• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Made in Abyss

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Crunky wrote:
Rederoin wrote:
Crunky wrote:

Thanks for proving my point.

I'm sure your description applies to only 1 show in the whole of anime.

2 years ago in the exact same season
People made a big deal out of it and it was the only show that season people talked about
Nobody talks about it anymore

This is so difficult.

If nobody else is laughing, the problem is that your joke doesn't work, not that they have no sense of humor. I think it's safe to say you're outnumbered on this one, bro.

I have doubtless the best memory here of who was reviewing what in Summer of 2015, what kind of scores they gave it, what the shows were about, and how well it was remembered as time passed, and I still have no clue what show he was talking about. I have some guesses, but none of them match all the criteria of his attempted comparison. You've lost everybody on this one, dude. Your perception of either the reviewer's scores, the content's similarity to Made in Abyss, or its impact on an audience immediate or long-term is too far out there for anyone to tell what the hell you're insinuating.

I'd love to know what show he thinks he's talking about now though. Laughing
Crunky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Ragdollomega wrote:
Crunky wrote:

Wow, that's a nice comeback. I'll just waste all my time looking for a series that a reviewer praised, but was adapted poorly. I'm sure there's just a handful that fit that description. Again, give a specific example and maybe you can make your point, otherwise tootles.

Thank you. Its very effective because you've yet to pinpoint what series I'm referring to inspite of all the praise it garnered for doing the exact same baiting that MiA. Maybe in school you should have stayed alive during class because you would have been taught better reading comprehension.
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Crunky wrote:
Rederoin wrote:
Crunky wrote:

I'm sure your description applies to only 1 show in the whole of anime.

2 years ago in the exact same season
People made a big deal out of it and it was the only show that season people talked about
Nobody talks about it anymore

This is so difficult.

Kind of is difficult considering the Summer 2015 season had several shows people were talking about. I mean Dragon Ball Super premiered in that season for crying out loud.

In terms of a series where they messed with the source material and it was a show people were talking about a lot? Gangsta and Overlord are the only 2 that come to mind and the former was fine before the last episode or two.

Rokka no Yuusha also stretched a light novel volume into 12 episodes, but again they basically adapted the whole dang thing.

Edit: So since this is getting off topic, I'll just say what I was going to say in my second post in this one instead.

@Crunky,

I brought up DBS because you were saying this other series(which you finally said what it was) was the ONLY show people were talking so much about. So I brought up probably the most talked about series of said season, that's all.

Gangsta wasn't highly praised though Overlord was in certain communities. Regardless once again I was looking for shows that people were talking a good bit about and had complaints about how the adaptations were handled. Both series fall under those two categories.

Rokka no Yuusha did get complaints from people that it was too slow and not adapting enough material, but at the same time others didn't mind it because it was basically adapting EVERYTHING from the first volume. Again, another show that was talked about a lot and somewhat fell into the second category for some watchers as well, though not as much as the previous two series I brought up.

So in the end you were talking about School-Live. While I did watch a lot of shows from Summer 2015, this wasn't one of them, though I heard all about the twist in the first episode and did follow some discussion as it aired. I never saw too many people claiming that they "butchered" the source material, though I know that there were differences. While the show was certainly talked about a lot, your vague description of it obviously did nothing but leave people confused. You essentially played a guessing game while giving terrible clues. Again though, it was not the most talked about series of that season.

Anyway, I don't know why you tried to compare that show with Made in Abyss in the first place. Congratulations on making people go completely off topic for a couple pages though I guess?

Last edited by BlueBeast33 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Crunky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
BlueBeast33 wrote:

Kind of is difficult considering the Summer 2015 season had several shows people were talking about. I mean Dragon Ball Super premiered in that season for crying out loud.

I didn't know Dragonball Super was a 12 episode anime! Hell I didn't even know Dragonball Super had reviews on this site before last year!

Quote:

In terms of a series where they messed with the source material and it was a show people were talking about a lot? Gangsta and Overlord are the only 2 that come to mind and the former was fine before the last episode or two.

These shows weren't highly praised either. Gangsta pretty much fizzed out entirely and Overlord was deemed nothing short of "dumb fun".
Quote:

Rokka no Yuusha also stretched a light novel volume into 12 episodes, but again they basically adapted the whole dang thing.

You mean the show quoted as being the biggest disappointment both financially and critically that led to the downfall of the studio behind it? Yeah.

Oh my god, this is really embarrassing. Did all of you really forget about spoiler[School-Live!] so easily?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Crunky wrote:
Oh my god, this is really embarrassing. Did all of you really forget about spoiler[School-Live!] so easily?

What's embarrassing is that you're actually serious about this assertion. How preposterous it is explains why no one could figure out what you were talking about.

Yes, that one is dramatically different from its source manga, although "butchered" implies that the adaptation did a terrible job. Most familiar with both agree that it didn't, even though it told things differently. In fact, even people familiar with the manga put it among their best of the season.

And I can guarantee you that the series hasn't been forgotten, especially with it coming out on Blu-Ray this year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Ah okay, School-Live. So, that doesn't work at all. That show is probably the most well-remembered one-cour series of Summer 2015 (stuff related to it still does good traffic for us), fans of the manga generally seemed to love the adaptation, it did pretty well in end-of-the-year lists, and it's on our shortlist of stuff to cover for the podcast because of how relatively well-remembered it is in general. So I don't know what kind of point you were trying to make with that, but if you're comparing a series that was received really well by critics and general anime fan audiences as it aired, then remembered fondly in the short term beyond its run, to Made in Abyss, then yeah, I guess they would have all that in common. Can't say any of that is negative though!

Now Charlotte, THAT was a hyped show that got positive attention for a while and then forgotten fast. But I get the distinct impression Made in Abyss will be more of a School-Live situation, even if neither of them fits whatever "derailed hype train" scenario you were failing to describe.
Crunky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Crunky wrote:

What's embarrassing is that you're actually serious about this assertion. How preposterous it is explains why no one could figure out what you were talking about.

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-10-20/ann-best-of-summer-anime-2015-poll-results/.94362
Yes how preposterous that the 2nd best anime of summer 2015 as voted by the ANN readers would not be remembered.

Quote:
Yes, that one is dramatically different from its source manga, although "butchered" implies that the adaptation did a terrible job. Most familiar with both agree that it didn't, even though it told things differently. In fact, even people familiar with the manga put it among their best of the season.

Of course it did a terrible job, there were people complaining about how the anime ruined a lot of aspects of the manga including giving a damn dog more spotlight than he needed of course now with the manga officially past the point where the anime ended people can see how the anime was the inferior product but because the show was exploitative it gets high marks due to the juxtification of cute character designs doing non-cute things.
Quote:

And I can guarantee you that the series hasn't been forgotten, especially with it coming out on Blu-Ray this year.

Yeah you say this after two pages of people having trouble remembering it.
Crunky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
Ah okay, School-Live. So, that doesn't work at all. That show is probably the most well-remembered one-cour series of Summer 2015 (stuff related to it still does good traffic for us), fans of the manga generally seemed to love the adaptation, it did pretty well in end-of-the-year lists, and it's on our shortlist of stuff to cover for the podcast because of how relatively well-remembered it is in general.

So well-remembered it slipped your mind completely Rolling Eyes
For an anime that was literally the most talked about thing of a weak season I don't know how you could make that mistake

Quote:
So I don't know what kind of point you were trying to make with that, but if you're comparing a series that was received really well by critics and general anime fan audiences as it aired, then remembered fondly in the short term beyond its run, to Made in Abyss, then yeah, I guess they would have all that in common. Can't say any of that is negative though!

Two emotionally manipulative pieces of work are praised for nothing more than shock value and are completely forgotten (as proven by this debacle) when the question gets brought up? It fits like a glove, But I guess when people think of anime Summer 2015 they think of the critically and financial hit anime Gangsta over it now.

Quote:

Now Charlotte, THAT was a hyped show that got positive attention for a while and then forgotten fast. But I get the distinct impression Made in Abyss will be more of a School-Live situation, even if neither of them fits whatever "derailed hype train" scenario you were failing to describe.

So much positive attention that every episode had someone from the comments make a checklist of every instance of a plot hole or inconsistency to the point where the reviewer couldn't be arsed to give a score for the final episode?
Ragdollomega

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Crunky wrote:

That's just faulty logic. If I easily remember it, then it doesn't meet your criteria of being unmemorable and therefore is not the answer your looking for.

Edit: Plus I do keep up with any articles involving that series on here and I have gone back and rewatched it a couple times. Razz

Last edited by Ragdollomega on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I thought this was a discussion about Made in Abyss, not a guessing game about a two year old anime.
Crunky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Ragdollomega wrote:
Crunky wrote:

That's just faulty logic. If I easily remember it, then it doesn't meet your criteria of being unmemorable and therefore is not the answer your looking for.

If you did remember the "second most popular anime of summer 2015 according to the ANN reader poll" then you would have proven me wrong but now you just look like a fool for not remembering the "second most popular anime of summer 2015 according to the ANN reader poll" thus proving me right.
Quote:

Edit: Plus I do keep up with any articles involving that series on here and I have gone back and rewatched it a couple times. Razz

Apparently not the "Favorite Anime of Summer 2015 poll in which School-Live ranked #2".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Crunky wrote:

Two emotionally manipulative pieces of work are praised for nothing more than shock value and are completely forgotten (as proven by this debacle) when the question gets brought up? It fits like a glove, But I guess when people think of anime Summer 2015 they think of the critically and financial hit anime Gangsta over it now.

I'm interested in what criteria you use to distinguish between effectively emotional storytelling and "emotionally manipulative" storytelling. Or are you saying that eliciting a strong emotional reaction in the viewer isn't praiseworthy, regardless of how it's done?

Last edited by 鏡 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I personally think that this thread has gotten a bit off track now. Obviously Crunky has their feelings about Made in Abyss made clear here at this point (Despite it not being emotionally manipulative at all. Honestly, if they think that, I figure nearly everything to them is emotionally manipulative). So yeah, I'm in agreement with yuna49 and I personally hope that things settle down here soon. (P.S. A couple days have passed since Episode 13 and I still feel many emotions about it.)
Crunky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
Crunky wrote:

I'm interested in what criteria you use to distinguish between effectively emotional storytelling and "emotionally manipulative" storytelling. Or are you saying that eliciting a strong emotional reaction out of the viewer isn't praiseworthy, regardless of how it's done?

Hey man I just think its funny that this website is endorsing a show that filled with underage nudity and sexuality that caters to piss and furry fetishes just because it has cute girls suffering in the last few episodes and is "atmospheric" which is a nice word to say when nothing of interest is happening. Rolling Eyes

Its just getting old at this point that shows that play the same drums get the same reactions.

Last edited by Crunky on Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
Ok, I personally think that this thread has gotten a bit off track now. Obviously Crunky has their feelings about Made in Abyss made clear here at this point (Despite it not being emotionally manipulative at all. Honestly, if they think that, I figure nearly everything to them is emotionally manipulative). So yeah, I'm in agreement with yuna49 and I personally hope that things settle down here soon. (P.S. A couple days have passed since Episode 13 and I still feel many emotions about it.)

Agreed.

Crunky, for whatever reason you're turning this into some personal vendetta against School-Live! and that's not what this thread is about. If you want to continue to crow about how you fooled everyone with obtuse descriptions that most wouldn't agree even apply to the title you're talking about then fine. Just don't do it here.

IOW, as Moderator I'm clamping down on that line of discussion. You can answer JZ's question about emotionally manipulative (as that's a separate issue) but we're done with the SL part of it.

EDIT: Oh, and what you mentioned in the last post has been brought up by the series' reviewer (well, except for the furry fetishes, which I think you're stretching on), so it's not like that aspect is being ignored.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 29