• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Made in Abyss

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:10 pm Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
So how about we get over it because it's just drawings.

I've never really understood comments like this. It seems to presuppose that an idea rendered in drawing or animation cannot be conceptually repulsive or agitating because, after all, "it's just drawings." Nobody would ever say that an animated story can't be funny, or it can't be sad, or it can't be exciting, or it can't be thought-provoking because "it's just drawings." A lot of us felt very moved and emotionally drained watching Riko's suffering and Reg's attempts to deal with it. The fact that we were watching "just drawings" didn't impede our ability to feel those things. Yet any time a person says, "ya know, I'd rather not ecnounter sexualization of children in my entertainment, thanks" somebody always pipes up with, "hey, it's just pictures!" as if that is in any way relevant. Oi vey.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I don't see any of this supposed sexualization in Made in Abyss. Does Riko occasionally appear without clothes? Yes, but so what? She seems oblivious to the norms of our society, and her lack of shyness around Reg is because she sees him as a robot, not a human boy. She walks around naked in front of Marulk because she thinks he's a girl. I don't anything seductive or all that sexualized about her behavior.

Thank you. I just got caught up on the show and was expecting a large amount of discussion on the engrossing mysteries of the Abyss and how cute Nanachi is, not this weird argument about literally nothing.

There's already a pedo-pandering show to pick on this season (Tenshi no 3P!), leave this show alone if you need to get your seasonal loli screeching out of your system.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danpmss

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:28 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
I don't see any of this supposed sexualization in Made in Abyss. Does Riko occasionally appear without clothes? Yes, but so what? She seems oblivious to the norms of our society, and her lack of shyness around Reg is because she sees him as a robot, not a human boy. She walks around naked in front of Marulk because she thinks he's a girl. I don't anything seductive or all that sexualized about her behavior.

Thank you. I just got caught up on the show and was expecting a large amount of discussion on the engrossing mysteries of the Abyss and how cute Nanachi is, not this weird argument about literally nothing.

There's already a pedo-pandering show to pick on this season (Tenshi no 3P!), leave this show alone if you need to get your seasonal loli screeching out of your system.

I hope this doesn't fall into the soapboxing categorization (in any case, this statement is completely impartial), but I would highly reccomend at least giving these last few pages of the discussion a read before claiming so (if you didn't already, of course), as we did some quite insightful analysis and opination for both sides of the discussion surrounding this matter in this given anime adaptation. This goes for any future commenter who just caught up and missed the whole debate (in my honest opinion, especially for shows like this, I think it is important to point these things out and properly discuss them).

That said, I would say that your aforementioned "Tenshi no 3P!" kinda falls in the "fanservice show" area, to be fair (meaning, it kinda intends to be exactly just that, a loli-fanservice show made for a very especific otaku niche), it's rather unjust to compare it to a show from a completely different "genre" where these are pretty much very minor elements that don't quite mix up well with what was actually intended to be enjoyed and appreciated for (and especially, for what it's in fact mostly praised for), for some people like myself.

I think this kind of argument leads to considering Made in Abyss as also some sort of loli-pandering option to be picked/chosen and compared to said other anime (denominated THE pick by you, in this case) as well in that especific category, and that's not at all what this series' main strength stands for (...although, as previously argued, it IS an element present in the scenario in some instances; it's just that it's obviously not the main premise of it).

And that's all I have to add regarding that matter.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:46 am Reply with quote
In light of the above several posts, guess I have my answer? (Even though no answer was given). Anyway, I'm sure we will have much more to discuss after the next episode airs Smile
Key

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:57 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I just got caught up on the show and was expecting a large amount of discussion on the engrossing mysteries of the Abyss and how cute Nanachi is, not this weird argument about literally nothing.

But how cute Nanachi is goes without saying! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
msgundam2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
We need a Nanachi plushy and a Mitty hoodie.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:49 am Reply with quote
I wanna hang out with Nanachi. Just not in the Abyss. That place is seriously effed up.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I do expect Nanachi merch at some point. A good figurine if nothing else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
If they come out with a Nanachi plushie, I think I'll have to have it.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
A plushie might also be tempting. Ryo-Ohki has long lacked a rabbit-eared companion on the back of my sofa.
danpmss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I would definitely buy some Reg merch with a extendable (doesn't even need to be too much, just not to be too little) rubber suction cup arms and such--

Just imagine how cool and cute it would be hanging that thing around in the wall or on one the sides of either your wardrobe or bookcase with one hand.

And also hanging in a "Spiderman famous train scene" kind of pose hanging from the two extremities of the window, or just at the top of your mirror, with both hands (those kinds of little ornaments, I like them quite a bit to be honest).
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Dear god this only had 115 comments for episode 10 how the hell are we hitting 300!? What did I miss!?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12;

Deathly ill child gets better the moment he's off the island? Methinks that 'forcefield' thingy might extend a bit further up than they realize...

Back in the episode when the duo descend the 3rd layer and Riko gets eaten by a plant, and again in this episode, it made think of how much the very nature of the Abyss resembles such a plant that baits and traps its prey, forcing it ever deeper, which almost makes it seem like the entire structure is one humongous living organism. Or perhaps it even is?
Dalek-baka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Speaking about stuff to buy I remember author tweeting something about Nanachi figure. So something might come out of it.

Also they are having some kind of restaurant with character themed drinks... including Mitty, which is rather strange.

Thanks the Maker for this pacing - they will probably end up with (manga spoilers)
spoiler[Mitty and Nanachi story, which will be brutal.
And than just to punch even harder Reg killing her - there will be tears, at least from me. As well as perfect ending (even if they made it faster there would too little time for fun and games with Father of the Year).]
Karl875180

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:10 am Reply with quote
Ep.12:

I also thought that the initial scene with the small child recovering from being taken from the crater rim town to the ship might indicate that a diluted form of the "depth curse" bubbles to the surface and seeing that small children are most vulnerable, affects them while others might not notice anything.

Similar to but milder than Ozen earlier, Nanachi exhibits a somewhat scruffy way of being friendly and helpful, I guess living in the depths of the Abyss makes beings a bit strange...
Nanachi's explanation of the curse sounds very plausible. And I was excited how Nanachi "remote controlled" Reg as a rescuer for the attacked adventurer. The inner conflict between own reason and obeying unquestioningly was very well expressed, and luckily the operation was a success. But didn't Reg use his fire beam against the orbed pincer, and we know shortly after that he falls asleep for considerable time? I don't recall that happening now, maybe it was just not shown due to this episode being rushed, or did they forget about that?

Seeing the behaviour of Mitty, I don't accept the assessment that hollows are non-sentient beings, I think that Mitty just has no way to express itself and be understood. Actually I have a suspicion that Mitty might actually be Riko's mother, seeing that it approaches and clings to her which Nanachi finds unusual. That makes the prospect that Mitty should be "disposed of" a lot more grim and dire than it would be anyway. Perhaps there will be a more positive resolution. (I'm always hopeful.)

On the whole, I felt that the episode was somewhat rushed, as if the makers noticed that they have little time to spare to tell their story. Still, I see so many loose ends that I cannot imagine them being wrapped up in one remaining episode: the question of what these hollows really are, it would be nice to have time for Reg's cooking lesson, of course the augmented team of three to set off exploring more of the Abyss, maybe reaching the bottom which is still considerable depth away... Just saw that the final episode will be a 1-hour-special (animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2017-09-02/made-in-abyss-anime-final-episode-airs-as-1-hour-special/.120864) but still, it seems little room for all this. I feel that it would have been easy to fill a whole second season but the extra length of ep.13 suggests that will be it, which I find somewhat disappointing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 29