• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Magnificent 1997

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WingKing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the meantime, what's your secret favorite TV anime? Is it from 1997? Is it… is it Tenchi in Tokyo? Oh god, please let it not be Tenchi in Tokyo!

My secret favorite from 1997 is Ganbare Goemon, AKA Legend of the Mystical Ninja. I remember when ADV licensed and released that for North America in the mid-2000s, (with an English dub, no less!), because I got my hands on a sampler disc from ADV that had the first two episodes on it. I knew about LOTMN from when the SNES game came out in North America in the early 90s, but I didn't know there was ever an anime made for it. I enjoyed it, though, enough to track down and watch more. It was obviously a kids' series, but it was still a lot of fun, although I don't think I ever finished it. I should go back and do that someday.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:10 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Quote:
In the meantime, what's your secret favorite TV anime? Is it from 1997? Is it… is it Tenchi in Tokyo? Oh god, please let it not be Tenchi in Tokyo!

From 1997? It's Tenchi in Tokyo.
And because I've been defending it for twenty years, it's not so secret, either. Razz

It had some good ideas, and it does get a bad rap, but I think it's properly rated behind the first 2 OAV's and 1st TV series. The world feels small and uninteresting, the plot felt borrowed from a Pretty Sammy season that never happened, and the ending didn't feel very satisfactory.

That being said, I wouldn't say no to a 20th anniversary Ryo-Ohki mecha model kit, though.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to disappoint, but I do in fact love the underrated Tenchi in Tokyo--even while admitting it's not as good as the other Tenchi series.

Battle Athletes Victory is a definite classic anime that's in serious need of being license-rescued.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I love the Berserk '97 anime. I'd go so far as to say that anyone who wants to experience Berserk is perfectly suited just watching that--the 97 series is perfectly paced. Sure, it leaves out a lot of the over-the-top action and dark fantasy, but Berserk is so good without it. Nothing that happens in Berserk is nearly as interesting as seeing the rise and fall of the Band of the Hawk over the course of the Golden Age. It's like what Hemingway said about The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn: everything after Jim gets captured/Griffith's betrayal is just cheating.

Sure, the animation is garbage, but the rest of the show is so good. And that dub? *kisses fingers* Let's ignore the outtakes, 'cause those are a little played out. But the casting was perfect. Marc Diraison perfectly conveys Guts' unrestrained anger and vulnerability. Kevin T. Collins is fantastic at bringing Griffith's inhuman beauty and poise to life. Karrie Caranen is great at portraying Casca's commanding nature. (PS: Mike Pollock as Adon? Perfect.)

I remember an old review OtakUSA did for Berserk about ten years ago: "Tell yourself this: the first episode is the last episode. The final episode leads into the first." They follow up with "Now go read the manga", but hey, you know how I feel about that.

And GaoGaiGar? Yeah, that made me sad. The show got shafted in the US so many times. First MediaBlasters puts it on hiatus so they can work on a Voltron re-release nobody wanted. Then they release the second half of the series--without that awesome, awesome dub. A real shame. I remember an old ANNCast where someone from MediaBlasters who worked on GaoGaiGar (and tried getting GGG Final to be put under MB's consideration) explained the Disney Anime hyper situation: Anime hyper was considering GGG, but later on analytics revealed giant robots were out--and so they dropped it in favor of Naruto Shippuden. Because that worked out so well for Disney Anime hyper Laughing .

GGG is still one of my favorites. That show is a blast, and those big BULLET X/ZA POWAA boxed sets are treasures to me.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:04 pm Reply with quote
1996-1997 was my early years of being a Anime & Manga fan. 1997 was when I was starting to rent and watch more anime. I still remember someone in my school back in 1997 when I was in the 1st grade was like "Those Japanese cartoons are weird. How can you like them?" and he would probably later love the stuff on Toonami a year later oddly enough.

My favorite anime from 1997 are:

Ayane's High Kick (A very nostalgic title for me. I remember when CPM really market this anime all over the place in 1998).
Berserk
Darkstalkers OVA
Dr. Slump
Eat Man
End of Evangelion
Hakugei: Legend of the Moby Dick
Jungle Emperor Leo Movie
Princess Mononoke
Psycho Diver
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, two of my favorite anime came out in 1997. Utena and Perfect Blue are both amongst my most beloved anime of all time. I like a lot of the stuff that came out in '97, but I don't remember my take on Battle Athletes Victory. I did really like the OVA, though.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I have a "secret" favorite anime. I'm pretty open with what I like even if I know I might get some weird looks as a result of liking it. Now if this was a question about a guilty pleasure anime, then I would definitely have something to talk about. I'm pretty sure we all have that anime we know is awful, weird or toxic, but can't help but be entertained by it anyway.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I...haven't actually seen any anime from 1997 outside of Princess Mononoke. Embarassed

*gets pelted with tomatoes and booed from the thread* Utena and Perfect Blue are on my PTW!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
Indeed, two of my favorite anime came out in 1997. Utena and Perfect Blue are both amongst my most beloved anime of all time. I like a lot of the stuff that came out in '97, but I don't remember my take on Battle Athletes Victory. I did really like the OVA, though.

I thought Perfect Blue came out in 1998?
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Cuteyhoney F. I'm a big fan of the character designer, Miho Shimogasa. Absolutely loved some of the expressions she drew in the episodes she worked on in the S and SuperS Sailor Moon seasons. Also suuuppper nice in person. I really wish she would come back to another convention again. I'd love to hear some more stories about her experiences working on Toei Animation projects in the mid-late 1990s.
Jerry Cornelius

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:52 pm Reply with quote
My secret favourite anime from '97 would be Rayearth, I just love its dark reimagining of Magical Knight Rayearth which is still one of my top five favorite anime series. Rayearth also happens to be the first OVA I watched which is perhaps why I'm so fond of it.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:53 am Reply with quote
Let's see what we've got here...

Utena, which is just plain my favorite anime.

Slayers Try, while not the best season of the series, was still fun.

Of course, Pokemon. That's the reason for my anime fandom.

The Ghibli classic Princess Mononoke came out that summer (so did End of Evangelion, but it's not a personal favorite.)

Lots of continuing stuff, but that doesn't count. Also, a few series on my PTW list. Spring seemed to be the season for TV anime, while summer had the good movies. And I have to agree that 1998 was a better year for anime
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:11 am Reply with quote
I was thinking that 1997 wasn't a very good year for anime, but now that I think about it and see other comments, it actually was. I still haven't seen Berserk, but it's on my watch list and as a huge fan of the manga, I'm looking forward to it. Haven't seen Utena either, but it's on my watch list. 1997 was also The End of Evangelion, which is excellent, and the truly great Princess Mononoke; it's been quite a while since I've seen it, but I think it's probably my favorite Ghibli movie. And I can't forget Perfect Blue, which just might be my favorite Satoshi Kon film (not the best, mind you, just my favorite; that honor goes to Millennium Actress). And of course there's Pokemon, which defined huge swathes of my early childhood. So yeah, a pretty darn good year for anime, actually.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:14 am Reply with quote
I've seen some Meremanoid. The only version of it that exists in a language I speak is an Italian dub of it, but I've not been able to find the complete version. From what I've seen it looks like a pretty cool fantasy series. The OP animation is really interesting too!

Probably my favorite anime from 1997 that I've seen in its entirety though is Soliton no Akuma, which, despite a slow start, ends up having some really cool animation and goes into some really interesting science fiction ideas.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:19 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Sorry to disappoint, but I do in fact love the underrated Tenchi in Tokyo--even while admitting it's not as good as the other Tenchi series.

I probably should rewatch Tenchi in Tokyo. My memory of it is as a bad Tenchi series and not as an anime on its own. It could be better than... what I remembered...

Sorry, I can't say anything more positive about it than that as it is a romantic action comedy relying on earlier series for its characters development while at the same time ditching the larger sci-fi/fantasy elements that made those earlier series so much fun... in a favor of a magical door connecting the Tenchi country homestead to Tokyo, right?. And seeing that's what I remember, it's probably not really that good on its own...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3