• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Vatican Miracle Examiner

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Quote:
he's using his giant psyche to chop up a whole bunch of people

He's telekinetic? Razz

WHOOPS. Fix'd.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't put it past this series if that turned out to be right after all. Wink
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
Behold the Greek god of Death, Haro(s)

I'd ask if the author did no research but that has long been apparent. Even putting aside that they used the (so-called) Greek name and not the Roman version when they are in Italy, the word is of course not the name of the Greek or Roman god of death. Instead of, I don't know, doing a quick Google search, they just made something up.

Though the real gem in this episode was when Josef said: "I never did learn much about those 'complicated' people." You don't say.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Behold the Greek god of Death, Haro(s)

I'd ask if the author did no research but that has long been apparent. Even putting aside that they used the (so-called) Greek name and not the Roman version when they are in Italy, the word is of course not the name of the Greek or Roman god of death. Instead of, I don't know, doing a quick Google search, they just made something up.

Though the real gem in this episode was when Josef said: "I never did learn much about those 'complicated' people." You don't say.

According to my brief Google search, Haros _is_ the modern Greek form of Charon, the God of Death, but it would only ever be found when people are speaking modern Greek. For Italian children, it definitely doesn't make sense.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
lebrel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
James wrote:
This is what makes VME such an awful mystery show; at no point is the audience capable of solving the mystery themselves, because new impossible-to-guess factors show up every five seconds.

Well, to be fair a lot of Japanese "mystery" stories don't do this; there's an entire district of the genre that's devoted more to Shocking Revelations and No One Could Have Guessed That plot twists rather than whodunnit clue-plantinting. (For a very pretty but excessively gruesome shoujo take on that subgenre, see Adekan, which was up on JManga back when that was a thing.)

My problems with this episode...
1. SO MUCH STUPID
2. Amazon's translations. "Decapitating Clown" is awful, especially when the character is clearly a Harlequin type (who is typically less comedic than a "clown"; for bonus nitpick, in the original plays, Clown and Harlequin are entirely different characters). "The House Over There" is worse; I'm wondering if the Japanese was trying for something like "domos Haidou", a bona fide name for Hades. I was all set to get snarky over Haros, but it turns out to be a valid rendering of Charon, so props to the author for that.
3. I totally cracked up over the "thrown from the Matterhorn" bit. If it had not been immediately explained that it was a joke, I would have completely accepted it as one of the things that happen in Miracle Examiners-land.
4. Hemoglobin does not carry nutrients, and one would not expect low oxygen conditions to result in less hemoglobin.
5. So much stupid
6. They're playing up the BL tease a bit more, huh. I don't think that's gonna save you, VME.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:

3. I totally cracked up over the "thrown from the Matterhorn" bit. If it had not been immediately explained that it was a joke, I would have completely accepted it as one of the things that happen in Miracle Examiners-land.

Same. Laughing It was almost as if the show was mocking its own stupidity for a second...
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:

Yeah, I think pretty much anyone who's still watching this did, too. I had to re-watch that part to make sure I heard it right! Laughing

lebrel wrote:
6. They're playing up the BL tease a bit more, huh. I don't think that's gonna save you, VME.

Sigh, they really need to tone it down a notch with that. Been getting kinda annoying. Not that it'll help, though. Neutral
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:

Me four! Smile

Btw, hemoglobin A can slowly bind to glucose, but not as a nutrient transport mechanism since the reaction is not reversible. Still, that fact is useful in testing diabetics, as the proportion of Hb A1c is kind of a snapshot of average glucose levels over the half-life of red blood cells.

Seriously, the Dutch angles in this are totally out of control now. The morgue scene gave us these increasingly canted shots one after the other:

until they lost their grip on the camera altogether.

Next week half the episode will be shot with the camera upside down. Very Happy
Louise D'Armilly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
This anime knows exactly what it is doing and is enjoying every minute of it (as am I).
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
James wrote:
Quote:
Father Trones attempted to escape his sins by stowing away in the cargo hold of a plane, which somehow froze him into an extremely literal block of ice to fall from the sky into the aforementioned barn. Of course.

You gotta give it to the show that the real explanation is almost sillier than the "Matterhorn joke"... Laughing
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I really hope this anime doesn't turn into one of those types to allow the antagonist get away. Confused
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's time for C! to weigh in on VME and explain how it's really an absurdist comedy...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Was anyone else disappointed that they didn't have to literally jump into the boiling oil? I mean, I was expecting it would require an actual "leap of faith" as the poem said and it would turn out to be some sort of illusion like stepping out into the abyss(bridge) in Indiana Jones. The way it was, someone could've just lit it up because they wanted more light in the room, and voila, they're in.

Or, them leaping into boiling oil for realz could've been entertaining too...
lebrel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
James wrote:
Quote:
Father Trones attempted to escape his sins by stowing away in the cargo hold of a plane, which somehow froze him into an extremely literal block of ice to fall from the sky into the aforementioned barn. Of course.

You gotta give it to the show that the real explanation is almost sillier than the "Matterhorn joke"... Laughing

I came in here to say that. Smile

There is just one more episode left (I think?), so unless they manage to pull off something spectacular in the finale I think we can safely say this show has been disappointing, to put it mildly. The novels seem to have been fairly sucessful, so I assume the problem lies in the adaptation. I wonder if it would have been a better idea for the anime to just embrace the silly aspects of the story and go full camp...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6