• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Fantastic Female Friendships in Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I'd suggest Utena and Anthy, but I feel like "friends" is under-selling it a bit.

It may be premature to suggest this, but is the combination of Utena and Wakaba not worthy of a mention?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
I don't know who's editing these articles, but they need to do a better job. Like with articles talking about Naruto, the Nana's in this article are messed up. The title is supposed to be in all caps and italicized, but their names aren't supposed to be.

That's a problem with ANN's formatting almost everywhere, especially on older articles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Kosaka wrote:
I didn't get the impression that Rei and Usagi were best friends, while Usagi and the other Inner Senshi weren't.

It's the sort of thing that doesn't really become obvious until the final season. Rei was the only one of the group to realize that Usagi was depressed and Rei knew why. And, in turn, when the Inners are moments away from death during the final battle, the one who Usagi comforts is Rei.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
I'd suggest Utena and Anthy, but I feel like "friends" is under-selling it a bit.

It may be premature to suggest this, but is the combination of Utena and Wakaba not worthy of a mention?

That's a really good one. Though, even that is tinged with romantic overtones, just like every single relationship in the show. Wink
DoneOnHere35

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
We really need to see Darkstalkers come back. Sadly the last game (which was a collection by the way), didn't sell well, so there might be no chance for a sequel.
fanime99

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
First one that came to mind was Fruits Basket's Tohru Honda and her two close friends - both of whom are prepared to defend her against any and all.

Second, and even closer friends, are Eclair and Lumiere from Kiddy Grade.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't just have included Usagi and Rei for Sailor Moon, I'd have included all the Inners, especially ones like Ami, whom I say was the second closest to Usagi after Rei. She evolved and grew from a shy, sad, lonely girl into a kind, confident girl who always put her friends' needs above her own, like the episode when she was wondering to go to Germany or not, the episode with her being hypnotized by a MOTD, in one episode, when Makoto/Minako and Rei thought Usagi was just acting like she usually did, thinking she'd quit after three days (but they realized the truth and Luna did apologize on behalf of them, which to me is fine as friends make mistakes and incorrect assumptions at times), Ami tried to offer ways to help Usagi out, she stood up for Usagi no matter what, Usagi once even explained how kind Ami was as a friend to her how wonderful of a person she was, both of which being touching after seeing all they had gone through and grown after 3/5 seasons of the show, and even with others who weren't exactly her friends even if they didn't always agree with her (Haruka/Michiru) Ami wouldn't just leave them in danger. And there's plenty of other reasons shown, the interactions with her friends, why Ami isn't all "study study study" all the time. That's a reason why she's my favorite character in the show. Unfortunately Crystal tried to have Usagi claim Ami was her "friend" too early, and it didn't feel as touching as it should have, it kinda felt more like an "IN YOUR FACE" kinda way, I like the other, subtle way better, her meeting Ami, them hanging out and solving a mystery together...

And what about Chibi-Usa/Hotaru? All three versions of Sailor Moon that had them (manga, original anime, Crystal) did a fantastic job showing the strong friendship ties between the two of them, even with the different versions of the story.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
No Nagisa and Honoka from Precure? Decent list at least.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little surprised Tohru Honda,   Saki Hanajima, and Arisa Uotani from Fruits Basket where not listed as well but obviously not everybody can be included.
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:53 am Reply with quote
It's surprising that the friendship shared between Sakura Kinomoto and Tomoyo Daidouji of Cardcaptor Sakura didn't get chosen for the list, when I think of fantastic friendships between two girls in an anime, theirs is the first one that come to mind (to me at least).

I also liked the strong friendship shared between Hikaru Shidou, Umi Ryuuzaki, and Fuu Hououji of Magic Knight Rayearth. Another one I found endearing was between Mai Kawasumi and Sayuri Kurata of Kanon.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:39 am Reply with quote
The main girls of "Sakura Quest" are a current example of a fantastic group friendship.
zfunk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
So no Mihoshi and Kiyone from Tenchi Universe, for shame. I know Kiyone is not a canon character, but they dynamic was so great, it made my list despite it being not in the OVA canon.Though the Mihoshi special does lead the possibility that Kiyone does exist.

Another one I want to mention, it was very recent so I understand why it is over looked, but Atsuko Kagari and Diana Cavendish from Little Witch Academia. It still has the test of time, but at this moment, their relationship and its development was just beautiful done.
Vibrant Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:36 am Reply with quote
uh you might want to take another look at Galko, because I didn't know there were two Otakos in that series. Laughing
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:35 am Reply with quote
I'll nominate Cocona and Papika from Flip Flappers though their friendship has yuri undertones.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
NanoFate from MGL Nanoha...My most memorable female friendship duo. Anime catgrin

Yeah...friendship.

It first started in a rivalry...then Fate got befriended...and now they're living with their daughter in their own house.

Befriended = synonym for getting your shit blasted by a giant beam.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3