• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is It Ethical To Import Anime From Other Countries?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:09 am Reply with quote
Here in germany a single volume with 4 episodes can cost around 30-40 dollar, so it's not that much cheaper than the japanese release in some cases. It's not rare to pay around 100$ for a complete one season anime. Boxed sets, which sometimes come out 1-2 years later, with around 10-15 episodes can cost around 60-80 dollars.
Sometimes these are even without japanese dub + ger sub (mostly older classics) or it has Japanese dub and subs, but these are very poorly because they are based on the german dub which can be really frustrating to watch if you know some japanese and the german translation was very freely translated so the sub shows totally different stuff.

It's much more affordable for me to import american sets, like a few complete 12 episode shows for 20 bucks each.
computerandy9

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:36 am Reply with quote
I always try to support the local Australian Anime publishers where possible: Hanabee, Madman Entertainment, Siren Visual, and Universal Sony Australia.

But quite often they will only release something on DVD... I'm not gonna start a rant about how inferior DVDs are here. But I refuse to spend my hard earned money on a copy of something that is worse than what I could stream on the internet, paid service or otherwise. So lately I've been importing a lot of titles from the UK where they seem to more consistently get blu-ray releases.

The decisions they make one which titles get blu-rays and which don't alway boggles my mind. And it seems more often than not the titles I like are the ones they deem not worthy of blu-ray. I guess there must be a portion of the audience that doesn't mind watching blurry anime on a modern TV...
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:47 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Just Passing Through wrote:
You're arguing ethics and morality over consumer goods. Governments don't work that way in a global market, why should consumers? If it is a legitimately licenced and produced product, who cares where it's made?

I actually wasn't arguing ethics and morality over consumer goods. I clearly said I was not saying one way or another my opinion on the matter. I was simply pointing out to nagpo that his assumption of the question being nonsensical was false. That the ethics of importing discs does in fact matter to some. I never once said I was actually part of that group. The ethics also becomes more of an issue for those items that are not legitimately licensed products.

My statement wasn't directed at you, but rather just exasperation at a first world problem. As a consumer, it's your money, spend it as you see fit within the letter of the law. This is a false concern about the Japanese anime industry getting its fair cut. I say false, because any legitimate distributor will already have paid the producers up front for the licence of the show, and they will also add a small proportion of the royalties.

It's also a false concern about local distributors, because it's just business. If a local distributor doesn't sell what you want to buy, then you are perfectly entitled to take your custom elsewhere. All the Anime release a kick ass Fullmetal Alchemist Blu-ray, I buy local. Manga and Madman release Freedom Blu-rays with a sound sync error, I buy the Bandai Honneamise release.

The bottom line is that I spend money on legitimate anime product, and somewhere in the supply chain, the creators get paid.

SpacemanHardy wrote:
DJStarstryker wrote:
I have the Japanese Gosick BluRays, and got them a few years ago, back before we thought it would ever be released officially in the US. It's released in the US *now*, but it's 1) only out on DVD, not BluRay, and 2) it doesn't include all of the extras my Japanese set does anyway..

This is not true. Funimation put Gosick out in a Bluray/DVD combo pack.

Seems like a little mix-up between Australia and US. Madman Entertainment released Gosick, and indeed Nichihou on DVD three years ago, and I imported those when it looked like they would be the only game in town. The same with Siren Visual's Chihayafuru. Who knew that Funi and Sentai would eventually give them BD releases. Not that it matters, as I can only spin Region B.

My most recent Aussie import has been Madman's Mushi-shi Season 2. Now if ever there was a topic worthy of analysis when it comes to ethics, it has to be Aniplex US's frankly ridiculous approach to licensing and pricing. They're like the kid who owns the Fullmetal football, and take it home when the game isn't played to their satisfaction.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:28 am Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
harminia wrote:
legality comes into stuff like rating

for example, new zealand refuses to classify a few anime, thus making them illegal in the country. if a new zealander ships that title from, say, australia, theoretically that's illegal and that show is a contraband item.

It has to be "refused classification" to be contraband. For example I imported "Garden of Sinners" from Australia. That was rated MA 15+ in Aussie but was not submitted for classification in NZ so has no rating. The only "Anime" I can think of that has been refused classification in NZ is some lolicon Hentai and an Excel Saga OVA spinoff for having underage lesbian sex.

I'm more familiar with the UK rules, but not having a rating or having a rating rejected makes it illegal to sell, but not automatically illegal to own or import. Even if it was rejected because the BBFC believes the content contravenes obscenity laws, that doesn't automatically make it illegal (but it is still probably something to avoid if you don't want to be the first Chris Hanley of the UK/AU).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
nagpo wrote:

" And those discs are important and do add to the bottom line, but the revenue from those is lower (in part because the discs are cheaper) and is received indirectly. "

From my understanding, and I'm by no means an expert, the japanese studios get barely any of the revenue generated by licensed DVD/BD sales in other regions. When people say you're supporting the industry by buying from Funi or whatever, it's not entirely accurate, you're supporting the american anime market but the japanese studios barely see any of it.

I find it hard to believe that Japanese licensors are ripping themselves off by spending time negotiating contracts and transferring materials for overseas distribution deals that don't provide a positive financial return. The choice for the vast majority of viewers in the US and elsewhere is not between "import the Japanese release" and "spend money on local discs/streaming." It's "spend money on local discs/streaming" vs. "watch illegally."

Spreading this "overseas releases don't count, only Japanese ones do" talking point basically amounts to industrial sabotage. If overseas viewers in the US and elsewhere get the idea that their local releases aren't relevant to the system, they're more likely to save their money and stick with piracy instead. And last I checked, bootleg streaming sites (the preferred piracy option for most of the viewerbase) aren't too good about sharing their revenue with Japanese companies.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I'm more familiar with the UK rules, but not having a rating or having a rating rejected makes it illegal to sell, but not automatically illegal to own or import. Even if it was rejected because the BBFC believes the content contravenes obscenity laws, that doesn't automatically make it illegal (but it is still probably something to avoid if you don't want to be the first Chris Hanley of the UK/AU).

Reading that makes me wonder how a certain major UK online retailer of anime goods is able to sell US editions, even of shows not released in UK, without running afoul of the BBFC. Though perhaps I should be more surprised about the fact they offer Imouto Paradise in their games section considering UK legislation of recent years...
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:06 am Reply with quote
For places like South America, hell, importing anime is only for those who can afford it. Which means almost no one can do it.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:11 am Reply with quote
computerandy9 wrote:
The decisions they make one which titles get blu-rays and which don't alway boggles my mind. And it seems more often than not the titles I like are the ones they deem not worthy of blu-ray. I guess there must be a portion of the audience that doesn't mind watching blurry anime on a modern TV...

I'd like to have blu-rays of titles that I only have on DVD (Gosick, 5cm/s, The Place Promised in Our Early Days, Noir, Madlax, El Cazador de la Bruja, Paranoia Agent, Metropolis...) but have ended up instead just visiting Japan and getting CD's and concert videos secondhand (and seeing and meeting the singers/musicians) where the Japanese-only nature is not a barrier, unlike anime releases.

The Australian distributors can't afford to single-handedly master blu-rays (the market in Australia is too small), they have to work with a US or UK distributor to master a version that is almost identical except for region code and perhaps whose logo appears at start up (which could be dependent on the region code anyway).
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:09 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
The Australian distributors can't afford to single-handedly master blu-rays (the market in Australia is too small), they have to work with a US or UK distributor to master a version that is almost identical except for region code and perhaps whose logo appears at start up (which could be dependent on the region code anyway).

Curious. For DVDs, it was often the case that UK distributors had to wait for Australian PAL conversions to be produced to save on the expense. I presume this one-way dependancy is no longer the case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:17 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

Curious. For DVDs, it was often the case that UK distributors had to wait for Australian PAL conversions to be produced to save on the expense. I presume this one-way dependancy is no longer the case.

Manga Entertainment were prohibited from releasing NTSC DVDs by their parent company STARZ. Once that relationship ended, the biggest roadblock against NTSC discs was removed. By the time that had happened, Australian distros were releasing NTSC discs as well, instead of re-authoring to PAL. That resulted in more than a few dodgy Manga authored PAL discs when they couldn't use the AU masters. As for MVM and Anime Limited, MVM use what they can get, while Anime Limited tend to release NTSC only. There have even been a few anime released Blu-ray only from them, because the Japanese producers want PAL discs for the UK or nothing. There are still a few PAL anime discs released here, mostly from MVM, and mostly because the Australians have mastered them that way, most notably the Monogatari franchise.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:09 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Reading that makes me wonder how a certain major UK online retailer of anime goods is able to sell US editions, even of shows not released in UK, without running afoul of the BBFC.

Well, DC-DVD ended up shutting down years ago. The one you're probably thinking of at least used to purport to be using a loophole regarding "private member clubs" and hence issued every customer with a membership number.

omiya wrote:

Australia has an advantage in that, as long as the discs have Region B or 4 coding on them, they can directly import spindles of discs from the US and repackage them. This is not as easy in the UK since the law requires there to be a BBFC logo on the disc itself (Australian laws do not) so there have been a number of releases that were on BD in Australia and DVD-only on the UK. There is an odd reversal happening now though, where Funimation UK (via Anime Limited) are releasing BDs in the UK which Madman are only releasing on DVD. It is Sentai, however, who produce discs that present a different logo in a different region so that the masters are universal across the three regions (Funimation usually just run off a Blu-Ray CMF file with the region changed but everything else identical).

Just Passing Through wrote:
Anime Limited tend to release NTSC only. There have even been a few anime released Blu-ray only from them, because the Japanese producers want PAL discs for the UK or nothing.

IIRC their only PAL disc to date was 009 Re:Cyborg.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
Reading that makes me wonder how a certain major UK online retailer of anime goods is able to sell US editions, even of shows not released in UK, without running afoul of the BBFC.

Well, DC-DVD ended up shutting down years ago. The one you're probably thinking of at least used to purport to be using a loophole regarding "private member clubs" and hence issued every customer with a membership number.

If logging in with email and password counts, then I suppose so. (That's a large loophole...)

They're celebrating their 20th year and they have a US branch as well. Most of my physical manga/light novel subscriptions are from them because then I don't have the hassle with Customs and their duties and paperwork if it happens to be anything pricier. Unfortunately UK will be out of EU in a few years, so I guess that'll be the end of that convenience... Sad
For anyone interested, they keep track of Australian releases as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4