leave a lasting impression outside the weak season it premiered on.

Why I remember that series like it aired yesterday! It left a great impression on me!
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:05 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Crunky wrote:
In fact two years ago another reviewer praised a show for doing the exact same thing only it was stretched out for 12 episodes long story short nobody even remembers the show anymore probably because they realize how much they butchered the source of material or it didn't leave a lasting impression outside the weak season it premiered on.

Why I remember that series like it aired yesterday! It left a great impression on me!

I'm sure that reply was sarcastic, but what show was that?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:50 am Reply with quote
The very show he was talking about of course. What else could it be?
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:43 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The very show he was talking about of course. What else could it be?

Well nine out of ten dentists did recommended it,in their online reviews of course.

Again though,and on topic,Made in Abyss is a damn good, faithful, adaptation of the source material.
Viewers & readers alike were treated to seeing the first twenty-four chapters come to life.
b0dhi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:18 pm Reply with quote
This show was preeeety decent. It had it's strong and weak points, like, OST was amazing and so were backgrounds, but pacing was off and Ozen arc was lacking. I'd strongly recommend to read manga first.

Now I hope we will see spoiler[bonbon's wonderful escapades] properly animated someday.

Can't wait for even more fanmade content, based on the series.
Ragdollomega

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Crunky wrote:
traitorAIZEN wrote:
I bet some of the ANN casts are now regretting their choices in "The Best and Worst Anime of Summer 2017".

Why? Just because you're easily brought by emotion baiting of two characters who only appeared a few episodes ago doesn't mean everyone else is. In fact two years ago another reviewer praised a show for doing the exact same thing only it was stretched out for 12 episodes long story short nobody even remembers the show anymore probably because they realize how much they butchered the source of material or it didn't leave a lasting impression outside the weak season it premiered on. Made in the Abyss will wind up being the same.

That's funny, it seems like said anime left quite an impression on you to not forget it and be able to bring it up as such a specific example. Pray tell, what is this anime you speak of without the vague description so we can judge for ourselves if your given example holds merit?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
That was really good, I hope they have a second season, and third if need be.
Crunky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Ragdollomega wrote:
Crunky wrote:
traitorAIZEN wrote:
I bet some of the ANN casts are now regretting their choices in "The Best and Worst Anime of Summer 2017".

Why? Just because you're easily brought by emotion baiting of two characters who only appeared a few episodes ago doesn't mean everyone else is. In fact two years ago another reviewer praised a show for doing the exact same thing only it was stretched out for 12 episodes long story short nobody even remembers the show anymore probably because they realize how much they butchered the source of material or it didn't leave a lasting impression outside the weak season it premiered on. Made in the Abyss will wind up being the same.

That's funny, it seems like said anime left quite an impression on you to not forget it and be able to bring it up as such a specific example. Pray tell, what is this anime you speak of without the vague description so we can judge for ourselves if your given example holds merit?

Thanks for proving my point.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, I initially dismissed it because of the art style -- but after seeing so much praise for Made in Abyss and being disappointed in everything else I've seen this season, I sat down and gave it a try, and I ended up making it all the way through MiA in two days. It's been a long time since I've been able to marathon a show like that; usually when I try (most recently with My Hero Academia) I end up falling asleep after two or three episodes.

It didn't feel slow at all to me, but maybe that was because I was watching them in rapid succession; it might have been worse if I was watching it weekly. In fact, there came a point where I thought to myself, "Well, they're on the fourth layer now, maybe they'll actually make it down to the bottom by the end of the show," and then I checked and was shocked to realize I was already on episode 10.

I'm pretty torn between whether I should hold out hope for a season 2 or go read the manga, especially if it turns out that the manga isn't quite as good as the anime...

Crunky wrote:

If you're trying to get people to guess a show you're thinking of, "There was this show two years ago that a reviewer praised but I thought did a bad job of adapting the source material" is not exactly much of a clue to go on.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I would've guessed BBB from what he said
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:

I'm pretty torn between whether I should hold out hope for a season 2 or go read the manga, especially if it turns out that the manga isn't quite as good as the anime...

The manga isn't bad, by any means, but it has a rough-hewn art style that some people aren't fond of, especially compared to the lush visuals of the show. Plus, the child nudity is cranked up to eleven, and what was somewhat subtextual in the anime becomes full blown fetishization in printed form.

Plus, the manga doesn't have Kevin Pekin's score to back up the visuals, and I'm on record for championing MiA's OST as one of the all time great anime soundtracks.
Crunky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:

If you're trying to get people to guess a show you're thinking of, "There was this show two years ago that a reviewer praised but I thought did a bad job of adapting the source material" is not exactly much of a clue to go on.

You guys are making this too easy and no I wasn't the only person who complained about how it handled the source of material. Try again.
killjoy_the wrote:
I would've guessed BBB from what he said

Yeah that's why its sequel is the second most anticipated show of this season right? Rolling Eyes
And how the hell did BBB did the exact same exploitation that MiA did to attract brown-nosers?
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Crunky wrote:

I'm sure your description applies to only 1 show in the whole of anime.
Crunky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
Crunky wrote:

I'm sure your description applies to only 1 show in the whole of anime.

2 years ago in the exact same season
People made a big deal out of it and it was the only show that season people talked about
Nobody talks about it anymore

This is so difficult.
Ragdollomega

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Crunky wrote:

Wow, that's a nice comeback. I'll just waste all my time looking for a series that a reviewer praised, but was adapted poorly. I'm sure there's just a handful that fit that description. Again, give a specific example and maybe you can make your point, otherwise tootles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 29