• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What's Stain's Real Problem With Heroes?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:50 am Reply with quote
Some of Stain's past has been brought up in the recent chapters of Vigilante - Hero Academia Illegals, a spinoff of Hero Academia focusing on 3 titular vigilantes and their superheroing (2 have Quirks but never took official Hero curriculum, 1 is Quirkless but physically tough).

spoiler[Apparently he called himself Stendahl then, and was hunting villians instead of heroes. His look was decidedly less freakish then.]

*Vigilante is not drawn and written by Horikoushi Kouhei - it's by a different author and artist team.
Realquick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:07 am Reply with quote
sharkjack wrote:
Realquick wrote:
He's not a hypocrite he's been pretty firm on how he does things.

Yeah. If Stain went around calling himself a hero, he would be hypocritical, but he doesn't. If he went around insisting everyone needs to be hero like, he would be hypocritical, but he doesn't.

All he wants is for the title of hero to be a title reserved for those who put their lives on the line to do good. For the word hero not to be a job title, but a recognition of greater good.

Now, you could say that anyone who admires those types of heroes really shouldn't be going around killing people. Fair enough, but Stain doesn't value being like heroes, just heroism as it used to be defined. As twisted as his principles may appear, he stays true to them.
Not only that, he holds villains to a standard too.
Gasero

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Stain isn't really a hypocrite, but he is an extremist.

Those are usually the types of villains that people sympathize with. The villain that has a reasonable point, but goes too far in addressing the issue.

I have enjoyed watching My Hero Academia for that very reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2