• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Vatican Miracle Examiner

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaccide

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed every single one of these episodes. All the things that everyone is complaining about as being bad is just candy to me. I've never seen such a confluence of terrible that makes me laugh so much. Bless this series in a season so very low on humor (except for Gamers! of course). I hope the show gets picked up and dubbed with the Ghost Story treatment.
WeNTuS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:55 am Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:
Merida wrote:
James wrote:
Quote:
Father Trones attempted to escape his sins by stowing away in the cargo hold of a plane, which somehow froze him into an extremely literal block of ice to fall from the sky into the aforementioned barn. Of course.

You gotta give it to the show that the real explanation is almost sillier than the "Matterhorn joke"... Laughing

I came in here to say that. Smile

There is just one more episode left (I think?), so unless they manage to pull off something spectacular in the finale I think we can safely say this show has been disappointing, to put it mildly. The novels seem to have been fairly sucessful, so I assume the problem lies in the adaptation. I wonder if it would have been a better idea for the anime to just embrace the silly aspects of the story and go full camp...

I think you're wrong. Unless hitler's arc is anime original then it's just western anime fans feels too entitled to call this anime trash because of Hitler. I mean check any discussion surrounding this anime. People were enjoying it until Hitler suddenly appeared. Since then everyone start calling it trash.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:29 pm Reply with quote
^It wasn't "because of Hitler" but because of the ridiculous way Hitler was incorporated into the (already silly) story.

And if you'd actually read any of the reviews and/or comments, you'd have noticed that most people still seemed to consider the "Hitler arc" to be more entertaining than the rest of the show...
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Last episode is probably better than Hitler arc because of how surprisingly poignant it is. It's a sucker punch if I ever saw one, after the anime was mostly less enjoyable after said arc.

Basically, I expected lulz, but I got feels instead. I think the miracle is the bizarre set of coincidences that lead to Robert meeting his old friend one last time rather than anything else, not so much that the bone cancer was cured.

Last edited by encrypted12345 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:28 pm Reply with quote
At least, it was consistently funny bad rather then painful bad like certain other series this season....
lebrel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
So we got to meet Roberto's first boyfriend, and dropped a hook for the second season (which I sincerely doubt is forthcoming, considering). And Dying Little Brother also sees visions, apparently. Kind of a weak point to end on, frankly. I think they might have been better off with Sudden Reappearance of Exploding Hitler as a finale. (No one is ever actually definitively dead in this kind of story, sulfuric acid or not, right?)

WeNTuS wrote:
I think you're wrong. Unless hitler's arc is anime original then it's just western anime fans feels too entitled to call this anime trash because of Hitler. I mean check any discussion surrounding this anime. People were enjoying it until Hitler suddenly appeared. Since then everyone start calling it trash.

Dude. If the whole series had been as awesomely stupid as Demonically Posessed Split Personality Son of Cryogenically Frozen Hitler On Fire, the series would right now be being praised as the must-watch of the season (although not for the reasons the creators might have hoped). Hitler was the best thing that ever happened to this trainwreck.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:46 am Reply with quote
So it was a "genuine miracle" that Julia made a drug to save his life. Shall we investigate this miracle? Nah, no need to do our jobs when it's personal.

Actually, I kinda liked that episode up until the end, but there was enough meat to it (compared to previous arcs) that I kept being distracted by the limited run time to do anything with it, so it's too bad they didn't run with this earlier.

I certainly wouldn't watch it again, but it was amusing enough that I don't regret seeing it once.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:54 am Reply with quote
So Julia just happens to come along with a miracle cure for Joseph's little brother and Roberto is figuratively reunited with his first love - all's well that ends well, i suppose? Laughing

I agree that this final "arc" might have been more interesting, though not necessarily better, if it had been given a bit more time to unfold, but it fits the overall "quality" of the show, i suppose. That being said, i enjoyed this more than i should have and James' reviews definitely helped with that! Very Happy
Nagsura

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:55 am Reply with quote
The show was awful and had hardly no good points to it at any point, but coming back every week to read your reviews made for an unforgettable experience. I thank you deeply for them, since they definitely made the whole ordeal a less tedious one.
chaccide

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:43 am Reply with quote
Are you kidding me? This is the worst episode they've had! It had nothing to do with the rest of the series and it completely changed the characters that we'd known to this point...
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:55 am Reply with quote
chaccide wrote:
Are you kidding me? This is the worst episode they've had! It had nothing to do with the rest of the series and it completely changed the characters that we'd known to this point...

Like how exactly (not that i believe that there ever was much of a characterization to begin with...)?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6